Raanta Forced to Leave Game, Canucks Win

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Rangers didn't loose because of the goaltending.

If the league is going to pull a goaltender because of concussion protocol the goalie coming in shouldn't be cold. And since it isn't the decision of the team I don't see why they can't give the incoming goalie a couple minutes to warm up. At the very least just got to another tv timeout and let the goalie take a couple shots and get warm, hopefully the league revises this.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Rangers didn't loose because of the goaltending.

If the league is going to pull a goaltender because of concussion protocol the goalie coming in shouldn't be cold. And since it isn't the decision of the team I don't see why they can't give the incoming goalie a couple minutes to warm up. At the very least just got to another tv timeout and let the goalie take a couple shots and get warm, hopefully the league revises this.

Exactly.

Even though the Rangers played bad last night, it was still tied and they had a chance to win (or at least bring it to OT and get at least a point).

Absolute BS.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Your argument is that it's not fair. But it's equally unfair for everyone. That shouldn't change just because your player was pulled for concussion protocol. Yes it sucks but it wasn't specifically unfair for your team. If your team got special treatment then every team is going to want warmup time for their backups.

They could change the rule to when the goalie is hurt due to a penalty then the relieving goaltender can get a warm-up period. In baseball, a relief pitcher is allowed 8 warm-up throws. If he is forced in due to an injury, he gets as much as he needs. In football, if a player is hurt and the game is stopped to tend to the player, he must leave the game for at least 1 play or his team must use a time-out. However, if the injury is due to a penalty, he can stay in the game if he is able.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I am waiting for a goalie to be pulled after taking a clapper to the head that stuns them for a second. Then watch teams in the playoffs as part of their strategy start head hunting goalies with their shot in hopes of having the goalie sent off for a period of time.

There are implications to this rule that hadn't been considered and they will slowly start showing up. It is vastly different for a skater to have to go to the quiet room and he misses a few shifts, than a goalie having to go off.

I think that in a situation where the independent spotter removes a goalie from a game, or a penalty causes the injury, a 60-90 second warm up to feel a few pucks would not hurt anyone.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I remember an STL-CHI game last year where Hitchcock pulled Brian Elliott, put in Jake Allen, then later pulled Allen and put Elliott back in. He did this to give Elliott a break from a load of goals against, but it worked as a free time-out. And indeed it worked as the Blues recovered and won in overtime, but should that have been called out as shenanigans? Allen was ready to go without warm-up, then when Elliott got his head back on straight, he was also ready to go as well. As a Hawks fan, I don't see anyone other than the Hawks being responsible for giving up their 5-2 lead.
https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/stl-vs-chi/2015/11/04/2015020182#game=2015020182,game_state=final

How is the Rangers' situation anyone other than Lundquist's fault? He had to be ready and he wasn't.

You must be rather new to the sport. In your scenario, the blues made the decision to pull the goalies. Maybe hitch told them both to be ready and they warmed up between periods.

This was not the Ranger's call and the goalie was forced from the game due to a hit that was a penalty!

Totally different cases.

One situation has nothing to do with the other...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad