World Cup: R16: Uruguay vs. Portugal, 6/30/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Gross.

Well, on the plus side these are pretty much my two least favourite teams remaining. So at least one of 'em has to lose. :laugh:

Picked Portugal....if Ronaldo wants to advance, though, he's going to have to put one past the only team that has yet to allow a goal.

Reactions: Eisen and Havre

member 51464

Go Uruguay. Most underrated country in Latin America. Seriously, I mean politically. I know nothing of their soccer team. Nice flag too.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Cavani usually chokes at this stage. They likely need 2010 Forlan to win vs Portugal.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Have not been impressed by either of these teams thus far. Going with a Portugal win just cause I think they have shown better football over the group stage...plus I would love to see Suarez go home.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I'm glad it's Saturday so I'll be able to watch this amazing duel. I'm leaning towards Uruguay here, they're way more used to that kind of game.

GunkWinger

Oct 21, 2008
CT
I have to go with Uruguay here but it's close. Both teams put other teams and fans to sleep. But we have to two star strikers and they have Ronaldo. If we can neutralize him then they have to try and do that to two players.

Both also have the ability to win games that maybe they shouldnt.

Buddlee

Apr 15, 2018
Go Portugal!
2ItegeR

2tJMe9Q

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
These are the kind of games where Portugal produces nothing all match except for one sudden magic moment (/penalty) that saves the match for them. Desparately hoping that's not going to be the case.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
These are the kind of games where Portugal produces nothing all match except for one sudden magic moment (/penalty) that saves the match for them. Desparately hoping that's not going to be the case.

This has all the trappings of a game where Portugal has one shot on goal for 87', then Ronaldo scores at the end and they advance.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Gimenez is out for this match and will be replaced by Coates.

Significant loss for Uruguay. Godin and Gimenez are one of the most reliable CB partnerships in the tournament and it will not be easy for Coates to deal with CR7's movement from the left-hand-side of the box.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Coates is slower than Gimenez but better in the air (much thanks to being 1,96cm). Don't think it gonna be a problem. I'm curious to see what team gonna try to control the pace of the match as both sides are better as underdogs and playing in the counter. If Tabarez goes with his more technical midfielder, Uruguay could control the match but also be exposed to counters which would be a problem with a slower Coates playing alongside Godin who isn't a fast player anymore.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Uruguay has better and deeper talent, but Portugal is a team of destiny carried by the best player in this tourney after Modric. I think I see Portugal continuing on, but it should be ultra close.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Uruguay is playing like Atletico Madrid of South America.
Portugal is play like Portugal of 2016.

I don't think anyone is predicting a goal-fest here. :D

I can't really say that much about Uruguay, noone can at this point, aside that they're defensively great and very compact.
Their games have been against inferior teams though, so we'll see how they do in the knockout rounds.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
If Ronaldo has one of “those games” forget it Portugal wins. If he’s quiet I see this going to PK’s

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Uruguay is playing like Atletico Madrid of South America.
Portugal is play like Portugal of 2016.

I don't think anyone is predicting a goal-fest here. :D

I can't really say that much about Uruguay, noone can at this point, aside that they're defensively great and very compact.
Their games have been against inferior teams though, so we'll see how they do in the knockout rounds.

Not even close.

The 2016 team didn’t allow a shot on goal over 90 minutes... regularly.

This team allowed 15 shots against Morocco and has been hanging on by the skin of their teeth. The 2016 team never looked likely to be scored on, always in control with little danger. This one is constantly under fire.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Not even close.

The 2016 team didn’t allow a shot on goal over 90 minutes... regularly.

This team allowed 15 shots against Morocco and has been hanging on by the skin of their teeth. The 2016 team never looked likely to be scored on, always in control with little danger. This one is constantly under fire.

They sure cruised the group stage full in control of their own destiny and never in danger of being scored against, especially in that Hungary game :sarcasm:

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They sure cruised the group stage full in control of their own destiny and never in danger of being scored against, especially in that Hungary game :sarcasm:
Honestly it quite amazes me how people remember things the way they want to. Really amuses me.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Well, when remembering those 3 Hungarian goals, who remembers two of them as taking the most absurd deflections on the way into the goal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad