GDT: R2G6 - Avs @ Blues - Going to War - 6PM

Garavar

Nov 27, 2016
Who knew it takes a former Red Wing to get us to the third round for the first time in 20 years? :D
Huge game, huge win and I loved how late in the third period the TNT crew talked about how active Bednar was during tv timeouts. That and making adjustments between periods and games were the things he wasn't good enough at last year. He's good enough at them now and it shows.
He won all his road games where he doesn't get last change and lost two at home where he does. Maybe he isn't the right coach I mean he put out line 1 to defend 1 goal lead with under minute in Game 5

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
You rate manson and bo above makar and toews by a far margin? or did you mean in game 6 specifically?... Or the series? Or playoffs? Or just period? Your post makes it sound like you think manson and byram are levels above makar and toews. I have to say I disagree.
In a few years Byram will be our most valuable player for the Avs.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
My thoughts:

1. Huge win. Avs played a really good game on the road, doubling up the Blues in shots and eventually got their reward for being the far better team. It would have been a travesty to lose this game or series against this Blues team considering how much better the Avs are. Clearly the only way the Avs were ever going to hang on to win a round 2 elimination game was if they scored with just a few seconds left.... you just know that if Helm had scored with 1-2 minutes left the Blues would have tied it up again haha

View attachment 553115

2. Depth scoring. Compher finally decided to show up, nice timing. The 3rd line had a weak game overall I thought, with 35.71 CF%, but overall in the series they were good and so it's nice to see them get some offense going.

View attachment 553116

3. The 4th line were excellent all game, and series. They repeatedly had some very good shifts with extended OZ time at good times in the game. Really nice to see Helm get rewarded with a clutch goal as he's been great, especially the last two games.

4. Kuemper.... The first half of the game was absolutely brutal. Overplayed his position to the left on the Faulk goal, then overplayed the Kyrou 2-on-1.... and then looked like Miska with that ridiculous flopping around on the chance that Manson saved on the line. He also almost let that soft Toropchenko floater get by him but got bailed out by the post. He redeemed himself with some big saves in the 3rd period though, but that game was not a very encouraging game from him.

5. Rantanen.... needs to wake up and stop making weak plays on the puck.

6. Jack Johnson.... flashbacks to Nemeth and Graves, woof. He got benched right after that terrible mistake, and rightfully so.

View attachment 553114

7. Penalty kill came up huge in this game. Not sure if it's a result of the Blues not having Krug or Perunovich, or the Avs adjusting, but it does feel like the Avs PK'ers got to loose pucks and won battles a lot more the last couple of games.

8. Erik Johnson with 6 hits in the game. He had a really nice series overall.

9. Bowen Byram played great after Girard went down. He leads all Avs Dmen in Corsi in the playoffs, and has 6 assists in 10 games.

View attachment 553118

10. Avs have gotten PPG+ scoring from their best 5 players, along with solid production from their secondary scorers. Ideally Burakovsky and Aube-Kubel can get going a bit more though, and hopefully Compher can continue scoring into the next round.

View attachment 553119
You think we see JMFJ get stratched for Murray in game 1?

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
They were much better. Perron and Faulk made all the difference.
Yeah but like, they would have totally won if Kadri didn’t totally on purpose target Binnington and end his career. Only reason the Blues didn’t win was because of that, not be cause of getting dominated in every statistical category, but because of Kadri on purpose going for a loose puck.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I can't tell you how many times I've re-watched the Helm goal. Holy. What an emotional roller coaster. What a high.

Everything about last night makes the suffering over the last couple of seasons and the poor games these playoffs worth it.

Now let's go get another series W against the Oilers.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
The avs didn't do anything spectacular this game to move on to the WCF finally, but they didn't have to. They just had to keep it together and stay with it mentally, giving the opportunity for breaks to happen like the GWG scored by the most unlikely of players. They went down 1-0 2-1 despite outplaying them but still kept at it and didn't give away control. The avs just had to play even keel to win because they were the better team and that's what they did. Credit to Compher for the clutch goals which I'm not surprised by and Byram for stepping up which we all knew he would when given the opportunity. Only negative is can we stop playing JJ that's like just asking for it, at least Bednar did bench him after his big mistake which must've been a relief for the confidence of the team. Now on to the oilers, I think Mackinnon will be motivated to play against McDavid. I think this matchup should actually be easier for the avs, would not be surprised if it was 4-0 sweep.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
Poor wittle Dizee got his feelings hurt that he got laugh reactions to his posts, glad he has a long off-season to recover.
I noticed he was nowhere to be found last night. People who go around taunting others seem to do disappear on HF when the shoe's on the other foot.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I can't tell you how many times I've re-watched the Helm goal. Holy. What an emotional roller coaster. What a high.

Everything about last night makes the suffering over the last couple of seasons and the poor games these playoffs worth it.

Now let's go get another series W against the Oilers.
I was mentally prepping for OT, so I was more stunned than jubilant.
:laugh:
No sport produces unlikely heroes like hockey (Krupp game 4 ‘96 SCF, Footer game 6 ‘01 SCF, etc) , which is 1 of the many reasons I love it.

BigCKU

Aug 16, 2020
Rewatched the 3rd period and it was crazy how many penalties on the Blues the refs just flat ignored especially those final 10 minutes after the Avs tied it. Blues were just playing the man and doing everything to stop the Avs from scoring. So bad that several Blues fans in their game thread and on Twitter even made comments about the Blues getting the benefit of the doubt. Can’t believe the Avs pulled it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad