World Cup: R16: Uruguay vs. Portugal, 6/30/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That's what Cavani does, he's always open because, as many defensemen have stated, he's best player in the world when it comes to off the ball movement.
It's like saying Muller isn't good because all he does is drift around and find open space, as if always being open is easy.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Muller isn't as good at finding open space as Cavani nor is he as good at finishing nor is he of any f***ing use whatsoever defensively or in the midfield....and I say that as a Bayern fan.

Anyways, I can see them beating France, just need to keep the defence organized. Both teams look like they have a bit of an underperforming offense that can click when given space on talent alone but they at least have an organized defence.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Muller appeared that he was eventually going to be good as Cavani is now, it didn't happen.

Part of it is that Cavani is a better athlete, but the other part is the Cavani is in the top five of football smarts for current players worldwide. You look at the two teams here on paper and one isn't even close to the other, except for the fact that Uruguay has two amazing strikers, and two better CB that have a great partnership. Same as in 2010 when Uruguay made the SF.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
For all the crap Neymar deservedly gets for his playacting, Suarez is every bit as bad.

Looks like Portugal burned through a generation's worth of good fortune at the 2016 Euro's.
Yeah I like Suarez for his perseverance and dedication to the game, but I second the motion that he was more likable a few years ago. Today was a disgrace out there.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Hasn't Suarez always been like that on the pitch, or was it worse today?

The thing with Suarez is when he plays for your team so you get to follow him off the pitch a little more closely you realise what a wonderful person he is off the pitch, but something happens to him once he's entering the pitch :laugh: I hate the stuff he does on the pitch but it's difficult to hate the guy

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Hasn't Suarez always been like that on the pitch, or was it worse today?

The thing with Suarez is when he plays for your team so you get to follow him off the pitch a little more closely you realise what a wonderful person he is off the pitch, but something happens to him once he's entering the pitch :laugh: I hate the stuff he does on the pitch but it's difficult to hate the guy
I feel it's worse. I cheered hard for him individually at Liverpool since there was a witch Hunt out for him. Idk maybe it's the Barca DNA.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
f*** Suarez. Seriously. I went from hoping both teams take this to "Go Portugal".

The good thing it -- it will be easier to cheer against Uruguay than against Portugal.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
For all the crap Neymar deservedly gets for his playacting, Suarez is every bit as bad.

Looks like Portugal burned through a generation's worth of good fortune at the 2016 Euro's.
Euro16 was really the last chance for Portugal. This years team was seriously old in football standards. Still, decent enough show and an exit with boots on. Portugals best years were ten years ago.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
No post on my boy Lucas Torreia? He seems like he'll be the next great DM.

Remember though, Uruguay doesn't have a better team than Portugal. Their star players just had their moments of magic and Ronaldo didn't. Torreira, Godin, Gimenez? They're scrubs.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Remember though, Uruguay doesn't have a better team than Portugal. Their star players just had their moments of magic and Ronaldo didn't. Torreira, Godin, Gimenez? They're scrubs.

Carvalho is better than Torreira.

On paper, Portugal is better, but the games aren't played there.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Yeah, no. Uruguay may not have more depth, but they have better players for the most vital positions. Godín in particular is one of the best centre backs in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad