Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
My personal thoughts of Francouz...

1st goal: His fault, he overplayed the puck and was scared of the Stars player hitting it off of him. He over slide, the Star player noticed, and went behind the net for the one-timer which he was very late in getting across.

2nd goal: Not his fault, Gurianov is a good scorer and we should give him credit for sniping it through a limited angle because Francouz was covering majority of the net. Bad penalty to take to lead up to the goal.

3rd goal: Partially his fault, partially Nukes fault. This is a 50/50 for me because the play that lead up to the goal is absolutely pathetic for Nichushkin and then he decides to screen Francouz. However, this shot isn't a post and in perfection either, on the goal Pavel doesn't stand up tall. He actually shrinks and bends his back over which for a shorter goaler is already playing with fire. For a such an important momentum draining play/goal he HAS to save that, no questions asked.

4th goal: I think a lot of us went a bit too hard after him on this one, if it was a pure clean shot then I would understand the criticism. Though, based upon the replay it's obvious that it goes through Benn's leg and changes direction for the worst. I think that Francouz played a bit too deep there, but not a lot of goalers were going to stop that deflection.

Yeah, 1st goal he certainly over played. But there's a level of responsibility on the defense here that Seguin should not be alone in the slot for such a quality chance. But if Frankie doesn't overplay the original shot he would have been in a much better position to make that save and probably would have as Seguin didn't get great wood on it.

The 2nd one is like... Yes respect to the shooter, but it also wasn't that great of a shot, and it ultimately went between Frankie's arm and side, sort of in that "6th hole" which IMO is always a goal the goalie should be able to get.

The last two are like ya... Probably could have had the 3rd one, 4th one is just an unfortunate bounce and nothing you can really do on that one, its gonna beat most goalies in the league.

I think Bednar put it perfectly honestly. He was ok, but he has shown that he is capable of being much better.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
Yeah, 1st goal he certainly over played. But there's a level of responsibility on the defense here that Seguin should not be alone in the slot for such a quality chance. But if Frankie doesn't overplay the original shot he would have been in a much better position to make that save and probably would have as Seguin didn't get great wood on it.

The 2nd one is like... Yes respect to the shooter, but it also wasn't that great of a shot, and it ultimately went between Frankie's arm and side, sort of in that "6th hole" which IMO is always a goal the goalie should be able to get.

The last two are like ya... Probably could have had the 3rd one, 4th one is just an unfortunate bounce and nothing you can really do on that one, its gonna beat most goalies in the league.

I think Bednar put it perfectly honestly. He was ok, but he has shown that he is capable of being much better.

That first goal i saw Cole dump out and lose the front of the net and dive back... I think coles on the hook for that one

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I've noticed the Avs have pretty much said "**** it" most of the time whenever Stars defensemen like Lindell/Fedun/Oleksiak/Sekera have the puck unless you're Namestnikov hitting dudes after the buzzer. But what they have done is pretty much every single time Klingberg or Heiskanen have the puck, ESPECIALLY Klingberg, they're going hard at them. Even if it's 1-2 seconds late, they don't care.

The game plan has to be to take those two guys out. Make the game as uncomfortable as humanly possible for them, and it worked in game 3. Klingberg was frustrated all night. Kadri was wrecking him, Landeskog was going at him every chance he could, and it pissed him off but not the good kind of way. It took him away from the game he wants to play.

More of that, please.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Show yourself the **** out

shark jumps2_1470753367080_10141974_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Reactions: dahrougem2

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I have the ALL Hail Cale, Three Headed Monster, and Philip Lindsey Broncos Homegrown one. They are the good material, not 100% cotton (I cant stand those either).
It's 9296. Three headed monster is as hobby as the BSN podcast.
Edit: Sorry, but I really hate the THM idea. It's dumb and not accurate.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I promise I'm not dragging the three-ton-elephant into the room here, but I will just say that I did not watch last night's game and I really wish it hadn't been played. That's all I'm going to say on that.

Moving on, based on the highlights I saw today, Avs played reasonably well, fell asleep to start the third, blew another lead because of defensive miscues and bad goaltending, but this time refused to fold and won the game. Also...RIGHT ON BIG Z!!! If this ends up being his final game in an Avs uniform, he finished strong.

Glad to see some others stepping it up when they needed to. Also heard Logan O'Connor did really well. The team needs guys like that going forward.

Reactions: rmthomson21

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Man, this team has really got to learn to stop letting the opponent into a game that's under complete control. Giving up a 3-1 lead in the 3rd by taking TWO really dump penalties is a great way to lose. They clearly didn't learn their lesson from the game 2 loss where they took two penalties to give away a 2-0 lead. Gotta be more disciplined than that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Man, this team has really got to learn to stop letting the opponent into a game that's under complete control. Giving up a 3-1 lead in the 3rd by taking TWO really dump penalties is a great way to lose. They clearly didn't learn their lesson from the game 2 loss where they took two penalties to give away a 2-0 lead. Gotta be more disciplined than that.

Hey we need a defensive analysis on Bonino in the trade thread lol.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

The Landeskog penalty was Benn turning into Greg Louganis...again

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
On Frankie, he hasn’t been great and would probably like 2-3 goals back in this series but he’s made key saves to keep us in it.

One thing I noticed is that as soon as Makar went over to give him a little pep talk Frankie started looking like his regular season form. Hopefully that continues into the next game.

Reactions: drhiii and Avs

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The Landeskog penalty was Benn turning into Greg Louganis...again
Yeah I get why Landeskog sucker-punched Benn, but taking a penalty like that when Dallas are building momentum in the 3rd is just unnecessary. I'm sure Landeskog could find plenty of other better opportunities to get back at Benn.

Reactions: Avs and Avs_19

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Just noticed this play where Landy might have saved us from losing another defenseman.

Lindell charging up ice and loses the puck which goes to Graves who's laying face down trying to get up. Lindell might have tried to play this puck and could have accidentally kneed Graves in the head, but Landy sees it and intentionally angles him away.

You can see Graves put his hand up to shield his face. Life probably flashed before his eyes. :laugh:

giphy.gif

What are you talking about? That's just how he defends.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah I get why Landeskog sucker-punched Benn, but taking a penalty like that when Dallas are building momentum in the 3rd is just unnecessary. I'm sure Landeskog could find plenty of other better opportunities to get back at Benn.

Louganis was an olympic diver. It seemed like Benn dove to barely a touch, like he didn't like the smell of Landy's hand.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Louganis was an olympic diver. It seemed like Benn dove to barely a touch, like he didn't like the smell of Landy's hand.
The way Benn was moving his jaw around on the bench it looked more like Landeskog got him pretty good. That doesn't excuse the embellishments the rest of the game though.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Benn takes the hard, over the edge style of the DPE playoffs and combines it with the worst of the modern NHL - embellishing in embarrassing ways and lack of respect for his opponents. Not a good look for the guy tbh. Eventually in a career that kind of play always catches up to you

Anyways I don’t think you put Timmins into this series as his first NHL exposure unless you want to see his concussion problems return

Oh yeah like david backes bad

I thought the Avs were toast after the fourth Dallas goal, but I was completely wrong and momentum may have shifted in the series.

As far as unsung heroes go, I thought Burakovsky and Nichushkin both had huge games, and also Girard and Cole who I felt like played the entire third period.

Francouz was uneven. He was a rock for most of the game, and had no chance on the fourth goal (Benn deflection). But I thought he was slow getting over on the second goal (Gurianov), and that's the one which opened the flood gates. Hopefully winning this game will shake off some of the jitters.

I wished in the past and still wish the Avs wouldn't have gotten rid of Blake Comeau. A lot of people on this board hated him but he was also solid for the Avs, and IMO has been one of the Stars best forwards in this series.

We tied it up because he couldn't handle a pass from Heiskanen and the puck got turned over. Don't worry, he's still got a few bad penalties in him that will cost the stars dearly. I have no regrets getting rid of that goof.

Everyone was good aside from Girard, Francouz, Cole and Graves.

Compher sucked balls early but he was phenomenal in the 3rd. Probably as good as I’ve ever seen him on the PK too.

Girard really disappointment me and has for the entire series. I love him. He’s so talented. So well positioned defensively and a good stick but his size is really showing. Unfortunately this is the third year in a row where he’s showing his body is really struggling to play against men in playoff hockey. Having EJ handle that physical load really shelters that flaw of Girard and he’s being exposed right now. There were times when he tried to defend Jamie Benn last night and it looked like a dad playing hockey with his 7 year old daughter.

What are you talking about? He threw down that 210lbs f***er like he was a sack o' potatoes!!! :sarcasm:

Reactions: CobraAcesS

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
As a goalie, I will never blame a goalie for a deflected shot goal.
Yes, there are aituations occasionally where it was possible to stop it, but a majority of the time, you’re either somewhat lucky if it hits you, or it’s going in.

there simply is no time to prep for it. You’ve committed to a “different” save and therefore, likely a different type of movement than you would’ve normally done if you knew where the shot was going.
That, and you have no read. Most of a goalies instinctive save is based on being able to read the shot right off the stick.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can we learn how to neutral zone trap once in a while?

They're not built for that, and their NZ defense is, for the most part, quite good. They generate a lot of offense off their transition game, unfortunately Dallas is one of the few teams that can successfully negate it.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
They're not built for that, and their NZ defense is, for the most part, quite good. They generate a lot of offense off their transition game, unfortunately Dallas is one of the few teams that can successfully negate it.

I mean when we have the third period lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad