GDT: R2G3: Panic Buttons vs. Dallas Stars - 8/26/20, 8:30pm MDT

Whose fault is it really?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yep, depth is not capable to replace him properly, but it kinda says that he is important to the current Avs team.
Dallas series is showing how we are missing EJ in his defenside D role. He's one of the go-to PK and defensive situations D after all.

As PAZ mentioned, it is his salary cap which makes people uneasy, but he cannot be replaced via current depth right away and perhaps not even after a year.

Yes, Johnson is one of Bednar’s go-to defensive players, but he’s also not that great defensively.

For me it’s less about what Johnson does and more the fact that Graves has to play too much and Connauton has to play at all.

In general it’s a lot harder to replace injured defenceman then injured forwards simply because of the minutes they play. Even when Johnson was playing 17-18 minutes most recently on the 3rd pair with Zadorov that’s as much TOI as Kadri usually gets.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They kept Makar's ice time to around 21:30 and he had his best game of the series. I think that's key, he's not ready to play close to 30 minutes yet.

I think Henchy's right--he will NEVER be that type of player. He's not Ryan Suter. His game depends on his speed and skating ability and he loses that when he plays too much. The key is to add a couple more weapons to the defensive lineup and try and roll the pairings the best they can.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think Henchy's right--he will NEVER be that type of player. He's not Ryan Suter. His game depends on his speed and skating ability and he loses that when he plays too much. The key is to add a couple more weapons to the defensive lineup and try and roll the pairings the best they can.

I think he’ll probably be around 24:30 a night during the regular season in his prime, which would put him around top-12 in TOI among defenceman.

I haven’t seen any noticeable fatigue issues from Makar, aside from that one Coyotes game. He’s averaging close to 23:00 minutes a night as a rookie in the playoffs, so it should be assumed that will increase a little bit over time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think he’ll probably be around 24:30 a night during the regular season in his prime, which would put him around top-12 in TOI among defenceman.

I haven’t seen any noticeable fatigue issues from Makar, aside from that one Coyotes game. He’s averaging close to 23:00 minutes a night as a rookie in the playoffs, so it should be assumed that will increase a little bit over time.

He's been gassed on many occasions during these playoffs. His game is so dependent on his extreme bursts and athleticism that are always the first things to suffer when fatigued. It isn't meant as a knock on him, it just means he has to be managed differently than effortless skaters like Suter.

I wouldn't build around him as more than a 22 minute guy. Which the Avs can easily do... they have a 21+ minute guy in Girard, and I think Byram will be a 20+ minute guy as well.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
He is fantastic at carrying the puck, and he's great at zone entries, too.

The Capitals simply saw the writing on the wall: too many top-six caliber forwards and Burakovsky is never going to be useful in a bottom-six role. He wasn't going to replace Ovechkin, Oshie, Wilson, or Vrana, so they moved him for assets. Props to them, and props to Sakic for identifying a player that can fit our team beautifully and getting him.

Sorry, meant carrying the puck to anything useful offensively. He does skate the puck out pretty well but nothing typically comes from it in the offensive zone.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He's been gassed on many occasions during these playoffs. His game is so dependent on his extreme bursts and athleticism that are always the first things to suffer when fatigued. It isn't meant as a knock on him, it just means he has to be managed differently than effortless skaters like Suter.

I wouldn't build around him as more than a 22 minute guy. Which the Avs can easily do... they have a 21+ minute guy in Girard, and I think Byram will be a 20+ minute guy as well.

I guess I just haven’t noticed that as much.

That would be capping him at less ice then he’s getting in the playoffs as a rookie after not playing hockey for 4 and half months. Seems unlikely to me.

I think he’ll probably be up to around 22 next year, then a steady progression to around 24 after that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

That would be capping him at less ice then he’s getting in the playoffs as a rookie after not playing hockey for 4 and half months. Seems unlikely to me.

I think he’ll probably be up to around 22 next year, then a steady progression to around 24 after that.

Makar has played more than 22 minutes in 4 out of 11 games so far. Aug 8th a round robin game that went into OT. Aug 15th when the Avs were losing and trying to come back. Aug 22nd where EJ went down and chasing the game the whole time. Aug 24th where he played almost 10 minutes on the PP and over half the remaining game as the Avs fell behind in the second. Pre EJ injury he was 21:42.

It isn't Makar's fault or a knock on him, just what makes him great is a dynamic that is damn near impossible to keep up when fatigued.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Makar has played more than 22 minutes in 4 out of 11 games so far. Aug 8th a round robin game that went into OT. Aug 15th when the Avs were losing and trying to come back. Aug 22nd where EJ went down and chasing the game the whole time. Aug 24th where he played almost 10 minutes on the PP and over half the remaining game as the Avs fell behind in the second. Pre EJ injury he was 21:42.

It isn't Makar's fault or a knock on him, just what makes him great is a dynamic that is damn near impossible to keep up when fatigued.

I just think it’s really unlikely for a defenceman to come into the league averaging 21-22 minutes a game and then just stay that way the rest of his career.

He will build up his body, improve his overall skills, and gain more trust from the coaching staff. It’s just natural growth and development. We haven’t seen the vets of Makar yet, and I don’t think he’s maxed out in his role.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I just think it’s really unlikely for a defenceman to come into the league averaging 21-22 minutes a game and then just stay that way the rest of his career.

He will build up his body, improve his overall skills, and gain more trust from the coaching staff. It’s just natural growth and development. We haven’t seen the vets of Makar yet, and I don’t think he’s maxed out in his role.

It isn't unusual top players to come in at near their peak minutes especially entering at 21, and the NHL has moved away from the 25+ minute defensemen.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Makar definitely got gassed in both third periods in games 1 and 2. In fact, I want to say he committed a bad turnover that he normally doesn't in one of those games and it cost them an empty net goal, can't remember which one, but I'm positive Bednar took him off the ice after that and closed it out with Girard or someone else.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ya know what Perron learned? That Jonathan Marchessault had a much better stick than he did. He tried it out when he was in Vegas, and his shooting went from okay to elite. That's about the only thing that significantly changed. Perron is still a very talented, but problematic player, but he contributes a hell of a whole lot more offensively thanks to one simple equipment alteration. Also helps that Ryan O'Reilly is there to do all the hard work, so he can focus on other areas of his game, like cross checking guys without the puck.

Burakovsky's almost the exact opposite. The shooting and skating are fantastic, it's the hockey IQ and occasionally, the drive that seem to disappear at times. He'd be a superstar if he could bring it consistently, but unfortunately I don't think he can. Negotiations with him should be interesting.

That is funny, did you find that somewhere?

I don't remember Perron back checking as much as he does, or being as physical. Not necessarily hits, but strong on the puck in the corners, and in battles.

Sounds like both Makar, and Bura need to go train with Mack in the off-season.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Makar definitely got gassed in both third periods in games 1 and 2. In fact, I want to say he committed a bad turnover that he normally doesn't in one of those games and it cost them an empty net goal, can't remember which one, but I'm positive Bednar took him off the ice after that and closed it out with Girard or someone else.

He and all the other top guys had a three minute shift near the end of one of those games. Can’t remember which one. They were pushing for a goal I believe.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think the secret to liking Bura is to really limit your expectations from him. As long as he gets in at least one really good shot a game I'm pretty much happy with him.

For sure. If he's contributing to possession, and potting in goals without big slumps between them, that's good with me.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It isn't unusual top players to come in at near their peak minutes especially entering at 21, and the NHL has moved away from the 25+ minute defensemen.

Ya, although I think its not necessarily how many minutes he plays the entire night but how many in any given period. He played a ridiculous amount of minutes during that one third period, and obviously it gassed him. I'd say, he can probably get to 24 minutes a night if he plays no more than 8 minutes a period, but thats hard to accomplish given game flow; so I think he averages out at 21 minutes a night in the future.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I've only seen Makar gassed in one or two games so far. He's a rookie that missed the mini training camp with an injury, and it's taken him a bit to get back to 100% game shape though.

It's also not true that the NHL has moved away from 25+ minute defenseman. 7 defenseman in the regular season, and 17 in the playoffs this year did so

If Chabot, Heiskanen, Werenski, Rielly, and Dumba can play big minutes so can Makar.

They all rely on athletism and quick bursts in their skating too. Especially when Makar's been given big minutes much less than they have.

Regular Season

Thomas Chabot - 26:00
Drew doughty - 25:49
Roman Josi - 25:47
Kris Letang - 25:44
Oscar Klefbom - 25:25
Brent Burns - 25:25
Seth Jones - 25:17

Playoffs

Seth Jones - 32:40
Zach Werenski - 30:03
Morgan Rielly - 28:22
Roman Josi - 26:56
Kris Letang - 26:47
Ryan Ellis - 26:39
Ryan McDonaugh - 26:07
Jacob Slavin - 26:02
Miro Heiskanen - 25:48
Duncan Keith - 25:27
Jeff Petry - 25:27
David Savard - 25:24
Shea Weber - 25:17
Aaron Ekblad - 25:13
Alex Pietrangelo -25:12
Matt Dumba - 25:03
Ivan Proorov - 25:00

Cale Makar - 22:47

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I dont think anyone is disputing whether or not he can play 24 minutes a night. The question is should he if you want the absolute best from him? Time will tell I guess.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I dont think anyone is disputing whether or not he can play 24 minutes a night. The question is should he if you want the absolute best from him? Time will tell I guess.

It's definitely being disputed. Makar "doesn't have 25+ minute skating" is being repeated daily now.

That's the same kind of repetition that led to the false "EJ is a bottom pairing defenseman falling off a cliff" narrative.

If Karlsson, Letang, Heiskanen, Dumba, Chabot, Werenski, and Rielly have been able to be 25+ minute defnenseman, so can Makar. Karlsson was basically his whole career in the regular season and playoffs, and so was Letang in the playoffs.

It's not something they need from him all the time, but he can do it because he's a great athlete. It's just taken him a bit to get back to 100% because he missed the mini camp with an injury.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

He can also figure out how to be more efficient and economical on ice and have a partner who is capable of helping shoulder more of the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad