Raanta Forced to Leave Game, Canucks Win

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
Player safety is more important than 2 points in my opinion. The right call was made, if that translates to an advantage for the Canucks that's un-lucky for the Rangers. Didn't see the play but Granlund is not the player to run a goalie intentionally. I'll go find a replay and if I'm wrong I apologize in advance.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Any goalie thrown in to action cold because of a spotter forcing a goaltender out should be allowed a period of time to warm up.

Right. It's important to save a guy from a second concussion but goaltenders can't be expected to play cold, either. Suppose the NY guy pops a hamstring because he is cold and needs to make a tough save. Typical of the NHL to ad hoc the **** out of everything.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
There has got to be some kind off warmup allowed if this happens. I'm not saying several minutes, but maybe a minute (they can cut to commercial break because they sure love doing that).

Checking Raanta was the right thing to do, you can't argue about that, player safety goes above anything else. But going in cold without a warmup, might lead to another injury on the backup.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Why are people objecting to having a couple of minutes for the backup to warm up, in case he is pulled by a spotter? Let's not talk about this case here, but in general.

I think the spotters are good. I think the protocol is good. I think it would be even better if the protocol included 120 seconds warmup for the backup in case of a goalie. If nothing else it would reduce the risk of the backup being injured.

The game would be delayed by 120 seconds. That is a negative but nothing major in my opinion. Why are people so strongly against it? Is there some other negatives I am missing?

sourdough

Sep 23, 2009
Why are people objecting to having a couple of minutes for the backup to warm up, in case he is pulled by a spotter? Let's not talk about this case here, but in general.

I think the spotters are good. I think the protocol is good. I think it would be even better if the protocol included 120 seconds warmup for the backup in case of a goalie. If nothing else it would reduce the risk of the backup being injured.

The game would be delayed by 120 seconds. That is a negative but nothing major in my opinion. Why are people so strongly against it? Is there some other negatives I am missing?

It's fine as long as it's the spotter that pulls the goalie because they are independent. I wouldn't be okay if it happened when a teams trainer pulled a goalie because that can be abused by a team that is chasing a lead late in the third.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
It's fine as long as it's the spotter that pulls the goalie because they are independent. I wouldn't be okay if it happened when a teams trainer pulled a goalie because that can be abused by a team that is chasing a lead late in the third.

Of course.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nobody else gets warmup time so why should Lundqvist ? This isn't unusual. Backups are always put in cold.

I think it would be reasonable to give the goalie a warm up in the event that the starter was injured on a play which the ref deemed warranted a penalty.

That said, it's currently not in the rules, and might be hard to apply in cases where the goalie initially stays in only to get hooked by league spotters.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
To me, this is a whole lot of moaning for no proper reason...

like, yeah it's annoying you lost but better safe than sorry... This is an actual persons life at stake here...

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Rangers sucked tonight, but it's disappointing that someone was forced to leave the game when he felt fine. It's also garbage that the backup can't warmup when the nhl forces a goalie change...

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
The Rangers lost because they played a bad game, not because Raanta was yanked. I still think there has to be a better way to do it in this scenario though.

colin6

Nov 7, 2016
If this same situation happened in a Game 7 OT scenario, you can't have a spotter making this call to pull a goalie 5 minutes after the possible injury and a team having to throw a cold goalie in there with no warmup. Give them a few minutes to warmup, it's pretty simple and fair. If such a situation happened and it causes a team to get eliminated, the NHL would get destroyed by the criticism.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
To me, this is a whole lot of moaning for no proper reason...

like, yeah it's annoying you lost but better safe than sorry... This is an actual persons life at stake here...

Why is this argument so hard for people to grasp?

The point is that Lundqvist was given no time to warm up- no stretching, nothing.

Clearly the player's health comes first. Giving the incoming goalie 2-3 minutes to prepare himself should be permissible.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Maybe not in the regular season, but in the playoffs they should give the team whose goalie goes off the option of waiting for the tests to conclude before the game resumes.

Otherwise, this creates a nice incentive for a goon to run a goalie in the playoffs in a tense meaningful game.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Lindquist should have had time to warm up, but you shouldn't have been tied with the Canucks in the first place.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Why is this argument so hard for people to grasp?

The point is that Lundqvist was given no time to warm up- no stretching, nothing.

Clearly the player's health comes first. Giving the incoming goalie 2-3 minutes to prepare himself should be permissible.

Thats what Im thinking too and not sure why people are arguing against this. Good point but should be obvious

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Proof that the so called king is mentally weak. It wasn't that he wasn't physically ready, the guy wasn't mentally ready.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
He should have been given a chance to warmup. It's not like the coach was trying to stall the game by changing the goalie, which I think is the reasoning behind not allowing a warmup. The league took over the decision and should make allowances.

Aestivalis

Oct 29, 2013
I remember an STL-CHI game last year where Hitchcock pulled Brian Elliott, put in Jake Allen, then later pulled Allen and put Elliott back in. He did this to give Elliott a break from a load of goals against, but it worked as a free time-out. And indeed it worked as the Blues recovered and won in overtime, but should that have been called out as shenanigans? Allen was ready to go without warm-up, then when Elliott got his head back on straight, he was also ready to go as well. As a Hawks fan, I don't see anyone other than the Hawks being responsible for giving up their 5-2 lead.
https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/stl-vs-chi/2015/11/04/2015020182#game=2015020182,game_state=final

How is the Rangers' situation anyone other than Lundquist's fault? He had to be ready and he wasn't.

ramdm5

Jan 30, 2015
Sweden
It's not like Lundqvist let in 2 supersoft goals. I understand the annoyance but I think putting in a cold goalie is the best way to go about it anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad