Race for the Calder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Seemed to work against Grabner and for Skinner last time this happened IIRC. Interesting to see the older guy get defended this time around.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Whats the age gap between McDavid and Kaprizov?

Would have ti be less than a handful of seasons where the Calder winner is within a year or so of the Hart winner

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Kaprizov, Lankinen, and Ty Smith are my picks for finalists right now. If Chicago makes the playoffs it's close between Kaprizov and Lankinen, if not I think Kaprizov walks away with it.

IMO Stutzle should be in the conversation because of his age. He'll get some votes.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Kaprizov, Lankinen, and Ty Smith are my picks for finalists right now. If Chicago makes the playoffs it's close between Kaprizov and Lankinen, if not I think Kaprizov walks away with it.

IMO Stutzle should be in the conversation because of his age. He'll get some votes.

Just a reminder Jason Robertson is a Rookie too. So is eligible for this award.

2nd in rookie scoring and a comparable ppg number to Kaprizov. Unreal no one has him as at least a finalist.

Maybe just maybe people will wake up to that.

Had a highlight reel pass on the primary assist for todays game winner.

Reactions: Johno

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland

2nd in rookie scoring and a comparable ppg number to Kaprizov. Unreal no one has him as at least a finalist.

Robertson suffers from the same thing that Heiskanen suffered in his rookie campaign: unsexy market.

Robertson has been extremely impressive on paper and very good in the games I've been able to catch. I honestly don't know what would happen if Robertson came within few points from Kaprizov at the end of the regular season. Well, I know what should happen but the reality might be different.

Reactions: catters078

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Whats the age gap between McDavid and Kaprizov?

Would have ti be less than a handful of seasons where the Calder winner is within a year or so of the Hart winner

McDavid is three months older. January 13, 1997 vs April 26, 1997.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
McDavid is three months older. January 13, 1997 vs April 26, 1997.

Wow had no idea Kaprizov was older than Auston Matthews. (i looked this up as the age gap between the Hart and Calder winner this year will be less than when McDavid won his first Hart at age 20..when Matthews won Calder).

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Wow had no idea Kaprizov was older than Auston Matthews. (i looked this up as the age gap between the Hart and Calder winner this year will be less than when McDavid won his first Hart at age 20..when Matthews won Calder).

I'm in no way trying to diminish Kaprizov's awesome first season, but the following players are younger than him and have scored more points: Marner, Matthews, DeBrincat, Barzal, Fox, and Aho. McDavid and Boeser are also 97-born, but older by a couple months. Rantanen, Connor, and Pastrnak are less than a year older.

Reactions: Karl Eriksson

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'm in no way trying to diminish Kaprizov's awesome first season, but the following players are younger than him and have scored more points: Marner, Matthews, DeBrincat, Barzal, Fox, and Aho. McDavid and Boeser are also 97-born, but older by a couple months. Rantanen, Connor, and Pastrnak are less than a year older.

He’s 2nd behind McDavid in 5v5 P/60 playing with Rask as his center.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

I considered him but went with the three top guys in their respective positions. Robertson is in the unfortunate (and probably unfair) position of being in Kaprizov’s shadow this season because he’s another W. But he’s certainly right there in the conversation with the guys I named.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

How many of those players did lead their teams in scoring? How many of those teams did make playoffs?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You literally ARE trying to diminish his accomplishments.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Every player you just named is an incredible talent. Make him ineligible for the award if you want, but to come over and produce at a clip to be mentioned amongst those names is a win for Minnesota.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It's all rather silly, but there are still some fans out there that can't seem to come to grips with the eligibility requirements for the Calder. There are no bonus points awarded for younger players. If it bothers you that much that a 23 year old can win it, call your local congressman and have them pressure the NHL to change the rules.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am not a fan of older players being eligible but I love Kaprizov and think he’s a breath of fresh air. Same goes with Panarin who is one on my favourite two wingers in the NHL but my eyes roll at the rookie of the year award for him. Either way the NHL is going to NHL and the Wild have got an electrifying talent on their team now.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
While Kaprizov greatly benefits the sexy Minnesota market?

Ah yes, the unsexy "State of Hockey". :sarcasm:

Being in an unsexy market and having a team that is usually boring as shit are two different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->