GDT: R2G6 - Avs @ Blues - Going to War - 6PM

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Break out the smelling salts to wake Rantanen the **** up for this next round, coz he's still lumbering around in a daze. Gonna need all hands on deck to deal with a confident, surging Oiler squad. And will the real Cale Makar & Devon Toews please stand up too? Kuemper? Not sure what to say about that guy other than...please be at least semi-competent, ok?

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
To be fair, it's one quote. If you listen to the whole presser RoR has a lots of great things to say about Husso, and credited the Avs with being too fast and difficult to handle.

Reactions: Nihiliste

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Break out the smelling salts to wake Rantanen the **** up for this next round, coz he's still lumbering around in a daze. Gonna need all hands on deck to deal with a confident, surging Oiler squad. And will the real Cale Makar & Devon Toews please stand up too? Kuemper? Not sure what to say about that guy other than...please be at least semi-competent, ok?
Rantanen has to be injured somehow, or still lingering effects of covid or whatever the f*** near the end of the season.

I have more faith in our stars performing than Edmonton finding depth scoring.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Rantanen has to be injured somehow, or still lingering effects of covid or whatever the f*** near the end of the season.

I have more faith in our stars performing than Edmonton finding depth scoring.
Then he needs to be bumped down in the lineup, coz he's nothing but a total passenger right now.

Glad the Avs finally got that 2nd round monkey off their back. I'm sure it's a huge relief for them, and I'm hoping that this loosens 'em up a bit mentally so they can start playing at the level they're capable of. Not complaining, just pointing out that the Avs did NOT look particularly sharp in this series. Yes, they had impressive stretches of domination, but those were always tempered by stretches of very poor play which kept an overmatched Blues team around for 6 games. If the Avs can dial it in this next series, and get their big guns clicking alongside the depth guys (who deserve a ton of credit), they can get on a roll here and make their move. As dynamic as McDavid & Draisaitl are, an Avs team hitting on all cylinders should dismantle them provided Kuemper doesn't have an epic meltdown. The stars are aligning nicely for this team, and the boys need to seize this opportunity by the throat.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Tampa and Edmonton both got it done on the road.

Avs have to win tonight because we all know they are not winning a game 7.

I guess it's a moot point now, but why so sure they would lose game 7? Sounds very random.

Yup 2 days later and I'm still just gutted by that sequence.

Honestly if they lose this series I'm taking an extended break from Avs hockey. Might take a new core to get me back and invested. I can't be bothered to watch this bunch of losers lose every year.

IMO you should reaaaaally take an extended break from Avs hockey. They won the series, but who cares? If going into Game 6 you were so heavily displeased with this team that it had to come down to Compher scoring 66% of the goals in the game, and Helm scoring the tie breaker with under 5 seconds left in the game, then that alone is not a good reason to go from an extended break all the way to continuing to watch. Extended break or actively watching is one extreme to the other... I don't think one game where Compher and Helm are the goalscorers and they net the winner in the dying seconds is convincing enough, surely? If you were that close. You have already been pushed very far. If anything, them needing Compher and Helm to put up their goals should make you even more inclined to take a break. And good luck with how long it will probably take to successfully re-build a new core that is clearly superior to this one by a big margin - enough that they are worth actively watching (if this one is not, or is on the precipice of being unwatchable).

They won 3-2 with 5 seconds left.

Cool. I asked for it, for thanking for not spoiling, of course a spoiler reply is likely. I saw this, I wasn't sure if you were messing with me or not, though. Particularly when it reached 2-2 in the third, I just kept it in my mind the whole game that it could end up 3-2 with a late goal for the Avs, but def might not be the case. Or totally the opposite and the Blues win 3-2 with 5 seconds left, or something.

Big W as I expected

One of the few, it seems!!

So, I am guessing that lots of folks here think the Avs have basically less than zero chance to win the cup? I didn't get the impression here that the blues are the cup favourites. And I could see if people here think the Blues are better than Edmonton, in which case some might vote for Edmonton, despite it seeming like a minimum of half of people here expected the Blues to beat Colorado (not before the series, but it changed pretty dramatically a few times, and I really, really, can't see Compher and Helm goals causing a dramatic sentiment shift to thinking the Avs are now a lot better than they were a day ago, if anything it should further cement that they are losers, etc.). But if not predicting a loss to the Oilers, I expect a loss by a landslide in the polls going into the finals, assuming the Avs make it. If the belief in them is this poor to be able to win a game versus the blues, much less a series, than surely it is far worse for winning a cup.

I sure hope the Avs go all the way. There are lots of good and great teams in this league, and a lot of luck involved in this game, too. Over 30 teams with the same goal, and only one can walk away with the cup, regardless of how good or bad everyone else performs. Will likely be a really tough road, but I think they are capable of it.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
manson and Bo by far our best defense men

You rate manson and bo above makar and toews by a far margin? or did you mean in game 6 specifically?... Or the series? Or playoffs? Or just period? Your post makes it sound like you think manson and byram are levels above makar and toews. I have to say I disagree.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Fishing? Fishing??? Very disappointed in you King.

disappointed-face-palm.gif
lol it was actually a great time. Overall great night. Just watched the game and the Avs were dominant most of the game. Alot of weird little shit in their game from alot of guys. Mikko was mainly a trainwreck. Cale should have had 3-4 assists tonight if his teammates could finish. I thought Manson was a beast.

Kuemper needs to figure his shit out. The Avs gave up almost nothing yet it felt like Kuemper was about to give up a softie. Nobody gives up his net like Kuemper. Nobody. Not his fault on the second goal but again not much of an effort to get over. Wide open net also f*** JJ on that one. Thats the reason I never wanted to see him play in the playoffs. Mcdrai cant wait to get back to edmonton to get that match up.

Loved Bo and EJ and what can you say about SOB lol Out of nowhere just scores 2 huge goals and then Darren Helm? Darren Helm lol Seriously Darren Helm scores the biggest goal of the series. Darren Helm? Unreal. A bunch of misfits set that one up. EJ rushes the puck like hes 2013 EJ, gives it to LOC who throws it to nobody and Helm just shoots it. Hockey is hilarious.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
They were better in round two.

Gotcha. Are you factoring in/comparing assignments/minutes into that consideration, too?

I was pleased with all 4, myself. There have been some concerns for me with Manson, particularly in his first few games as an Av, but I am all around happy. And happy as a whole with our trade deadline. Byram I have been very pleased with. Quite impressed with his poise for a 20 year old.

It's kinda funny how in this game at least, or the series even, how often the specific things most people thought the blues were better than the avs in regard to (for example bottom-6 forwards, or third line) were being heralded as strong points for the avs in the series specifically.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm sure Husso loves how the captain throws him under the buss there.
Im really not sure what Binnington would have done to help when you consider the Avs were dominant for 5/6 games. Also, Husso saved their season did he not? When Binnington shit himself during the season it was Husso's play that got them to where they were. Thats a terrible thing for ROR to be saying. I love ROR the hockey player but his character is.. I dont know. He seems like kind of a f***in prick.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Gotcha. Are you factoring in/comparing assignments/minutes into that consideration, too?

I was pleased with all 4, myself. There have been some concerns for me with Manson, particularly in his first few games as an Av, but I am all around happy. And happy as a whole with our trade deadline. Byram I have been very pleased with. Quite impressed with his poise for a 20 year old.

It's kinda funny how in this game at least, or the series even, how often the specific things most people thought the blues were better than the avs in regard to (for example bottom-6 forwards, or third line) were being heralded as strong points for the avs in the series specifically.
My problem with the top pairing doesn't come from their performance, necessarily. They've been put in an incredibly tough position to play the minutes they have and still come up big. But after the injury to G, both Bo and Manson have stepped up tremendously. Bo is putting up outstanding metrics and Manson literally saved the game tonight. You have to give them their due praise.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad