GDT: R3G4: COL @ EDM: Sent Em' Packing! (COL Sweeps 4-0)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I mean I thought we crushed that narrative of rest vs rust last year against Vegas.
The way the Avs play and with the injures they have they need the most time off. They havent been terribly rusty after long layoffs this year. They looked fine in Game 1 against the Blues after 8 days off?

I'm a bit of a contrarian on this board regarding Newhook. I don't see what everyone else marvels about. He's young. He's inexperienced. He's small, He does not possess blazing speed and he's prone to mistakes. Maybe someday he might grow into a solid 2nd line center role but certainly not now. Folks here are always calling for him to be inserted in the line up and play with top line players. I don't see it..

I'll go further and really piss people off. JTC is way more valuable to the team right now than Newhook. Hell, Cogs and NAK are playing better than Newhook too....
I dont think Newhook will have success as a C on this team and the sooner he and the Avs agree with that the better. Matt Duchene should have always been a winger. Alex Newhook is in that mold on the lower end of Duchene.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
The way the Avs play and with the injures they have they need the most time off. They havent been terribly rusty after long layoffs this year. They looked fine in Game 1 against the Blues after 8 days off?

I dont think Newhook will have success as a C on this team and the sooner he and the Avs agree with that the better. Matt Duchene should have always been a winger. Alex Newhook is in that mold on the lower end of Duchene.

If the team realizes that Newhook should only be a winger going forward (which I agree with), they really need to think about trading him (in a package) next year for #2C if they can’t find anything in FA. A smallish offence only winger is pretty low on the list of priorities for a team with another couple years of high end contention.

Especially if other teams think he could still be a C and still has good trade value. Maybe a centre piece for JT Miller or Scheifle.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
That morning breakfast bagel tasted a little better this morning than usual. Sitting here in a Foppa jersey getting mean mugged by everyone in the office once again having conversations about the reffing lol.

I always thought Oiler fans knew hockey rules. I was wrong. They are stating that Lehkonens stick was well over the crossbar and the goal shouldnt have counted. Thats cute but that rule only applies if Lehkonen had tipped it clean in and not a rebound for a goal. So because Lehkonen tips it down and hits Smith for a rebound he just needs to have his stick at or below his shoulder. The irony in all this is had Smith NOT made a save on the deflection that goal doesnt count haha.
IF and that's a big IF, Lehkonen's stick blade where it made contact with the puck was over the height of the goal crossbar, a whistle for high stick should have been blown.

No replay I watched indicated that the contact point was HIGHER than the crossbar height. Multiple angles, multiple cameras. The most convincing one was the ice level camera close up from the far end of the ice. The contact point was at or just under the height of the crossbar.

And the referee at the immediate end of the ice was in perfect position to observe this.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm a bit of a contrarian on this board regarding Newhook. I don't see what everyone else marvels about. He's young. He's inexperienced. He's small, He does not possess blazing speed and he's prone to mistakes. Maybe someday he might grow into a solid 2nd line center role but certainly not now. Folks here are always calling for him to be inserted in the line up and play with top line players. I don't see it..

I'll go further and really piss people off. JTC is way more valuable to the team right now than Newhook. Hell, Cogs and NAK are playing better than Newhook too....

Uhhhhh nothing you're saying here is going to piss people off. All those guys are indeed playing much better than Newhook at present. Something hasn't been right with him for a good long while now. He was okay down the stretch in the regular season but couldn't buy a goal, and his confidence floundered to the point that he found himself in the press box once the postseason started. So far that confidence has not returned. He's got a fantastic release but he's not doing enough to get into position to use it.

And really, I haven't really read anyone on here pushing for him to be anywhere NEAR the top six, let alone in the lineup at all. Fortunately for him, it looks like Cogliano might be out for a while, so he'll remain in by default. I hope he starts figuring it out because last night simply wasn't good enough.

Also, Newhook is going to be a winger in the NHL if he's anything at all. He's simply not good enough at the things a center needs to do in order to be a center. It's quite telling that the Avs had a huge opening at center, and have had them earlier during the season, and opted instead to move Rantanen left rather than slot Newhook in there. They don't think he can be a center either.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
IF and that's a big IF, Lehkonen's stick blade where it made contact with the puck was over the height of the goal crossbar, a whistle for high stick should have been blown.

No replay I watched indicated that the contact point was HIGHER than the crossbar height. Multiple angles, multiple cameras. The most convincing one was the ice level camera close up from the far end of the ice. The contact point was at or just under the height of the crossbar.

And the referee at the immediate end of the ice was in perfect position to observe this.
Whether its over the crossbar is irrelevant since Smith made the save. Had it gone in off the deflection and the contact was above the crossbar its no goal. Thats why I said earlier that its ironic that the Oilers season comes to an end because Mike Smith made a save lol

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Man I love you guys. I haven’t been engaging here for specific reasons that prevent me from being able to say too much in here which can get me in trouble lol. But trust me I’ve been watching and reading along and am as invested as ever! We’ve all been around here for a long time waiting for this. Now let’s see them go win that mug.
I’m sure she looked 18.

Are we sure you’re not the real Randy Quaid?

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Man I love you guys. I haven’t been engaging here for specific reasons that prevent me from being able to say too much in here which can get me in trouble lol. But trust me I’ve been watching and reading along and am as invested as ever! We’ve all been around here for a long time waiting for this. Now let’s see them go win that mug.
We all know you're Stephen Walkom and that's why the refs literally score goals for the Avs. But good on you for pretending to be unbiased.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021

The high stick is based on shoulder level, not the goal bar. The goal bar is the measuring stick only if the deflection leads to a goal straight. That was not the case in here. What a clutch play by Lehkonen that was.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't mind being opinionated. Or picking the Oilers to win. What I find ridiculous is that a US national braodcast only talked about the Oilers all series. The commentary about the two teams was like 90/10 in favor of Edmonton. They had pre games and intermissions were they literally only talked about them. I watched 40 minutes of a pre game the other game and they didn't mention the Avs once. That's just a total lack of professionalism. They're supposed to be covering the game/series not just McDavid's team and what they need to do to win.
About the sportsnet broadcast last night, for those that watched it - 2 things stuck out to me :

1) In between the 1st and the 2nd period, kevin biesksa said smugly that the Avs were due for a collapse - Hrudey and Friedman kind of disagreed saying 'well maybe not a collapse'... Then in between the 2nd and the 3rd period, the camera pans to the segment and that douchebag was looking at the camera all smug like "see, I told ya" just because the Avs were down 3-1.

In your face, bieksa you f***ing jackass!!!

2) During that same intermission, Hrudey and Friedman were talking about Makar and really giving him a lot of props for about 2 minutes and then they stopped talking when ron maclean kind of interrupts and says "oh yeah but what about McDavid??" and then both guys are like "Oh yeah for sure McDavid, blah, blah blah"

It was both at the same time hilarious and pathetic. It looked like a frikkin' comedy bit. HOW DARE they talk about an Avs player and give him props for 2 minutes STRAIGHT without mentioning #97. Jesus Christ, it's almost as if ron maclean got a frikking angry earful from his producer WHILE they were doing it... laughable.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Been missing ya around here. There are quite a few folks around who've been here through all the bad days. I was talking about this with my girlfriend and other buddy (both who have become fans during the past 4 years) about how they never experienced how truly awful and disappointing most of the last decade+ being an Avs fan was. Last night was cathartic. Listening to EJ during the post game brought a tear to my eye. What a journey for this team. No matter the outcome in the Finals I'm very proud of this team and how far they've come.

Shout out to the real OGs around here! You know who you are.
I remember one of my very first posts on this site was saying how the Avs scoring depth was vastly improved with the signing of Hlinka. I wonder what my reaction would have been if an older, balder, fatter version of myself appeared via time travel to tell me that was a stupid opinion and the next decade of fandom would be near-unmitigated disaster.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It’s not their time. They are a luckier Avs 2021 playing Vegas
From the Avs' POV it sucks.

Tampa is currently playing without their 1C and they'll get him back whereas we probably won't get our 2C back. That alone is a huge thing.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Tampa is currently playing without their 1C and they'll get him back whereas we probably won't get our 2C back. That alone is a huge thing.

I agree. But if Avs win it would be more legendary and glorious

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Everyone is banged up though. Sergachev is playing hurt. Strome is not playing.

This series still isn't over and there are players on either side who are known to cheapshot others. Has that piece of shit trouba chicken-winged anyone yet? Seems like he's due his "oops I did it again" moment...

It almost seems like it's only a matter of time before cowee peywee accidentally falls on top of Shesherktin's head.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

When Duchene got drafted for the Avs starting his 1st full season he was scoring like 25 goals per season or so at least. Newhook better start to catch up to that soon and if not he ain't going to be in a lower end Duchene type of player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad