Race for the Calder

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
@Pavel Buchnevich Kaprizov had no points and was a -2 tonight, so where do we go from here? Is someone else the new front runner now?

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I’d say it’s for Kaprizov to lose, which I don’t see, but Robertson after a slow start has been impressive. Kaprizov leads in Calder scoring and has made the Wild a playoff team; Stars are about 50/50 at this point getting a playoff spot.

Thankful though to see Robertson step up and I won’t cry about the Calder. Congrats to Kaprizov and hope the kids keep it up getting things back to normal next season.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Jason Robertson solidifying his case to at the very least be a Calder finalist, with another goal and assist last night.

Still five points back of Kaprizov for the points lead, but now tied in even strength goals and one back in assists....all while averaging two fewer minutes of ice time per game.

Gotta say, as craptastic as the Stars' season has been, stockpiling loser points, one of the few bright spots has been Robertson's play so far.

Reactions: Unspecified

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
3 finalists probably kaprizov, Robertson, Smith, with one of the forwards taking it cuz forward bias.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
3 finalists probably kaprizov, Robertson, Smith, with one of the forwards taking it cuz forward bias.
Makar won it last year and Ekblad in 14/15. Forwards are just more dynamic than D men so they seem to focus on that.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
apparently all a rookie dman needs to do is go close to point/game...

There have been 3 dmen in the last 16 years.

Perhaps I should have called it points bias.

Now I'm not sure if you're talking about the Calder or the Norris. :sarcasm:

Reactions: EXTRAS

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Robertson making this a race. Hopefully Smith picks it back up down the stretch.

If Robertson continues to close the gap, this could end up like 2014-15 where Stone or Gaudreau should have won the Calder, but since neither them broke away from the pack in scoring (both had 64 points and Filip Forsberg had 63), it went to a defenseman in Ekblad, even though he only had 39 points.

Recall that for the Calder you voters submit a ranked list of 5 players, and players receive points for votes (more points for higher ranking).
That year both Stone (154) and Gaudreau (157) got more total Calder votes than Ekblad (151) as well as more top 3 votes (138 for Stone and Gaudreau, 134 for Ekblad). So Ekblad won the Calder despite being left off of more ballots and top 3 lists than the two guys ahead of him.

There's a scenario where it finishes up like:

Kaprizov 56gp 46p
Robertson 51gp 44p
Smith 56gp 30p

If that's the case, I think would give Smith a real shot at the Calder, as a lot of the votes for a forward might get split between Kaprizov and Robertson. Smith could win the Calder while taking home less total votes.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Robertson making this a race. Hopefully Smith picks it back up down the stretch.

If Robertson continues to close the gap, this could end up like 2014-15 where Stone or Gaudreau should have won the Calder, but since neither them broke away from the pack in scoring (both had 64 points and Filip Forsberg had 63), it went to a defenseman in Ekblad, even though he only had 39 points.

Recall that for the Calder you voters submit a ranked list of 5 players, and players receive points for votes (more points for higher ranking).
That year both Stone (154) and Gaudreau (157) got more total Calder votes than Ekblad (151) as well as more top 3 votes (138 for Stone and Gaudreau, 134 for Ekblad). So Ekblad won the Calder despite being left off of more ballots and top 3 lists than the two guys ahead of him.

There's a scenario where it finishes up like:

Kaprizov 56gp 46p
Robertson 51gp 44p
Smith 56gp 30p

If that's the case, I think would give Smith a real shot at the Calder, as a lot of the votes for a forward might get split between Kaprizov and Robertson. Smith could win the Calder while taking home less total votes.

I am not holding my breath of Robertson solely for the fact is that a lot of writers left Heiskanen off their top 5 list which was absolute bullshit. Robertson should be in the discussion (Top 3) but if past dictates the future when it comes to Dallas rookies competing for the Calder then he stands no chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad