GDT: R2G6 - Avs @ Blues - Going to War - 6PM

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Diehard Blues fan coming in peace to say the Avs were the better team on the ice tonight, great game and great series guys. I'm really happy for Mackinnon to finally break through and get a chance to play in round 3, Avs-Oilers should be an epic fun series.

Congrats again enjoy the rest of the ride guys.:yo:

Best Megadeth album and my 2nd favorite all time album in your avatar, respect.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Who knew it takes a former Red Wing to get us to the third round for the first time in 20 years? :D
Huge game, huge win and I loved how late in the third period the TNT crew talked about how active Bednar was during tv timeouts. That and making adjustments between periods and games were the things he wasn't good enough at last year. He's good enough at them now and it shows.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
My thoughts:

1. Huge win. Avs played a really good game on the road, doubling up the Blues in shots and eventually got their reward for being the far better team. It would have been a travesty to lose this game or series against this Blues team considering how much better the Avs are. Clearly the only way the Avs were ever going to hang on to win a round 2 elimination game was if they scored with just a few seconds left.... you just know that if Helm had scored with 1-2 minutes left the Blues would have tied it up again haha

1653725835101.png

2. Depth scoring. Compher finally decided to show up, nice timing. The 3rd line had a weak game overall I thought, with 35.71 CF%, but overall in the series they were good and so it's nice to see them get some offense going.

1653725886756.png

3. The 4th line were excellent all game, and series. They repeatedly had some very good shifts with extended OZ time at good times in the game. Really nice to see Helm get rewarded with a clutch goal as he's been great, especially the last two games.

4. Kuemper.... The first half of the game was absolutely brutal. Overplayed his position to the left on the Faulk goal, then overplayed the Kyrou 2-on-1.... and then looked like Miska with that ridiculous flopping around on the chance that Manson saved on the line. He also almost let that soft Toropchenko floater get by him but got bailed out by the post. He redeemed himself with some big saves in the 3rd period though, but that game was not a very encouraging game from him.

5. Rantanen.... needs to wake up and stop making weak plays on the puck.

6. Jack Johnson.... flashbacks to Nemeth and Graves, woof. He got benched right after that terrible mistake, and rightfully so.

1653725783014.png

7. Penalty kill came up huge in this game. Not sure if it's a result of the Blues not having Krug or Perunovich, or the Avs adjusting, but it does feel like the Avs PK'ers got to loose pucks and won battles a lot more the last couple of games.

8. Erik Johnson with 6 hits in the game. He had a really nice series overall.

9. Bowen Byram played great after Girard went down. He leads all Avs Dmen in Corsi in the playoffs, and has 6 assists in 10 games.

1653726523848.png

10. Avs have gotten PPG+ scoring from their best 5 players, along with solid production from their secondary scorers. Ideally Burakovsky and Aube-Kubel can get going a bit more though, and hopefully Compher can continue scoring into the next round.

1653726770449.png

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Just wait until round 3 starts, the worst is yet to come

Eh. Oilers fans are annoying but the outright racism and racist apologetics in St Louis were disgusting.

Even this last game there were people with "stand with Binner" signs on the glass, mocking the "stand with Kadri" signs that were up in Colorado as a way to show him support through the racist attacks.

A lot of their fans showed their true colours in this series. So unless Edmonton finds a way to top that, I have a hard time believing I'll dislike them more than the Blues fans.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
We forgave them for San Jose. They werent ready. We made excuses for them against Dallas and some were very legit. We gave them a pass against Vegas because the NHL format and missing their 2C. This series? If they blow this series there is no room for forgiveness after blowing a 3 goal lead in a clincher. No more excuses. Its WCF at minimum or massive changes.
So, give a long leash to start out. Make excuses later, and benefit of the doubt because some are legitimate excuses. Use more excuses again the next time. Then, as the team has continued to get better and better, both in how it is constructed, and in on-ice product, give up all hope and blow it up after being patient and progressively building up towards something? Wait until they were close and the best iteration of the team yet, after excusing them when they were not as good of a team, and being patient, and not wanting to blow it up. So basically, do the opposite of what a ton of NHL teams have done when it comes to winning a cup with their core, for whom it took a lot of years and patience before they broke through. Instead, get maybe like 75% of the way there, being patient and forgiving along the way, and then break it all up to build a most likely worse team in it's place and hope for better results. I dunno. I don't think this team is that awful that it needs massive changes. Or, maybe they don't need massive changes since Helm scored with 5 seconds left. But if Schenn scored with 5 seconds left, then they do need massive changes or something. Not sure how that part works, where 1 shift can drastically determine if a franchise is good or not and whether it should make radical changes or not. Maybe that is the key to success, though.

Maybe they should move MacKinnon and Toews for starters, perhaps they will get a return that is superior to those 2, and for better term/contracts. I dunno. Maybe we can get Matthews and Marner for a good trade that favours us, since the Leafs should blow their team up as well. They shouldn't have before now, but they should now, at this moment, now is the time to dismantle these teams and try to make better ones out of the destruction. They were worth rallying behind on the way up, and then once they reach a certain amount of progress, you know it's time to start from scratch, and probably worse off to begin with.

Eh. Oilers fans are annoying but the outright racism and racist apologetics in St Louis were disgusting.

Even this last game there were people with "stand with Binner" signs on the glass, mocking the "stand with Kadri" signs that were up in Colorado as a way to show him support through the racist attacks.

A lot of their fans showed their true colours in this series. So unless Edmonton finds a way to top that, I have a hard time believing I'll dislike them more than the Blues fans.

Nice... So basically a parallel to "All Lives Matter" when being stated as a retaliation/protest to someone protesting with "Black Lives Matter". Classy.

Reactions: Turbonium

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I cheated and looked up the score with about 12 minutes to go when we were still 2-1 down. I had multiple anxiety dreams about this game (my favourite was when we were playing Minnesota, outside on some sort of farm-themed crazy golf course and all the players were in shorts and tshirts) and couldn't really face watching the end of it after seeing Kuemper lay an egg again and the top six just unable to score.

At least Mike Smith is terrible, right?????

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Why? Got a very nice apple tonight, spent some time on the PP I believe, and had some amazing zone entries?

3 points, plus 2 in 7 playoff games. I know were are spoiled for talent and quality but that's pretty harsh.
Coming off a 61 point season (also a UFA I believe), plus 12.
He is a better Kerfoot. Use him in a trade for more valuable playoff piece.

I cheated and looked up the score with about 12 minutes to go when we were still 2-1 down. I had multiple anxiety dreams about this game (my favourite was when we were playing Minnesota, outside on some sort of farm-themed crazy golf course and all the players were in shorts and tshirts) and couldn't really face watching the end of it after seeing Kuemper lay an egg again and the top six just unable to score.

At least Mike Smith is terrible, right?????
Smiths playoff stats look pretty good actually

Reactions: Alienblood

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Gotcha. Are you factoring in/comparing assignments/minutes into that consideration, too?

I was pleased with all 4, myself. There have been some concerns for me with Manson, particularly in his first few games as an Av, but I am all around happy. And happy as a whole with our trade deadline. Byram I have been very pleased with. Quite impressed with his poise for a 20 year old.

It's kinda funny how in this game at least, or the series even, how often the specific things most people thought the blues were better than the avs in regard to (for example bottom-6 forwards, or third line) were being heralded as strong points for the avs in the series specifically.
only the media thought that to drum up interset in the series.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
My problem with the top pairing doesn't come from their performance, necessarily. They've been put in an incredibly tough position to play the minutes they have and still come up big. But after the injury to G, both Bo and Manson have stepped up tremendously. Bo is putting up outstanding metrics and Manson literally saved the game tonight. You have to give them their due praise.

And they werent on the ice for that epic collapse during the final 60 secs of game 5.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
He is a better Kerfoot. Use him in a trade for more valuable playoff piece.

Smiths playoff stats look pretty good actually
His LA ones look good because LA is the worst shooting team in the entire league. I'd look good too if my opponent flat out sucked at shooting. The Calgary series really hurt his numbers and is a lot closer to the real Mike Smith.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Kuemper's stat line doesn't look so great, but that 0.904 sv% so far might be a blessing in disguise as it could work in the Avs favour this offseason by keeping his next AAV down... assuming of course that he can still get the job done in the next couple of rounds to be worth bringing back at all.

1653748277071.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad