GDT: R3G4: COL @ EDM: Sent Em' Packing! (COL Sweeps 4-0)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm a bit of a contrarian on this board regarding Newhook. I don't see what everyone else marvels about. He's young. He's inexperienced. He's small, He does not possess blazing speed and he's prone to mistakes. Maybe someday he might grow into a solid 2nd line center role but certainly not now. Folks here are always calling for him to be inserted in the line up and play with top line players. I don't see it..

I'll go further and really piss people off. JTC is way more valuable to the team right now than Newhook. Hell, Cogs and NAK are playing better than Newhook too....

I had high hopes for Newhook being that x factor that could slide under the radar in the payoffs, but he just doesn't quite look ready for a big playoff role yet.

That shouldn't be that surprising though. He's a rookie coming straight out of college that looked to hit the college wall halfway through the season. He had a decent end to the season but he never fully recovered IMO.

Making any kind of long term evaluation of what kind of player he'll be would be a mistake though. He could be a top six guy, but he also has the grit and work ethic to be a middle sixer, or a 3rd liner. He'd just need to focus on learning the defensive game more and the PK if he stays as a 3rd liner.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Okay, so he wasn't necessarily in the doghouse (though I don't care if it's a stupid rule or not, that's a really dumb penalty to take) it may have just been the fact that the Avs needed their top guys out since they were down two goals.

Regardless, dude needs to be better.

Uh, do you mean the goal WOULD have counted? I'm confused.
Sorry bad phrasing. Yes it would have counted either way regardless of the rule or if it had gone in directly after the deflection.

Reactions: Pokecheque

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I had high hopes for Newhook being that x factor that could slide under the radar in the payoffs, but he just doesn't quite look ready for a big playoff role yet.

That shouldn't be that surprising though. He's a rookie coming straight out of college that looked to hit the college wall halfway through the season. He had a decent end to the season but he never fully recovered IMO.

Making any kind of long term evaluation of what kind of player he'll be would be a mistake though. He could be a top six guy, but he also has the grit and work ethic to be a middle sixer, or a 3rd liner. He'd just need to focus on learning the defensive game more and the PK if he stays as a 3rd liner.
Biggest X factor for the Avs so far is SOB JT mothaf***in Compher.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
About the sportsnet broadcast last night, for those that watched it - 2 things stuck out to me :

1) In between the 1st and the 2nd period, kevin biesksa said smugly that the Avs were due for a collapse - Hrudey and Friedman kind of disagreed saying 'well maybe not a collapse'... Then in between the 2nd and the 3rd period, the camera pans to the segment and that douchebag was looking at the camera all smug like "see, I told ya" just because the Avs were down 3-1.

In your face, bieksa you f***ing jackass!!!

2) During that same intermission, Hrudey and Friedman were talking about Makar and really giving him a lot of props for about 2 minutes and then they stopped talking when ron maclean kind of interrupts and says "oh yeah but what about McDavid??" and then both guys are like "Oh yeah for sure McDavid, blah, blah blah"

It was both at the same time hilarious and pathetic. It looked like a frikkin' comedy bit. HOW DARE they talk about an Avs player and give him props for 2 minutes STRAIGHT without mentioning #97. Jesus Christ, it's almost as if ron maclean got a frikking angry earful from his producer WHILE they were doing it... laughable.

Yeah I saw that segment you're talking about with Ron McLean. I literally laughed out loud when he said, "but what about McDavid?" It was such an obvious attempt to steer the conversation back to the chosen narrative. Sportsnet was actually better at talking about the Avs than TNT was though.

I get why they defaulted to pushing the McDavid narrative. It's the obvious storyline. Best player in the world on a Canadian team. Both McDavid and Canada looking to break through and win a Cup. But the Avs have a couple of the best in the world players too, with a great storyline themselves having suffered longer than McDavid's Oilers.

The Avs had also been Cup favorites all year for most people and after game 2 or 3, the networks should have realized there's a good chance they'd beat the Oilers, and adjusted the storyline they wanted to push.

We'll see if ABC does a better job, but I'm not holding my breath. Especially if it's New York. The east coast bias will be in full effect.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yeah I saw that segment you're talking about with Ron McLean. I literally laughed out loud when he said, "but what about McDavid?" It was such an obvious attempt to steer the conversation back to the chosen narrative. Sportsnet was actually better at talking about the Avs than TNT was though.

I get why they defaulted to pushing the McDavid narrative. It's the obvious storyline. Best player in the world on a Canadian team. Both McDavid and Canada looking to break through and win a Cup. But the Avs have a couple of the best in the world players too, with a great storyline themselves having suffered longer than McDavid's Oilers.

The Avs had also been Cup favorites all year for most people and after game 2 or 3, the networks should have realized there's a good chance they'd beat the Oilers, and adjusted the storyline they wanted to push.

We'll see if ABC does a better job, but I'm not holding my breath. Especially if it's New York. The east coast bias will be in full effect.
"Cale Makar has just scored his 7th goal of this hockey game but... getting back to Adam Fox, did you know he can play the piano as well?"
"I did not know that"
"He's a multi-talented young man!"

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The high stick is based on shoulder level, not the goal bar. The goal bar is the measuring stick only if the deflection leads to a goal straight. That was not the case in here. What a clutch play by Lehkonen that was.
Yeah that's right. If my stick is raised above the level of my shoulder and the puck hits it, it's a high stick. Even if I am falling down or leaned over. Good catch.

Nonetheless Lekhonen's shoulder was above the contact point.

Always thought that was rather imprecise threshold. Everyone's shoulder height is different so a 6' player in a scrum with a 6'6" player is at a slight disadvantage.

Reactions: TheGrimReaper

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Agree but too many have been advocating for pushing him into a role that he's not ready for. I think its a safe yet mindless advocacy that a few folks here have fallen victim to.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
"Cale Makar has just scored his 7th goal of this hockey game but... getting back to Adam Fox, did you know he can play the piano as well?"
"I did not know that"
"He's a multi-talented young man!"
After the game I listened for at least five straight minutes of the tnt crew talk nothing but Cale and they all agreed you’d have to go back to Bobby Orr to find an equivalent. He was the standout and folks are finally seeing what we’ve all seen since he started playing with the Avs

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
IF and that's a big IF, Lehkonen's stick blade where it made contact with the puck was over the height of the goal crossbar, a whistle for high stick should have been blown.

No replay I watched indicated that the contact point was HIGHER than the crossbar height. Multiple angles, multiple cameras. The most convincing one was the ice level camera close up from the far end of the ice. The contact point was at or just under the height of the crossbar.

And the referee at the immediate end of the ice was in perfect position to observe this.
I thought I had this clear in my head, but perhaps not? Are there not actually 2 slightly different high stick rules?

1) A player who uses his stick to deflect or otherwise touch the puck when it is above his 'normal shoulder height.'
2) A player who used his stick to direct the puck into the net if the stick is above the slightly less arbitrary height of the goal.

In this scenario, the fact that Lekh was shooting would be immaterial. The rule dictates that a goal will be reversed if the puck was above the crossbar. The puck never constituted a goal, so the action would be the same as if it happened at the blue line - fine, because the puck did not violate #1 above. Why is this incorrect?

Canadiancon

Jun 10, 2019
I thought I had this clear in my head, but perhaps not? Are there not actually 2 slightly different high stick rules?

1) A player who uses his stick to deflect or otherwise touch the puck when it is above his 'normal shoulder height.'
2) A player who used his stick to direct the puck into the net if the stick is above the slightly less arbitrary height of the goal.

In this scenario, the fact that Lekh was shooting would be immaterial. The rule dictates that a goal will be reversed if the puck was above the crossbar. The puck never constituted a goal, so the action would be the same as if it happened at the blue line - fine, because the puck did not violate #1 above. Why is this incorrect?
You are correct.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'd say Byram has been the biggest X factor, considering that he wasn't even a guarantee to play in the playoffs at all, and especially since Girard got hurt. The Byram-EJ pairing has been tremendous.
I expected this from Bo. I didnt expect Compher to have 5 goals each one being pretty big sans the Game 1 goal vs the Oilers I guess.

Reactions: Foppa2118

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Hell yeah everyone. Didn't get to post yesterday after I had an absolute whale of a day on the workfront but man it feels nice to have made the final two. I really hope the guys aren't letting it get to their heads though. Have to take this time to rest and refocus up for the big dance. With the Bolts having woken up and their series tied 2-2, I think that means that we might get a bit more rest no? Nevertheless, super pumped. Thinking of picking up a Makar jersey for the final.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Sweeping and having to sit a week will kill their mojo. Avs were in a groove.

Eastern conference takes the cup in 5 games or less.

I can see MacK and Makar literally forgetting how to skate by the time they're back on the ice.
I heard they both actually already forgot and have retired.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

Playing with Compher and NAK there is exactly zero chance that we can assess Newhook's offensive potential. Neither of those guys can see the ice well enough to set up Newhook with a pass when he's in a good shooting position, and even if they had an epiphany they don't have the requisite skill to make the pass. Newhook needs to play with better players to succeed offensively, the mistake I fear is we'll trade him based on his play with two offensive black holes (yeah, I see JTC scoring goals, that is different than offensive IQ in the attacking zone).

Yes, he's a rookie trying to hold his own in the playoffs, and he needs to be seen as just that. If he is part of a trade package for a proper 2C or such that's fine, but dumping him based on his rookie season is a waste of assets.

Reactions: Bender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad