Race for the 2021 Presidents' Trophy

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You play by the rules and guidelines that are in front of you. Right now, in the regular season a a win is a win is a win and is worth 2 points. Doesn't matter if it's RW/OT/SO. The goal is to win the game. The team that has the most wins according to the rules should be viewed as the better team.

In the playoffs there's no 3 on 3 OT, but still... a win is a win. Doesn't matter if you win them all in OT or not.

I get using RW/OT/SO as tiebreakers but I still think overall wins should be higher than those on the list. You win more games you should get priority. I don't even think that should be debatable.

I don't like the 3 point system... in fact I don't like the point system. I would just make a win a win and a loss a loss. Use winning % instead of points but this is hockey and that's not going to change.

3v3 and shootouts are a gimmick so that fans can leave the game with some closure without putting the players through endless 5v5. You get points for being good at it, so it does have value. But everyone knows it’s a compromise which is why it doesn’t exist in the playoffs.

Under old rules, more of Vegas’s OT games would result in ties rather than wins, and Colorado would likely have already clinched. This is the smallest possible way to acknowledge that.

Reactions: Mordoch

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm still conceding that RW are worth more than OT or SO wins but imo ALL wins should be more valuable than SOME wins.
But you support the 3 point system where Colorado would've clinched already?
VGK - 3X30+2X9+1X2 = 110
COL - 3X34+2X4+1X4 = 114

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
But you support the 3 point system where Colorado would've clinched already?
VGK - 3X30+2X9+1X2 = 110
COL - 3X34+2X4+1X4 = 114

Not really. As, mentioned earlier I don't like the points system at all and certainly not a 3-2-1 breakdown.

I would honestly just have win - loss and go by winning %

But if we're using points I would go by this...

1. points
2. total wins
3. RW
4. ROW
5. ROWS
6. head to head

After that I really don't care

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You play by the rules and guidelines that are in front of you. Right now, in the regular season a a win is a win is a win and is worth 2 points. Doesn't matter if it's RW/OT/SO. The goal is to win the game. The team that has the most wins according to the rules should be viewed as the better team.

In the playoffs there's no 3 on 3 OT, but still... a win is a win. Doesn't matter if you win them all in OT or not.

I get using RW/OT/SO as tiebreakers but I still think overall wins should be higher than those on the list. You win more games you should get priority. I don't even think that should be debatable.

I don't like the 3 point system... in fact I don't like the point system. I would just make a win a win and a loss a loss. Use winning % instead of points but this is hockey and that's not going to change.

Well the rules are in front of us, which is that RW win is the first tie breaker. Not sure why you need to change one rule and not the other.

Reactions: missionAvs

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Not really. As, mentioned earlier I don't like the points system at all and certainly not a 3-2-1 breakdown.

1. points
2. total wins
3. RW
4. ROW
5. ROWS
6. head to head

ROWS (regular+OT+Shootout) is the same thing as total win isn't it?

Reactions: klozge

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I’m sure even more than the President’s Trophy, VGK and COL are trying to get 1st in the West so they don’t have to play Minny in round 1. STL vs MIN is maybe the biggest gap between a 3-4 seed.

Dafuq? Blues are better team than Minnesota, right now for sure. Though i want Avs to win Presidents Trophy and home-ice thing, i would rather played Minnie than Blues.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Dafuq? Blues are better team than Minnesota, right now for sure. Though i want Avs to win Presidents Trophy and home-ice thing, i would rather played Minnie than Blues.

Ya. I'm sure thats Bednar's thought too, which is why we're playing JJ.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
If the Avs are gonna win this thing it doesn't matter who they have to go through. Having home ice advantage matters, especially for the Avs and their altitude advantage.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO

the Blues have half as many regulation wins as Colorado and fewer overall than Ottawa. They aren’t a good team. On top of that, Minnesota has done quite well against Vegas this year and could take out the Avs strongest competition

Reactions: Lemonlimey

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ya. I'm sure thats Bednar's thought too, which is why we're playing JJ.

I guess you can win by defaults too if for example your opponent breaks the rules somehow (say, plays players that are not allowed to play)

Yes, you're right. It would be redundant at that point.

1. points
2. total wins
3. RW
4. ROW
5. head to head

I think the disconnect here is on points vs. wins... which is why I don't like the current points system or really any points system.

When I say we all play by the rules in front of us, I mean that a Reg/OT/SO win are all worth the same amount of points. Doesn't matter how you get them a win is worth 2 points. Points are what teams are trying to collect.

I think overall, value should be put on winning games, because that's the goal. Not how you win them. You have 3 ways to win a game and they are all worth the same amount of points.

Team A with a record of 60-20-2 shouldn't lose a tie breaker to Team B with a record of 50-10-22 if out of those 60 wins, 40 were regulation but Team B has 41 regulation wins. They won 10 more games period, which is the point of what you're trying to do.

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yes, you're right. It would be redundant at that point.

1. points
2. total wins
3. RW
4. ROW
5. head to head

Think the order is still wrong but I get what you are saying. RW would be below ROW since you are pretty much equating all wins to be the same.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Think the order is still wrong but I get what you are saying. RW would be below ROW since you are pretty much equating all wins to be the same.

Just edited my response with more context.

I don't think all wins are the same. I think RW is the most important compared to OT and SO, but I think overall wins are more important than just RW if that makes sense.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
the Blues have half as many regulation wins as Colorado and fewer overall than Ottawa. They aren’t a good team. On top of that, Minnesota has done quite well against Vegas this year and could take out the Avs strongest competition

I guess they werent a good team 2 years ago, when they won a Cup, then. Cause they were not exactly stellar in regular season too back then.
Anyway, here is hoping thay Minnesota will beat Vegas, as you suggest.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
This is the one stat that's a bit weird with the divisions this year IMO
Anyways, I'll cheer for Colorado tonight.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008

1. points
2. total wins
3. RW
4. ROW
5. ROWS
6. head to head

How convenient that it doesn’t fit your narrative...

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I wish i could say the Kings looked at the stats and thought it would be nice to give Vegas a "last f*** you" but no, they just suck. You're welcome Avs fans.

Last edited:

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
When's the last time a team actually went to the White House to accept this stupid trophy?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Avalanche in these last two games so far 11 goals, which of 10 on even strength. Here's a sample of player goal amounts:
Rantanen 0, MacKinnon 0 (didn't even play, still), Landeskog 1, Kadri 0, Makar 0, Newhook 0, Girard 0... Tells something about the depth.

Jost is a lot better than we gave him credit for a year ago. Compher, well, I'm glad he's on a hot streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad