Raanta Forced to Leave Game, Canucks Win

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
My point was that Lundqvist should have been afforded a minute or two to warm up properly.

It put him and his team in a bad position.

I also agree that the Canucks played a better game, but the Rangers were starting to push the action, with Stepan missing an wide open net 30 seconds before this all happened.

I just think the League needs to figure out a better way to handle this type of situation.

And as someone posted, can you imagine if this happened in a deciding game in the playoffs!

THAT I agree with when it's a concussion spotter pulling a goalie from a game.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Simon Despres.

Yes. Yes, I do.

The key difference for me are their positions. I'm not disagreeing with either of you when it comes to players playing hurt, but there is a difference between playing and hurting the team while playing injured.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
That was a joke. But we didn't deserve to win anyway cause we stunk.

Seriously though, could you imagine the NHL doing that in a game 7? That was ridiculous.

You can probably pin a big chuck of that on Wideman and his retroactive concussion defense. Brought a lot of attention to teams internal concussion protocols or lack thereof.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Nobody else gets warmup time so why should Lundqvist ? This isn't unusual. Backups are always put in cold.

But the Raanta said he was fine. Jim Ramsey, one of the best trainers in the League thought he was fine as well.

He was unwillingly pulled by a spotter.

This wasn't a coach pulling a goalie because of poor play or an injury in which he was forced to leave on his own.

On top of everything, he was injured by a player that had a penalty called. The illegal play led directly to this!!

I don't think you grasp my argument.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The key difference for me are their positions. I'm not disagreeing with either of you when it comes to players playing hurt, but there is a difference between playing and hurting the team while playing injured.

I still think some players will feel that they can play through it, and that they'd make that sacrifice(not really knowing what that sacrifice is) because they want to be the one on the ice, and they want to be the one helping their team win.

The bottom line, for me, is that when it comes to concussions, I don't think we can trust the players to make the right decision. I think most of them still see concussions as any other sort of injury. Unless it's actually stopping them from playing, I think they'll try to push through it.

I have no idea if that was the case here. I won't pretend to know. I just think that if the spotters saw something that looked like symptoms there, they were obligated to take that decision out of his hands. Even if the player thought he was okay. Even if it hurts my team at some point in time, I feel that is something the league needs to take seriously.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
But the Raanta said he was fine. Jim Ramsey, one of the best trainers in the League thought he was fine as well.

He was unwillingly pulled by a spotter.

This wasn't a coach pulling a goalie because of poor play or an injury in which he was forced to leave on his own.

On top of everything, he was injured by a player that had a penalty called. The illegal play led directly to this!!

I don't think you grasp my argument.

Your argument is that it's not fair. But it's equally unfair for everyone. That shouldn't change just because your player was pulled for concussion protocol. Yes it sucks but it wasn't specifically unfair for your team. If your team got special treatment then every team is going to want warmup time for their backups.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I still think some players will feel that they can play through it, and that they'd make that sacrifice(not really knowing what that sacrifice is) because they want to be the one on the ice, and they want to be the one helping their team win.

The bottom line, for me, is that when it comes to concussions, I don't think we can trust the players to make the right decision. I think most of them still see concussions as any other sort of injury. Unless it's actually stopping them from playing, I think they'll try to push through it.

I have no idea if that was the case here. I won't pretend to know. I just think that if the spotters saw something that looked like symptoms there, they were obligated to take that decision out of his hands. Even if the player thought he was okay. Even if it hurts my team at some point in time, I feel that is something the league needs to take seriously.

I don't disagree entirely, but it is that person or players job to look out for their own well-being. We are talking about grown men so why treat them like children?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't disagree entirely, but it is that person or players job to look out for their own well-being. We are talking about grown men so why treat them like children?

I think that's a liability issue for the NHL.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The league has no choice given the impending concussion lawsuit.

Well, for goalies they could at least allow a warmup for the backup.

Basically the league should allow a warmup for backups in the case of a spotter pulling a goalie (and starter is allowed to return), or if it is coach/trainer discretion on a potential injury the starter is not allowed to return if a warmup is taken.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Well, for goalies they could at least allow a warmup for the backup.

Yeah. If the spotter is yanking the goaltender, and it isn't the team's decision, I'd be okay with them giving a couple of minutes to the replacement goaltender.

When a coach is pulling a goaltender, I think he probably lets the back-up know that he needs to get ready. Just because it's more abrupt on our end doesn't mean there is no warning. When the league is making that decision, you wouldn't expect that. Just because the end result is changing the goaltender doesn't really mean it's an identical situation. I think the league should try to avoid putting a team in a tough spot.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Your argument is that it's not fair. But it's equally unfair for everyone. That shouldn't change just because your player was pulled for concussion protocol. Yes it sucks but it wasn't specifically unfair for your team. If your team got special treatment then every team is going to want warmup time for their backups.

Sure, I was angry because it happened against the team I root for.

But my point was that it is a very difficult situation that needs to be addressed.

Once again, can you imagine this happening in the playoffs?

cheap77

Go Kings!
Mar 19, 2011
The Kings fan in my says bs and I hate Vancouver. The future doctor side of me says good. Potential brain injuries are not worth one game.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Any goalie thrown in to action cold because of a spotter forcing a goaltender out should be allowed a period of time to warm up.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just want to make a few points.

1. I have not seen the play in which Raanta was ran into but knowing Granlund, he has never even hit another skater willingly never mind a goalie. I have little doubt that it was accidental.

2. Protocol is protocol, you can't have exceptions for certain positions.

3. I think the NHL should do as MLB does with pitchers, in the case of injury the replacement gets extra time to warm up.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I wanna say no big deal the Rangers should of been in a situation to not lose if this happend... BUT if this happend to the Canucks id probably be annoyed so theres something there. Rangers kinda got screwed here and thats not right. League is screwing this up a lot recently

Hopefully the Canucks conspiracy theory fans can recognize this...

demonsurge

Dec 6, 2006
Perfectly fine with how this played out, as it's by the rule. It's an oversight that they didn't put in extra time for a backup goalie in this situation and should change that oversight immediately to prevent this from happening again.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Let's say he is concussed in game.

Doesn't get checked
In that game gets ran over again

Brain scrambled

Don't need more Simon Depres in the league (happy he got paid)

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Let's say he is concussed in game.

Doesn't get checked
In that game gets ran over again

Brain scrambled

Don't need more Simon Depres in the league (happy he got paid)

That's not really how it works dude. Your brain doesn't get scrambled from a concussion, it gets scrambled from severe head trauma. I know. It may seem like there is no difference but there is. There are guys who get knocked out cold and still get up with no real ill effects and then there are those who suffer from PCS everyday. All I'm saying is that it is not as black and white as you are saying.

Oh, and my future Doctor friend above. Know that. Each and every patient is different. Some have thicker craniums, some have more fluid in the blood brain barrier so not everyone is the same. And thank you for your future service. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad