Race for the Calder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His stats will never be superior in Rangers ahah

But they are superior, playing in Rangers.

And doing that for a worse team makes it even more impressive. He has a SV% that is 30% higher than the combined SV% of the two goalies the Rangers rotate for his back up. It's pretty much like the Vasilevskiy/McBackUp splits. If I see Tampa gives up four or five, I know Vasilevskiy didn't play. I don't need to look at the Rangers scores because I watch the games, but if they get lit up its probably with the the back up in.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Kaprizov has 11 games vs play-offs teams (COL, VKG, STL), has scored just 6 points.
(Kähkönen been more important to the Wild what Kaprizov has)

for (points) example; Smith has 13 points vs play-offs teams (WSH,PIT,NYI,BOS), in 21 games.
another example; Robertson has 14 points vs play-offs teams (TBL,CAR,FLA,NSH), in 16 games
Not even close. Talbot has been great and the Wild would be doing just as well, likely, without Kahkonen. They have split starts and lately it's been Talbot that has started majority of the games.
Can't say the same thing if they didn't have Kaprizov.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Right now I would go with:

1. Kirill Kaprizov
2. Kevin Lankinen - Chicago went into the season with probably the worst goaltending on paper. Instead Lankinen has them in the mix for a playoff spot.
3. Ty Smith - Tied for the team scoring lead now with 19pts as a 20yr. old defenseman

Then: Igor Shesterkin, Kappo Kahkonen, Jason Robertson

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t think Kahkonen has a real chance at the award. Even when he was playing well statistically I though he was a bit shaky and it was obvious that he was due for regression. Add in that he’s the backup and won’t get a large amount of games and that’s the dagger.

I also think Robertson isn’t getting enough love. We’ll se how sustainable this is, but he’s continued to impress me and show me levels I didn’t know he had. He has the potential to make this a race again if he continues his current play.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I also think Robertson isn’t getting enough love. We’ll se how sustainable this is, but he’s continued to impress me and show me levels I didn’t know he had. He has the potential to make this a race again if he continues his current play.

The rest of the team certainly isn't doing him any favors. :laugh:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I don’t think Kahkonen has a real chance at the award. Even when he was playing well statistically I though he was a bit shaky and it was obvious that he was due for regression. Add in that he’s the backup and won’t get a large amount of games and that’s the dagger.

I don't think most people even know who Robertson is tbh. A few writers have even kept him out of their top 5.

Dude is 2nd in rookie scoring and in less games. He's top 5 easily, maybe even top 3 in the race right now no doubt about it.

Exhibit A for Robertson not getting enough attention:

Best month by a Stars rookie in 25 years, led all rookies in points and was dominant. Lmao

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't think most people even know who Robertson is tbh. A few writers have even kept him out of their top 5.

Dude is 2nd in rookie scoring and in less games. He's top 5 easily, maybe even top 3 in the race right now no doubt about it.

Exhibit A for Robertson not getting enough attention:

Best month by a Stars rookie in 25 years, led all rookies in points and was dominant. Lmao

...this you? :laugh:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
1+1 for Kaprizov vs "a playoff team". So now he sucks a little bit less. Robertson scored a goal as well.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Skaters

1. Kaprizov, 35 GP, 30 points
2. Robertson 29 GP, 23 points
3. Stutzle, 34 GP, 19 points
4. Smith, 34 GP, 19 points
5. Norris, 37 GP, 19 points

Goalies (min 17 games)
1. Shesterkin, .924%, 2.29
2. Kahkonen, .920%, 2.34
3. Lankinen, .920%, 2.71
4. Oettinger, .909% 2.34

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
19 games is a wierd number min number for goalies.

Admittedly, I used 19 games as a way to exclude goalies who have played much fewer games. The next group of goalies would probably be Oettinger (17 games), Nedeljkovic (13 games) and Sorokin (12 games), but I just didn't they have played in enough games to compare to the four I listed. Just my opinion, of course.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Admittedly, I used 19 games as a way to exclude goalies who have played much fewer games. The next group of goalies would probably be Oettinger (17 games), Nedeljkovic (13 games) and Sorokin (12 games), but I just didn't they have played in enough games to compare to the four I listed. Just my opinion, of course.

I mean Oettinger played in half the Stars games with those 17 games he played.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I mean Oettinger played in half the Stars games with those 17 games he played.

That's cool. I just did it arbitrarily, doesn't mean anything. Doubtful that a goalie will win the award anyways....Kaprizov is close to locking it up.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Kahkonnen has only played 18 games.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Skaters
1. Kaprizov, 35 GP, 30 points
2. Robertson 29 GP, 23 points
3. Stutzle, 34 GP, 19 points
4. Smith, 34 GP, 19 points
5. Norris, 37 GP, 19 points

Goalies (min 17 games)
1. Shesterkin, .924%, 2.29
2. Kahkonen, .920%, 2.34
3. Lankinen, .920%, 2.71
4. Oettinger, .909% 2.34

All of a sudden Shersterkin has the best statistics amongst all rookie goalies, and he plays for Rangers, who aren't great defensively, to put it mildly.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I think the way Kaprizov's 1st season is remniscient of the glory days of Detroit. They also picked guys with later round picks, let them develop in Europe (mainly because they were stacked), but got NHL ready guys that played like Kaprizov, i.e. not raw 18-9 year old zit-faced rookies, but pro hockey players ready to step into the NHL.

Here are some notables and the age when they entered the NHL:
Datsyuk 23
Zetterberg 22
Holmstrom 23
Federov 21
Lidstrom 21
Franzen 26
Kronwall 22

Yes, slightly different era, team circumstances. None of those Wings won a Calder, but 31 year old Sergei Makarov did, as did 25 year old Evgeni Nabakov.

Were Kaprizov to win, he would be 24, same age as Panarin was when he won just 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad