Euro: R16: Germany vs. Slovakia, 6/26/2016

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Really not even arguing.
I was complementing Gomez and suddenly someone brought Benzema in the discussion. No idea why.

And then the prison stuff. After that we're back to school level with "capitulation" stuff. Coming in a germany thread no less.

Proud nazi humour I guess. :facepalm:

Today Nazi stuff has no room in a football discussion. Some people are idiots. Maybe we take out Spain/Italy and we'll face each other at the semis. That's what counts, football, nothing else.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Podolski is allways great with the fans. Kind of wierd that the guy is the 3rd most capped German player ever and will probably end at 2nd most. Don't think he can catch Loddar's 150 games.

The DfB will prevent that. Jogi and his man crush on Poldi for the last years has to end. No need making a mascot a record player for Germany. Enough is enough.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The DfB will prevent that. Jogi and his man crush on Poldi for the last years has to end. No need making a mascot a record player for Germany. Enough is enough.
It's still 21 caps away, I don't think he'll get there with so many talented wingers available.

Draxler, Gotze, Ozil, Muller, Sane, Meyer, Brandt... No way.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Really not even arguing.
I was complementing Gomez and suddenly someone brought Benzema in the discussion. No idea why.

And then the prison stuff. After that we're back to school level with "capitulation" stuff. Coming in a germany thread no less.

Proud nazi humour I guess. :facepalm:

Pretty sure you brought the war into it. Unless the word 'capitulation' immediately evokes war associations for you which given you're French might be understandable enough. ;)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Today Nazi stuff has no room in a football discussion. Some people are idiots. Maybe we take out Spain/Italy and we'll face each other at the semis. That's what counts, football, nothing else.
No argument here. If we ever reach the semis, I expect Germany to kick our ***** ;)

Pretty sure you brought the war into it. Unless the word 'capitulation' immediately evokes war associations for you which given you're French might be understandable enough. ;)

I didn't bring war into the discussion. You did :
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/capitulate

Don't try to backpedal.
And if you're not 10 years old, you should know your history. France was arguably the most dominant country for almost 1000 years. Of course, I could try to tell a german Napoleon made Germany capitulate.
But that would dumb wouldn't it?

Yes it would. That'd be Nazi humor.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hopefully Italy wins tomorrow not Spain because I can see the Spanish midfield dominating possession and at the same time countering when they need against Germany but Germany should be able to beat Italy.

You are aware that we've never beaten the italians in a competitive match. And their bunkering style is what we struggle the most with. I feel much more confident in opening Spain up than I do the Italians.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Spain and Italy are IMO the biggest rivals to Germany. Both can beat them.
Not that Italy is among the best 3 teams in the tournament, but they fit well against Germany.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I didn't bring war into the discussion. You did :
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/capitulate

Don't try to backpedal.
And if you're not 10 years old, you should know your history. France was arguably the most dominant country for almost 1000 years. Of course, I could try to tell a german Napoleon made Germany capitulate.

Mon dieu.

I used the term capitulate because I figured the French NT wouldn't give up a fight and lose very orderly - much the the term implies. It was not a war reference, it was not a Vichy France reference, it was nothing of the sort. France has a glorious military history and I follow the lead of prominent historians in fully understanding why France was not willing to sacrifice yet another generation of young men by the time the Second World War came around - there was no offense intended.

That said, Benzema is a criminal and your national team often finds new and more shocking ways to embarrass their nation. Revolts, headbutts and scandals - oh so many scandals. :laugh:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Aren't you a FC Hollywood fan?

So who's talking about scandals?
Club and country are different, but even so - France 2001-2016 (until this tournament) has been scandal after scandal. Bayern not nearly so much.

_70805123_70805122.jpg

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
2001? 2010 yes, before not really. A red card isn't much of a scandal.

FC Hollywood has like 50 years of scandalous history.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Club and country are different, but even so - France 2001-2016 (until this tournament) has been scandal after scandal. Bayern not nearly so much.

_70805123_70805122.jpg

Please stop here: Breno, Ribery, Hoeneß, Rummenigge and not to forget Beckenbauer's role at WC 2006. Bayern is full of scandals. Can we please stop!

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
]

Just to be correct. Germany didnt exist at that time.
It consisted of many more or less little kingdoms.
For example the kingdom there i life Saxony, fought with France against Prussia. Anyway its not a history forum...;)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just to be correct. Germany didnt exist at that time.
It consisted of many more or less little kingdoms.
For example the kingdom there i life Saxony, fought with France against Prussia. Anyway its not a history forum...;)
Yes I know obviously. I didn't mean to be exact historically :D

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Please stop here: Breno, Ribery, Hoeneß, Rummenigge and not to forget Beckenbauer's role at WC 2006. Bayern is full of scandals. Can we please stop!
Breno, Becks with the WC and Hoeness all happened outside of Bayern's operations - what's Bayern to do about Hoeness' personal taxes or the DFB's alleged bribery? LvG dropping his trousers, Ribery punching Robben once (for which, I'd argue he should've been sold immediately if he didn't apologize and accept a massive fine) and Rummenigge never shutting his mouth are small-time...

The French scandals that we all know about almost entirely all happened within the squad, while they were supposed to be representing their nation. Prostitution, statutory sexual assault, drugs, blackmail, allegedly racist selection policies, red card headbutt to cost the WC final (and it was celebrated because of "honour"!), squad bullying youngsters, players kicked out during tournaments, players staging coups and then invited back to start (Evra!!), and whatever juicy disaster they'll serve up for us this time.

It's incomparable :popcorn:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The problem with the French has been that the Benzema-Ribery clique tried to re-create a banlieue in the squad. Deschamps has tried to nip that in the bud by avoiding the selection of some of those players but if they don't win the tournament, those divisions will come back.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Prostitution didn't happen within the squad. Ribery slept with an underage hooker while being... a Bayern player ! So that's actually against your point.

Racists selection policies is a lie.

Sexual assault? Not sure who you're targeting here.

Red card offense in 2006 is hardly a scandal. Just a stupid play. Celebrated by whom exactly? Lies again.

Bullying youngsters? Lie.

Lots, lots of lies in one single post.

Incomparable to team president being in jail, other main figure taking money to buy Germany a WC, psycho playing himself out of football, etc, etc, etc...? Right.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Rummenigge's "watch incident", Beckenbauer's role 2006 and Qatar "I didn't see slavery", Breno's burning his house, IIRC the "Pizza incident" of Basler were all during their Bayern time.

Respond what you want, I'm done here.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The problem with the French has been that the Benzema-Ribery clique tried to re-create a banlieue in the squad. Deschamps has tried to nip that in the bud by avoiding the selection of some of those players but if they don't win the tournament, those divisions will come back.
Yyyyup. And the football federation just let it fester and happen for years... much like - ah nevermind. :laugh:

Prostitution didn't happen within the squad. Ribery slept with an underage hooker while being... a Bayern player ! So that's actually against your point.

Racists selection policies is a lie.

Sexual assault? Not sure who you're targeting here.

Red card offense in 2006 is hardly a scandal. Just a stupid play. Celebrated by whom exactly? Lies again.

Bullying youngsters? Lie.

Lots, lots of lies in one single post.

Incomparable to team president being in jail, other main figure taking money to buy Germany a WC, psycho playing himself out of football, etc, etc, etc...? Right.
She slept with two prominent NT players and she was underage- is that a lie?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...erage-prostitute-famous-fashion-designer.html

The allegations against choosing black/african players- is that a lie?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/may/08/andrew-hussey-french-football-racism

Zidane's headbutt was immortalized in front of the Pompidou- another lie? (not to mention the legions of French people post-hoc arguging that giving up a final is worth "defending your sister's honour")
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...e-zidane-head-butt-with-a-statue-8180448.html

Gourcuff getting bullied- another conspiracy against Evilo!
http://en.yagg.com/2010/07/08/france’s-world-cup-fiasco-and-now-homophobia/

All lies. :laugh:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Rummenigge's "watch incident", Beckenbauer's role 2006 and Qatar "I didn't see slavery", Breno's burning his house, IIRC the "Pizza incident" of Basler were all during their Bayern time.

Respond what you want, I'm done here.

As if Platini and all of the Spanish weren't also bought by Qatar? I'll accept FC Hollywood exists but at worst they're still nowhere close to the dumpster fire that is the French NT every tournament

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
She slept with two prominent NT players and she was underage- is that a lie?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...erage-prostitute-famous-fashion-designer.html
I didn't say it was a lie, I said it was a Bayern problem.
So...? Erh...? Yeah. Your problem.

The allegations against choosing black/african players- is that a lie? https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/may/08/andrew-hussey-french-football-racism
Yes, because it was never a selection policy. So a lie. Blanc simply said bigger stronger black youngsters should not be such a stressed policy among young teams.
Hardly what you made it out to be.

LIE.

Zidane's headbutt was immortalized in front of the Pompidou- another lie? (not to mention the legions of French people post-hoc arguging that giving up a final is worth "defending your sister's honour")
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...e-zidane-head-butt-with-a-statue-8180448.html

Yep, a red card is not a scandal and it was certainly not celebrated in France.
LIE.

Yep, this was denied by everyone involved, including Gourcuff.

LIE.

All lies. :laugh:

Well, yes. Grand slam you made ! :handclap:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Stick to what happened during this game or this tournament itself, not past irrelevant events involving other countries or club teams.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Germany's midfield is wide open because Kroos and Khedira aren't defensive midfielders, they'll drift forward if the opposition sits back, which is part of what makes Germany vulnerable on the counter.

But creates a lot of pressure. I like that. It's better than parking.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Stick to what happened during this game or this tournament itself, not past irrelevant events involving other countries or club teams.
Damn, I had like fifty other links to post.

But creates a lot of pressure. I like that. It's better than parking.
There is a balance between parking and pressuring too much. They were facing a lesser opponent today so they got hasty going forward, I doubt they'll be so gung-ho against Spain or Italy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad