Race for the 2021 Presidents' Trophy

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Avs have 4 more regulation wins than Vegas so it shouldn't matter. Just need the 2 points I think.

Or is RW not the tiebreak? If it's ROW you're right.
Tie-Breaking Procedure

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
  2. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in Overtime or by Shootout (i.e., "Regulation Wins"). This figure is reflected in the RW column.
  3. The greater number of games won, excluding games won by Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
  4. The greater number of games won by the Club in any manner (i.e, "Total Wins"). This figure is reflected in the W column.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Have to think Vegas is cheering hard for LA tomorrow... President's trophy and also not having to play Minnesota in the first round.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Have to think Vegas is cheering hard for LA tomorrow... President's trophy and also not having to play Minnesota in the first round.
They can call a witch doctor and it still won't happen. La has gotten owned all season long against the Avs and are currently losing 6-0

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I’m sure even more than the President’s Trophy, VGK and COL are trying to get 1st in the West so they don’t have to play Minny in round 1. STL vs MIN is maybe the biggest gap between a 3-4 seed.

Reactions: Tryamw

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Why the f*** who someone ever claim to be a fan of another team? That's the 4th Sens fan I've seen do that this season (they could all be the same person)

Good chance it's a burner account. The poster claims to be "Leaf fan" but 99% of his/her posts are on the Senators or related to them many of which are mocking the Leafs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Still think it’s the biggest gap between 3-4

Biggest gap in points yes, I dont think its the biggest gap in skill at all.

In fact as an Avs fan I'd rather get the Wild all day long.

I think the Wild have had a bit of a Cinderella season similar to what the Avs had back in 13/14. They have pretty terrible analytical numbers and are rocking a sky high PDO. On top of all that the most important guys on that team are pretty young with little NHL Playoff experience.

I think they're prime for a disappointing and quick playoff exist against Vegas or Colorado.

On the flip side, Blues are looking a lot better down the stretch here, and are getting healthier heading into the playoffs as well. Throw in the fact they've already won a cup recently and know exactly what it takes to get the job done... I think they're a solid underdog pick for a 1st round upset. Unfortunately for them they are playing the presidents trophy team and one of the best teams in the league whether its Colorado or Vegas so it will still be a very difficult task for them.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I really dislike this tie breaking system. The fact that you can have more overall wins than another team but lose the tie breaker is pretty dumb.

It should go Points, Wins, RW, ROW, ROWS and then whatever else you want to put in there.

Anyway, as @Arto Kilponen outlined it comes down to this.

If COL wins their last game, the trophy is theirs. If they lose then it’s VGK.

Reactions: Arto Kilponen

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I would like to have head-to-head as the first tiebreaker.

I don't understand why overall wins wouldn't be the first measure. In the regular season, seeding is determined by points so obviously that is the first qualifier. In order to get points you need to win games. The whole point of playing games in general is to win. Whoever won the most games is a pretty easy measure to use for who was the better team.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't understand why overall wins wouldn't be the first measure. In the regular season, seeding is determined by points so obviously that is the first qualifier. In order to get points you need to win games. The whole point of playing games in general is to win. Whoever won the most games is a pretty easy measure to use for who was the better team.

To avoid giving too much weight to 3v3/Shootouts which don’t exist in the playoffs. Is Vegas really a better team because they’re great at 3v3? We aren’t going to see 3v3 hockey again this year.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

This is why having a 3-point system makes the most sense. 3 points for regulation win. 2 points for overtime/shootout W. 1 point for overtime/shootout loss. Regulation W's should absolutely hold more weight than OT W's.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
To avoid giving too much weight to 3v3/Shootouts which don’t exist in the playoffs. Is Vegas really a better team because they’re great at 3v3? We aren’t going to see 3v3 hockey again this year.

You play by the rules and guidelines that are in front of you. Right now, in the regular season a a win is a win is a win and is worth 2 points. Doesn't matter if it's RW/OT/SO. The goal is to win the game. The team that has the most wins according to the rules should be viewed as the better team.

In the playoffs there's no 3 on 3 OT, but still... a win is a win. Doesn't matter if you win them all in OT or not.

I get using RW/OT/SO as tiebreakers but I still think overall wins should be higher than those on the list. You win more games you should get priority. I don't even think that should be debatable.

This is why having a 3-point system makes the most sense. 3 points for regulation win. 2 points for overtime/shootout W. 1 point for overtime/shootout loss. Regulation W's should absolutely hold more weight than OT W's.

I don't like the 3 point system... in fact I don't like the point system. I would just make a win a win and a loss a loss. Use winning % instead of points but this is hockey and that's not going to change.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
You play by the rules and guidelines that are in front of you. Right now, in the regular season a a win is a win is a win and is worth 2 points. Doesn't matter if it's RW/OT/SO. The goal is to win the game. The team that has the most wins according to the rules should be viewed as the better team.

In the playoffs there's no 3 on 3 OT, but still... a win is a win. Doesn't matter if you win them all in OT or not.

I don't like the 3 point system... in fact I don't like the point system. I would just make a win a win and a loss a loss. Use winning % instead of points but this is hockey and that's not going to change.

Agree to disagree. I think most people would agree that a regulation W should hold more weight than an OT/SO W which are more gimmicky in nature. This would be great for the standings/seeding IMO.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
You play by the rules and guidelines that are in front of you. Right now, in the regular season a a win is a win is a win and is worth 2 points. Doesn't matter if it's RW/OT/SO.
The rules and guidelines that are in front of you are not a win is a win. The rules and the guidelines say a win in regulation is a RW and is more valuable than a overtime win ROW. Is a win a win or is a win a RW? lol

Reactions: missionAvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad