Race for the Calder

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Kaprizov - leading the race, leading the hype
Lankinen - co-MVP of his team along with Kane. at times dominant
Robertson - coming on, very impressive playmaker on a team that really needs one.
Höglander - two way beast, one of the youngest one of the lot, '19 draftee
Smith - best Dman of the rookie class

HM:
Stützle - fantastic offensively and creatively, not sold on his defense at all.
M.Anderson - incredible impact on the kings that is flying under many people's radar, second best D.
I'm biased but I'd think Wahlstrom/Sorokin at the very least deserve an HM

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
It's Kaprizovs to lose at this point.

Just curious how many goals Wahlstrom would need to have on him to actually be considered. I don't think anyone is passing Kaprizov with total points...

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I’ve been really impressed with Highlander when I’ve watched VAN. Real top line potential there.
Just watched some clips on your boy, he's a shifty mama-jamma.
It's good to see that type of player on the wild. It's amazing how one guy can make a team much more fun to watch.
I've always thought the Wild were a little Vanilla but such a much more exciting team and perhaps one of the most pleasant surprises this season.
I really hope you guys come out of the west at the Avs expense.
After our playins last year I gained a new respect for your fanbase as far as sportsmanship. Things would get heated but never trolling and classy after it was over. Not like the Blues fans who as soon as they lost the excuses come out and how it didn't matter cuz it was all a gimmick yadi yadi ya. Good luck and let's enjoy the caller race. I have to admit I judged Kril a little harsh cuz of his extended time in the K but he's the real deal and seems like a fun dude and a good player to be the face of the wild. And I love the whole tie in with the Russian resteraunt. Does minny have a lot of eastern Euros? I always assumed it was mostly a Scandinavian stronghold.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
How many of these rookies are the go-to offensive catalyst on their team, getting matched against other teams top defensive units, and still leading their team in scoring; vs. how many of these rookies are getting generally sheltered minutes as secondary or even tertiary scoring threats on their team, playing other teams "not-so-good" players, and being 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th on their team in scoring?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shesterkin? C'mon now.

He's a solid prospect but if the Calder were limited to only goalies, he'd still be behind Lankinen and Sorokin.

I don’t think you’d find Rangers fans pushing him to win. We know he’s a very good player and we don’t need a token trophy for our players. We didn’t push Fox for the Calder when he was as good or better last season than some of the guys that finished ahead of him. If Shestyorkin wins, that’ll be good, but we don’t need the league to throw one of our players a trophy.

Saying that, let’s not misrepresent the situation. Shestyorkin leads all rookie goalies in SV%, and GSAA/60. He’s also top 10 league wide in both categories. Lankinen has a better total GSAA because he’s played a lot more games with Shestyorkin recently missing 10 games, but I’m not sure what the argument would even be for Sorokin or Kahkonen. Those two aren’t even the best goalies on their own teams statistically, and it shows in their positions on their depth chart.

Shestyorkin and Lankinen have statistically been the two best rookie goalies in the league. Between the two, Lankinen’s numbers have been trending down after a great start, like his own team, he’s very inconsistent, and his only real advantage over Shestyorkin is more games played due to Shestyorkin’s 10 game injury. Igor is now healthy, so if he plays like how he has so far, he’ll be the best rookie goalie statistically at season’s end.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don’t think you’d find Rangers fans pushing him to win. We know he’s a very good player and we don’t need a token trophy for our players. We didn’t push Fox for the Calder when he was as good or better last season than some of the guys that finished ahead of him. If Shestyorkin wins, that’ll be good, but we don’t need the league to throw one of our players a trophy.

You really must not.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Saying that, let’s not misrepresent the situation. Shestyorkin leads all rookie goalies in SV%, and GSAA/60. He’s also top 10 league wide in both categories. Lankinen has a better total GSAA because he’s played a lot more games with Shestyorkin recently missing 10 games, but I’m not sure what the argument would even be for Sorokin or Kahkonen. Those two aren’t even the best goalies on their own teams statistically, and it shows in their positions on their depth chart.

Shestyorkin and Lankinen have statistically been the two best rookie goalies in the league. Between the two, Lankinen’s numbers have been trending down after a great start, like his own team, he’s very inconsistent, and his only real advantage over Shestyorkin is more games played due to Shestyorkin’s 10 game injury. Igor is now healthy, so if he plays like how he has so far, he’ll be the best rookie goalie statistically at season’s end.

Calder isn't a token trophy and no one in the league considers fox anywhere near Makar or Hughes.

Reactions: Ignite111

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

I do not think you understand how it works. Being the best rookie goalie does not require being #1 on your team statistically or otherwise. Sorokin will finish the season with better numbers, a historical fact.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Even though Kaprizov is basically running away with it it does seem like Ty Smith is getting back into his early season groove.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
LD Ty Smith(2000) is on an almost 50 point pace (full 82 game season), is +3
while playing for a team that is 13-16-4 and -22 (79 goals for)
- compared to Kapri(1997), whos team is 21-10-1 and +16 (96 goals for)
27 points in 32 games, +7, i think Smith has had better rookie season what Kapri so far,
stats wisely at least

My 3 top contenders are : Kevin Lankinen (CHI) Kaapo Kähkönen (MIN) Ty Smith (NJD)

#4 Jason Robertson (DAL), #5 Kiril Kaprizov (MIN), #6 Pius Suter (CHI)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
LD Ty Smith(2000) is on an almost 50 point pace (full 82 game season), is +3
while playing for a team that is 13-16-4 and -22 (79 goals for)
- compared to Kapri(1997), whos team is 21-10-1 and +16 (96 goals for)
27 points in 32 games, +7, i think Smith has had better rookie season what Kapri so far,
stats wisely at least

My 3 top contenders are : Kevin Lankinen (CHI) Kaapo Kähkönen (MIN) Ty Smith (NJD)

#4 Jason Robertson (DAL), #5 Kiril Kaprizov (MIN), #6 Pius Suter (CHI)

Kahkonen above Kaprizov is hilarious.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Kahkonen above Kaprizov is hilarious.

Kaprizov has 11 games vs play-offs teams (COL, VKG, STL), has scored just 6 points.
(Kähkönen been more important to the Wild what Kaprizov has)

for (points) example; Smith has 13 points vs play-offs teams (WSH,PIT,NYI,BOS), in 21 games.
another example; Robertson has 14 points vs play-offs teams (TBL,CAR,FLA,NSH), in 16 games

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Kaprizov has 11 games vs play-offs teams (COL, VKG, STL), has scored just 6 points.
(Kähkönen been more important to the Wild what Kaprizov has)

for (points) example; Smith has 13 points vs play-offs teams (WSH,PIT,NYI,BOS), in 21 games.
another example; Robertson has 14 points vs play-offs teams (TBL,CAR,FLA,NSH), in 16 games

You are also conveniently leaving out that Kaprizov ranks #13 among ALL NHL skaters in even strength points (J Robertson is #49 and Ty Smith is #120) ....and when the PP starts to improve back to the mean, his total points will take a dramatic jump.

And the bolded part of your post indicates that you probably haven't watched the Wild play at all this year. Kahkonen has been solid, for sure, but much of that has to do with how well the team does at limiting high scoring chances. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who actually watches the Wild play will tell you that Kaprizov is more important to the Wild than the Kahkonen is. Kaprizov is driving the play.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's Kaprizovs to lose at this point.

Just curious how many goals Wahlstrom would need to have on him to actually be considered. I don't think anyone is passing Kaprizov with total points...

Probably not, although I wouldn't say Kaprizov is running away with it, necessarily.

Jason Robertson only six points back with five games in hand, if he was getting Kaprizov's TOI (an extra 2+ minutes per game) I'd really like his chances.

Would've been cool if these two teams could play eachother this season, but I guess it'll have to wait until 21/22.

Also curious to see what Dach's return means for Pius Suter, and whether he dips off a bit or perhaps his stock trends upwards. He's tied for the rookie lead in the goals department right now, at 11.

Val

Jan 19, 2021
Kähkönen been more important to the Wild what Kaprizov has
Kahkonen is well i agree. But he is not number one in net. Kaprizov 1st forward of Wild.

Teams of these guys are not even in the playoff.

UPD Robertson scores tonight. His stats r 7+15

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He would have to go point per game and Kaprizov and co. to stop scoring at all. Not going to happen. He has been great but had slow start.
Slow start buried in bottom lines with scraps for playtime. Oh well, doesn't matter. Happy to see Eeli succeed, even though so many doubted him at the grand old age of 20-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad