GDT: R4G6 - Avs @ Lightning - For Great Victory - 6PM

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
its even sweater watching the "Quest for the Cup" documentary with Cooper constantly saying how "the other team is bending to their will" or "how they are breaking down and the Rangers wanted an excuse to lose, give them one!!"

Blah blah blah Cooper, you turned your time into a bunch of whiners.

Am I the only one that got huge Snake Oil salesman vibes from Cooper?

One of the things he said that started the alarm bells for me was during his press scrum the day after he whined about the too many men. Reporters were asking him about how he felt, and he was trying to change the conversation, so he threw out this hokey BS line he probably tells his players.

"The good thing about today.....is that it's not yesterday." I got huge BS artists vibes immediately from that. Like something a phony motivational speaker would say.

I think this is also why he just talks and talks endlessly in interviews. Like a grifter he's trying to control the conversation. He doesn't want others interjecting and messing up the narrative he's trying to sell. Listen to any used car salesmen or con man or cult leader, and they do the exact same thing. They just talk and talk and talk to control the conversation.

And the Quest For the Cup shows gave me the same imrepssion. And his mic'd up game audio they kept playing showed a guy who was just a cheerleader for his players during the game, as opposed to Bednar who was actually coaching, and giving them useful tactical advice that they could use on the ice.

I think that's the real reason he's so upset, and repeatedly told his players to take this personal, and turned them into whiny emotional people just like he is, which made them lose their focus.

I think this guy might just be full of shit. And I think the real reason for his whining about the too many men, then continuing to whine during his "backtrack" the next day, then his post game excuse fest with Weeks after they were eliminated, were because his success is built upon the perception that he's right about what he preaches.

If that perception goes away, so does the phony aura of him being the GOAT coach he pretends to be. It's the same reason narcissists refuse to admit they're ever wrong about anything.

BigCKU

Aug 16, 2020
Going back and rewatching the game is there a whinier bunch than TB? They cried every time something did not go in their favor all series but especially game 6. Stamkos goes and takes a shot at the ref. Then one of there players cross checks the ref that called no icing in the final seconds. Seemed like they felt they were owed the Stanley Cup.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Stumbled onto a clip with Finnish TV calling the game. The pBp is done by none other than Ville Niemenen and he absolutely lost his shit in joy when Lehkonen scored :laugh:
Nieminen is the color guy, not the one who lost his shit with the goal.

Nieminen is one weird dude, talks like he is some conservative 50's dad. Very slow with words as well, it takes forever to form sentences once the guy opens his mouth.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I still think it’s embarrassing 77 is retired tbh

I like it due to the weight of Bourque being one of the very best defenders of all time and him being such a large part of that cup winning 01 squad. Truth be told though, I'm kinda against retiring any number lol. I like the rafter thing but I don't think teams should make those numbers off limits for current/future players IMO.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
a05823d9-aafb-4227-9ed6-37612429fd13.webp
If anybody watches Better Call Saul. Cooper reminds me of Howard Hamlin.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
I love Makar as much as the next guy. He is the epitome of what an elite athlete should be in my eyes. But, this is his third season - to say he is a lock for his number to be retired seems a tad premature. Anything could happen. I'd say at this point EJ has a better shot. Makar is on track for it though, for sure.
Yep. I remember when we talked about this back in 2013 or 14 and many were thinking ROR, Duchene, Staz would be up in the rafters (probably my dumb self as well). Not a chance any of them make it here (granted none of them got a cup or even deep run with us) and only ROR has a shot at getting his jersey raised anywhere and I imagine he'd need a cup or two more or some deep playoff runs.

We have some elite guys though and I'd be surprised to not see at least 2 of them up in the rafters when all is said and done. Could be up to 5 depending on how things go.

Reactions: MartinSkoulYa

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Woohoooooo Stanley Cup Champions !!!!!!!!
One day I will tell the tale of my crazy-ass trip to Denver for Game#5 and who I met there but for now, it's time to celebrate!!!!
Now we tune into the draft to hear a bunch of GM's say "congratulations to the Colorado Avalanche on winning the Stanley Cup" right before they make their picks. ;)
They better ALL f***ING SAY IT! Lol

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
23 and 52 are in the rafters and you’re not sure about 92? Even some uncertainty for 29! Seriously? 8, 29 and 92 are locks. 96 too if he re-ups once his current contract ends.

6 is somewhat unlikely but not impossible if the powers that be want to reward his loyalty and the intangibles that he brings. The standards are really not that high so I don’t think anyone would really complain if it was retired.
I'm confused, 96 signed a big contract a couple of years ago.

Put 6 in the rafters, and 8 is certainly on track. Once 4 goes up there for Bo we'll be short of single-digit uniforms.

One of the things he said that started the alarm bells for me was during his press scrum the day after he whined about the too many men. Reporters were asking him about how he felt, and he was trying to change the conversation, so he threw out this hokey BS line he probably tells his players.

"The good thing about today.....is that it's not yesterday." I got huge BS artists vibes immediately from that. Like something a phony motivational speaker would say.

I think this is also why he just talks and talks endlessly in interviews. Like a grifter he's trying to control the conversation. He doesn't want others interjecting and messing up the narrative he's trying to sell. Listen to any used car salesmen or con man or cult leader, and they do the exact same thing. They just talk and talk and talk to control the conversation.

And the Quest For the Cup shows gave me the same imrepssion. And his mic'd up game audio they kept playing showed a guy who was just a cheerleader for his players during the game, as opposed to Bednar who was actually coaching, and giving them useful tactical advice that they could use on the ice.

I think that's the real reason he's so upset, and repeatedly told his players to take this personal, and turned them into whiny emotional people just like he is, which made them lose their focus.

I think this guy might just be full of shit. And I think the real reason for his whining about the too many men, then continuing to whine during his "backtrack" the next day, then his post game excuse fest with Weeks after they were eliminated, were because his success is built upon the perception that he's right about what he preaches.

If that perception goes away, so does the phony aura of him being the GOAT coach he pretends to be. It's the same reason narcissists refuse to admit they're ever wrong about anything.
He's like a little boy who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar try to explain his way out of the situation.

Reactions: MartinSkoulYa

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Glad they pulled it off in game 6....would have been better if they did it in game 5 since I paid a small mint to go to that game...not to mention picked up Covid on the trip and/or at the game itself...but they did it!

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014

A term for Cooper is also ''mealy-mouthed'.

mealy-mouthed​

Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.

meal·y-mouthed

(mē′lē-mouthd′, -moutht′)
adj.
Unwilling to state facts or opinions simply and directly.

[Akin to the German expression Mehl im Maule behalten, to be indirect in speech (literally, to have meal in the mouth).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

mealy-mouthed​

adj
hesitant or afraid to speak plainly; not outspoken
[C16: from mealy (in the sense: soft, soft-spoken)]
ˌmealy-ˈmouthedness n

Definition:

adjective
avoiding the use of direct and plain language, as from timidity, excessive delicacy, or hypocrisy; inclined to mince words; insincere, devious, or compromising

Example: Our local government is filled with mealy-mouthed politicians and self-serving bureaucrats.

Used in a sentence, Jon Cooper is a world class mealie-mouth

Your analysis is spot on about him. His post game pressers were appalling.

Brilliant.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
A term for Cooper is also ''mealy-mouthed'.

mealy-mouthed​

Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.

meal·y-mouthed

(mē′lē-mouthd′, -moutht′)
adj.
Unwilling to state facts or opinions simply and directly.

[Akin to the German expression Mehl im Maule behalten, to be indirect in speech (literally, to have meal in the mouth).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

mealy-mouthed​

adj
hesitant or afraid to speak plainly; not outspoken
[C16: from mealy (in the sense: soft, soft-spoken)]
ˌmealy-ˈmouthedness n

Definition:

adjective
avoiding the use of direct and plain language, as from timidity, excessive delicacy, or hypocrisy; inclined to mince words; insincere, devious, or compromising

Example: Our local government is filled with mealy-mouthed politicians and self-serving bureaucrats.

Used in a sentence, Jon Cooper is a world class mealie-mouth

Your analysis is spot on about him. His post game pressers were appalling.

Brilliant.

So, in other words, just your typical lawyer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad