• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think the secret to liking Bura is to really limit your expectations from him. As long as he gets in at least one really good shot a game I'm pretty much happy with him.

His timely goals in round 1 made me leave him alone, but that only goes so far. I was joking, but like at a 70/30 joke to serious ratio.

Reactions: MarkT

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
When Burakovsky finds open ice and uses his elite shot as much as possible, he's a fantastic player. When he wanders around and makes bad decisions with the puck, he's a liability.

Bura needs to spend all off season with Perron, like a dog on a leash. Whatever that dude learned Bura needs to learn it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bura needs to spend all off season with Perron, like a dog on a leash. Whatever that dude learned Bura needs to learn it.

Ya know what Perron learned? That Jonathan Marchessault had a much better stick than he did. He tried it out when he was in Vegas, and his shooting went from okay to elite. That's about the only thing that significantly changed. Perron is still a very talented, but problematic player, but he contributes a hell of a whole lot more offensively thanks to one simple equipment alteration. Also helps that Ryan O'Reilly is there to do all the hard work, so he can focus on other areas of his game, like cross checking guys without the puck.

Burakovsky's almost the exact opposite. The shooting and skating are fantastic, it's the hockey IQ and occasionally, the drive that seem to disappear at times. He'd be a superstar if he could bring it consistently, but unfortunately I don't think he can. Negotiations with him should be interesting.

Reactions: Avsboy and MarkT

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Ya know what Perron learned? That Jonathan Marchessault had a much better stick than he did. He tried it out when he was in Vegas, and his shooting went from okay to elite. That's about the only thing that significantly changed. Perron is still a very talented, but problematic player, but he contributes a hell of a whole lot more offensively thanks to one simple equipment alteration. Also helps that Ryan O'Reilly is there to do all the hard work, so he can focus on other areas of his game, like cross checking guys without the puck.

Burakovsky's almost the exact opposite. The shooting and skating are fantastic, it's the hockey IQ and occasionally, the drive that seem to disappear at times. He'd be a superstar if he could bring it consistently, but unfortunately I don't think he can. Negotiations with him should be interesting.
To be fair Perron has always been somewhat productive, he’s also stayed healthy recently which is important for productivity.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

That's a very underrated part of Perron's game. I wish Burakovsky could learn to cross-check guys like that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
To be fair Perron has always been somewhat productive, he’s also stayed healthy recently which is important for productivity.

You're right, he was "somewhat" productive. Not really productive...he was never a line driver in the earlier phases of his career. That's why I said his shooting was "okay." Not bad by any means, but now he's now elite or near-elite in that category on top of being an effective power-forward type. He never used to be able to pick corners like he does now.

That's a very underrated part of Perron's game. I wish Burakovsky could learn to cross-check guys like that.

I wish refs would just call that bullshit. It's stupid.

Reactions: MarkT

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You're right, he was "somewhat" productive. Not really productive...he was never a line driver in the earlier phases of his career. That's why I said his shooting was "okay." Not bad by any means, but now he's now elite or near-elite in that category on top of being an effective power-forward type. He never used to be able to pick corners like he does now.
Yeah I looked up his career numbers a little bit ago and was surprised he was a consistently putting up 40-60 point paces but was always hurt. He’s also been around forever it seems like.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I looked up his career numbers a little bit ago and was surprised he was a consistently putting up 40-60 point paces but was always hurt. He’s also been around forever it seems like.

Three separate stints with the team that drafted him, and he's having his best years with them in his thirties. That is a super-bizarre career arc.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
2nd with Sam Girard, which can sometimes be the first depending on how Bednar chooses to deploy them and the Graves-Makar pairing.
Thanks. I see that Johnson plays (TOI/G) is about 21 minutes. Any ideas how much TOI/G the Avs 1st pairing plays?

When he plays with Girard, is Johnson the more defensive stay-at-home guy while Girard is the puck mover?

Thanks again.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Just because he finally showed up to play in the playoffs doesn't mean he wasn't absolute trash all year long.

I'd wager to guess he's going to be much closer to bottom pairing moving forward then the Dman we had seen through the playoffs so far. His spot in the Top 4 will need to be replaced very soon. No question about it.
Absolute trash is clearly a hyperbole here.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Thanks. I see that Johnson plays (TOI/G) is about 21 minutes. Any ideas how much TOI/G the Avs 1st pairing plays?

When he plays with Girard, is Johnson the more defensive stay-at-home guy while Girard is the puck mover?

Thanks again.

I think on a normal night they log only slightly less, which leaves the top-four pretty interchangeable. I picked, at random, an Avs victory against the Blue Jackets that wasn't a blowout to see if I could get "typical" results, this seems about right.

Columbus Blue Jackets @ Colorado Avalanche, 2019-11-09

Girard puts in around 18 minutes, EJ roughly 15, Makar 13, and so on. Bednar is also not afraid to pair Makar and Girard with one another for offensive zone faceoffs if he sees a scoring opportunity or the team is playing from behind, so TOI can vary. I'm also not factoring in special teams, which all top four defenders factor into in some form or another.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
He is what he is. A pretty good middle 6 player. If he was great at carrying the puck and made good decisions all the time he'd still be on the Caps.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think on a normal night they log only slightly less, which leaves the top-four pretty interchangeable. I picked, at random, an Avs victory against the Blue Jackets that wasn't a blowout to see if I could get "typical" results, this seems about right.

Girard puts in around 18 minutes, EJ roughly 15, Makar 13, and so on. Bednar is also not afraid to pair Makar and Girard with one another for offensive zone faceoffs if he sees a scoring opportunity or the team is playing from behind, so TOI can vary. I'm also not factoring in special teams, which all top four defenders factor into in some form or another.
Thanks. I guess I was just wondering if the 1st pair logs a lot more minutes than the 2nd pair i.e., there is a big difference in skill level & the coach's confidence.

Based on your answer, it looks like the answer is there isn't a big difference in TOI between the 1st & 2nd pair. You make a good point about special teams. Does EJ play PP or PK, or both?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Thanks. I guess I was just wondering if the 1st pair logs a lot more minutes than the 2nd pair i.e., there is a big difference in skill level & the coach's confidence.

Based on your answer, it looks like the answer is there isn't a big difference in TOI between the 1st & 2nd pair. You make a good point about special teams. Does EJ play PP or PK, or both?

PK, he's not on either power play unit (Makar is on the first unit, Girard the second). But he logs plenty of time on the penalty kill.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
When Burakovsky finds open ice and uses his elite shot as much as possible, he's a fantastic player. When he wanders around and makes bad decisions with the puck, he's a liability.
He pisses you off but he scores goals.

You can't have a lot of those guys, but one or maybe two is okay. If the price is decent I have no issue keeping him around a while

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Where are you getting your TOI totals from?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I wish refs would just call that bullshit. It's stupid.

It is insane how far that penalty has fallen off the map. I've been watching hockey a long time and to me, I see it's "evolution" like this :

Cross-Checking
1980s - you cross-check someone, you go to the box for 2 minutes
1990s - you can't cross-check, unless it's in front of the net to 'clear guys out'
2000s - you can't cross-check, unless it's in front of the net to 'clear guys out' and it's not a penalty unless you break your stick
2010s - you can cross-check but if you're taking away a scoring chance, then it's a penalty
Today - you can cross-check and you might get a penalty or not, it's kind of up to us - "NHL Referees"

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He is what he is. A pretty good middle 6 player. If he was great at carrying the puck and made good decisions all the time he'd still be on the Caps.
He is fantastic at carrying the puck, and he's great at zone entries, too.

The Capitals simply saw the writing on the wall: too many top-six caliber forwards and Burakovsky is never going to be useful in a bottom-six role. He wasn't going to replace Ovechkin, Oshie, Wilson, or Vrana, so they moved him for assets. Props to them, and props to Sakic for identifying a player that can fit our team beautifully and getting him.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Burakovsky is indeed great at carrying the puck--his underlying stats wouldn't be as phenomenal as they are if he wasn't. His shooting is fantastic as well. Where he kinda falls short at times is after the team enters the zone. He's not good at cycling the puck, battling for it along the boards, and he's not good at settling down hard passes, which often slows down his release. He's also prone to the occasional WTF dude giveaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad