Race for the 2021 Presidents' Trophy

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think it falls pretty far still from going to Finals in the first year.
Oh definitely. No question. Still though there's that window where a President's trophy would be pretty cool for Vegas that won't stay open forever.

I'd absolutely rather we win the cup but this is one of the few times winning the President's wouldn't feel like a useless consolation prize.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Oh definitely. No question. Still though there's that window where a President's trophy would be pretty cool for Vegas that won't stay open forever.

I'd absolutely rather we win the cup but this is one of the few times winning the President's wouldn't feel like a useless consolation prize.

I don't know if I'd ever call it a consolation prize because it's not predicated on losing the Cup. It's just another award you can win and might as well try whenever you're close.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't know if I'd ever call it a consolation prize because it's not predicated on losing the Cup. It's just another award you can win and might as well try whenever you're close.

The President's Trophy winner ends up being SC champions more often than any other seed (about 25% of the time). Like you said, might as well win it if you can. The curse thing is super dumb and not even remotely based in reality.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Canes are resting Hamilton, Staal, Aho, Slavin, Pesce, and Nedeljkovic tonight.

Call it a hunch, but I don't think we're actively chasing the President's Trophy.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The President's Trophy winner ends up being SC champions more often than any other seed (about 25% of the time). Like you said, might as well win it if you can. The curse thing is super dumb and not even remotely based in reality.
Oh I don't believe it's a curse (at all) as much as the NHL playoffs anything could conceivably happen. I mean Vegas themselves bent everyone's expectations pretty much every round but the Finals. I remember how after the G1 WCF loss, the idea that the Jets were too much for Vegas was so commonplace around this site it practically reflected what common sense should be and you'd be foolish to think otherwise. "Vegas got gifted a great team" as a common complaint/excuse really took off while Vegas was reverse sweeping the Jets.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think it will end up the exact way its in the diagram in the op
Vegas
Carolina
Colorado
Toronto.

Although it is surprising just how close the top 6 teams are.

Reactions: Tryamw

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Down to two teams. Colorado controls their own destiny. As long as Colorado wins both their games they win the President's trophy. Best case scenario they beat LA and Vegas loses to SJ on Wednesday and they can rest their players on Thursday.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Down to two teams. Colorado controls their own destiny. As long as Colorado wins both their games they win the President's trophy. Best case scenario they beat LA and Vegas loses to SJ on Wednesday and they can rest their players on Thursday.

Well, Toronto is still in. Yeah, unlikely, but it is only three games they need to go their way (plus their own games).

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Well, Toronto is still in. Yeah, unlikely, but it is only three games they need to go their way (plus their own games).
Yea they'd need to win all their games and Vegas and Colorado would have to lose all their games. Considering Vegas/Colorado is playing San Jose/LA it's not very likely. Also at least one of Toronto's win would have to be in regulation.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Yea they'd need to win all their games and Vegas and Colorado would have to lose all their games. Considering Vegas/Colorado is playing San Jose/LA it's not very likely. Also at least one of Toronto's win would have to be in regulation.

I wouldn't bet for Toronto, but seeing how things have lately went, it really wouldn't even surprise me :D

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Well can't be too bummed. Vegas played well for only having 15 skaters dressed.
They played unbelievable. As an Avs fan I didn’t fear Vegas nearly as much as other fans as the Avs played them really wel this year, even in their losses. However that effort last night was terrifying. The Avs play the game with pace and structure but Vegas plays with intelligence and poise. Their experience shows in the way they play and they’re going to be hard to beat.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
So barring any crazy third periods tonight it's Colorado if they win tomorrow, Vegas if LA wins?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad