GDT: R2G3: Panic Buttons vs. Dallas Stars - 8/26/20, 8:30pm MDT

Whose fault is it really?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Girard gets a pass from me because that little midget is arguably the guy that started the Avs' "**** you" attitude last night when he just started jousting and whacking at Joe Pavelski for no reason after a whistle early in the first period.

**** Joe Pavelski. I respect pests that actually know they're pests like Antoine Roussel more than I do guys that try to play the "respect" card and then play like pests. Just own up to what you are.

Reactions: Barklez

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Also, I think in game 4, or at least I hope, we see a more calm Francouz. It might not have been an amazing game, but he did make some key saves and the goals that he allowed, he didn't really have a chance on a couple of them.

I think more than anything, getting that first win out of the way in the playoffs is going to be huge for him. It'll relieve some stress for sure.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I saw Quinn play a little throughout the year and now have watched most of his playoff games, and I keep coming away with the same conclusion. Great offensive player, little to no defense. Hates any kind of contact, relies mainly on his positioning and stick work which isn't bad but it's getting him exposed in the playoffs especially when he has to match up with any kind of hard forecheck. O'Reilly made him look bad on multiple occasions last series. Flys the zone way too quickly, he is always thinking offense first. This puts his forwards in the awkward position of having to help the other dman get the puck out.

He is basically the new generation, offensive dman. It's offense, more offense and more offense mixed in with occasional defensive play.

I'm not here to compare him to Makar, but it's pretty easy to see that Makar has a much more rounded game. Very glad we have him.

I dont actually agree with that at all. I think he's fantastic defensively and in the regular season it was clearly on full display. His gap control and stick work was already top tier in the league and ya he shies away from contact like you'd probably expect from a smaller rookie Dman. But he was so good defensively off the rush and in transition that often times plays were shut down before the play even reached the point of a check being delivered.

The problem is playoff hockey is just that much tighter checking and a different game, that he doesn't have the time or ability to make plays and avoid contact cleanly, and I think it is catching up to him here now. And its the same thing with Girard.

Part of why I keep banging the table for a G and Cale pairing is that both guys are so damn quick moving the puck that as a pairing they would really be able to limit the defensive zone time together. But without EJ we would have no puck moving ability from the other two pairings which would just hurt us more in the long run.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I realized that it's all my fault we're down in the series. I put it together this morning...

I don't drink them very often, but work has been a wild ride lately, so I've been drinking 3-4 Red Bulls a week for a few weeks now. When it has lined up with the Avs games, they have lost every time. Well actually I drank part of one on Game 1 of the Coyote's series but it was a nasty flavor so I didn't finish it :sarcasm:

So I didn't drink one today. You're welcome!

jk, but seriously just please win :help:
I was right :sarcasm:

Reactions: The Abusement Park

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hard to gauge Frankie honestly.

Yeah he's given up 4 goals in each of his 2 starts now.... But especially in his first start only 1 goal was his fault(Mind you it was really bad), tonight.... None of them were nearly as bad as that one he allowed to Lindell in Game 2, but I think he probably wants the Gurianov one back especially. Not much he could do on the Benn tip goal, Seguin goal in the first was a result of a few things, one of which was Frankie overplaying the original shot but I think Mack losing that race against Seguin to the slot was the real killer.
My personal thoughts of Francouz...

1st goal: His fault, he overplayed the puck and was scared of the Stars player hitting it off of him. He over slide, the Star player noticed, and went behind the net for the one-timer which he was very late in getting across.

2nd goal: Not his fault, Gurianov is a good scorer and we should give him credit for sniping it through a limited angle because Francouz was covering majority of the net. Bad penalty to take to lead up to the goal.

3rd goal: Partially his fault, partially Nukes fault. This is a 50/50 for me because the play that lead up to the goal is absolutely pathetic for Nichushkin and then he decides to screen Francouz. However, this shot isn't a post and in perfection either, on the goal Pavel doesn't stand up tall. He actually shrinks and bends his back over which for a shorter goaler is already playing with fire. For a such an important momentum draining play/goal he HAS to save that, no questions asked.

4th goal: I think a lot of us went a bit too hard after him on this one, if it was a pure clean shot then I would understand the criticism. Though, based upon the replay it's obvious that it goes through Benn's leg and changes direction for the worst. I think that Francouz played a bit too deep there, but not a lot of goalers were going to stop that deflection.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
They certainly didn't make it easy on us, but I'm almost wondering if this character win serves us better than if we had just won outright or something. Especially after giving up the 2-goal lead the game before, we were a bit gun shy. Obviously, the team would prefer to not give back these goals to Dallas but they dug deep and found a way to win. If they can learn to not choke when they're up, then maybe they've turned a new leaf and can continue to hold leads. I'm hoping we can just hold off for Calvert to get back because I think he really is the glue guy for us, or at least the bottom 6. Injecting him back into the lineup could be a HUGE boost for the team mentally and physically.

I would not hope for Heiskanen to be hurt, and I didn't really like the hit from Rants, but I hope he's a big banged up where we can slow him down a bit because he's been f***ing fantastic. What a player. Sure, they're a bigger team, but how have they managed to stay completely healthy (aside from Bishop/Johns who were hurt before) while we are dropping like flies. I'm hoping we start getting some bounces and some luck because we sure haven't had any of it in this series thus far.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I loved seeing the team fight back last night. Of course losing the lead again and almost falling apart wasn't good but they didn't feel sorry for themselves and answered back immediately.

A lot of guys showed up. Landeskog led the way and was in full viking mode, Kadri and the new second line played well, Makar was great again, Zadorov before his injury, Compher had his best game, Nieto's work on the PK, etc. I have to give props to Connauton as well for how his play, especially since I didn't think he had any business being in the lineup.

I really hope we see Landeskog, Kadri, Compher, Cole, etc bring that same energy and physicality going forward. Kadri is right on that line and the refs are just waiting to penalize him but **** it, keep playing that same way. Keep hitting Klingberg every chance you get and then letting him know about it afterwards. I don't want the new and improved mature Kadri in this series.

My two areas of concern would be the PP reverting back to being bad. Also, I have little to no faith in Francouz right now.

Reactions: 21

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
My personal thoughts of Francouz...

1st goal: His fault, he overplayed the puck and was scared of the Stars player hitting it off of him. He over slide, the Star player noticed, and went behind the net for the one-timer which he was very late in getting across.

2nd goal: Not his fault, Gurianov is a good scorer and we should give him credit for sniping it through a limited angle because Francouz was covering majority of the net. Bad penalty to take to lead up to the goal.

3rd goal: Partially his fault, partially Nukes fault. This is a 50/50 for me because the play that lead up to the goal is absolutely pathetic for Nichushkin and then he decides to screen Francouz. However, this shot isn't a post and in perfection either, on the goal Pavel doesn't stand up tall. He actually shrinks and bends his back over which for a shorter goaler is already playing with fire. For a such an important momentum draining play/goal he HAS to save that, no questions asked.

4th goal: I think a lot of us went a bit too hard after him on this one, if it was a pure clean shot then I would understand the criticism. Though, based upon the replay it's obvious that it goes through Benn's leg and changes direction for the worst. I think that Francouz played a bit too deep there, but not a lot of goalers were going to stop that deflection.

And he still outplayed the other goalie.

But with our injuries; we do need Frankie to steal a game and that means goals 1 and 3 have to be stopped; goal 3 and 4 in game 2 as well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
And he still outplayed the other goalie.
Ehhhhh, we've blown two two goal leads in the last two games on a part of Francouz turtling on some of those goals. Sure Khudobin is a backup and this series is the series of the backups, but Dobby is one of the better backup goalers in the league easily for me. He's outplayed our goalers thus far in this series even though he's prone at letting in some stinkers like the Zadorov goal as well. I agree with what everything else you said though.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Anyone else find it a little funny on Mikko's goal?

"Rantanen the Finish"
finnisher_200x200.png

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Right...that makes total sense. :shakehead

Varly is proving me right that it takes goalies like a year+ to really recover from that surgery, but they do recover. Rask did it a little faster, and Luongo went through it too. I believe he is the one that the quotes about it come from mostly.

Couldn't take the risk, but good for Varly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad