World Cup: R16: France vs. Argentina. 6/30/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
If you can look at the thread, you'll see I commented rarely because I didn't have much internet access.
And I don't feel let down to have won 2 tournaments and been to 2 finals in the last 10 international tournaments. Only one bitter (if you understand the word that is) is you really.
Yes, Argentinas second goal is a total fluke. Lucky deflection. Di Maria wouldn't be able to strike another one like this in 100 attempts.
So yes, Argentina scoring those two goals is complete luck.

Can't remember Argentina having a single other good chance.

Dude, their last major tournament win was in 2000. " In the last 10 international tournaments " is some slick way to put it. :laugh:

I'm bitter as a french fan because they've been a fairly big letdown since 2000 - outside of '06 - and partly 2016 (where they had the jekyll and hyde act) while having world-class rosters in just about every tournament since. And how was Argentina's second a fluke? Messi sent a ball towards the net and the Argentinian player deflected it intentionally. That's a good play. Not a fluke. And I'm not even going to get into the first goal. That was completely on the French defense who played way too low and gave Di Maria all the time in the world to set up his strike. Again, France deserved to win, they were the better team, but that you would disagree that the national team has been underwhelming in contrast to its talent in the past few tournaments is both preposterous and unsurprising coming from you. You dislike anyone giving the French team heat if it's not you.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm a Dutch fan, so take this for what its worth. But am I crazy to think that Mbappe is right now where Kluivert was in 95/96? An unbeliveable physical talent, who can take over games. But he still needs to prove it isn't just physical ability that makes him so good? Of course Kluivert never took that next step.

Or has Mbappe already passed that? I'm not sure yet.
Mbappe is passed that and Kliuvert was never as fast.
It's more like Henry and Fatnaldo.
Nobody has ever scored so many goals so young in the CL.
Nobody has ever scored so many goals so young in the WC since Pele.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Dude, their last major tournament win was in 2000. " In the last 10 international tournaments " is some slick way to put it. :laugh:

I'm bitter as a french fan because they've been a fairly big letdown since 2000 - outside of '06 - and partly 2016 (where they had the jekyll and hyde act) while having world-class rosters in just about every tournament since. And how was Argentina's second a fluke? Messi sent a ball towards the net and the Argentinian player deflected it intentionally. That's a good play. Not a fluke. And I'm not even going to get into the first goal. That was completely on the French defense who played way too low and gave Di Maria all the time in the world to set up his strike. Again, France deserved to win, they were the better team, but that you would disagree that the national team has been underwhelming in contrast to its talent in the past few tournaments is both preposterous and unsurprising coming from you. You dislike anyone giving the French team heat if it's not you.
Well you only get a chance every two years.
It's a fact. France reached the final of 4 of the last 10 tournaments. Including 2 of the last 6.
Please name me the teams that have reached as many finals in the last 10 tournaments. Please do.

Second goal was totally a fluke. Messi never intended it to be deflected, Mercado never wanted to deflect it. You can see at the position of his foot that he never intended to do it. Fluke goal.
First goal was obviously a defensive mistake, but still as I said, no way Di Maria scores it again.

I don't mind France being called out when they deserve it.
Saying they're a CONSISTENT LETDOWN" is simply wrong.

PS : I also disagree with the notion France is supposed to win it all all the time and has WC rosters. Not only does France often have holes in the lineup (during those 20 years I mean), but WC roster includes coaches and there have been few good french coaches, and we were treated with 6 years of Domenech.
To reach 4/10 international finals is quite an achievement. Only times I felt let down was 2002 and 2004 when we had a roster good enough to win and a decent coach.
2016 was a fluke goal. And a fluke post. Shit happens.

Reactions: le_sean

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's a fact. France reached the final of 4 of the last 10 tournaments. Including 2 of the last 6.
Please name me the teams that have reached as many finals in the last 10 tournaments. Please do.

Just Argentina (five finals) and Brazil I think. Which is why some of the Messi criticism is even more bizarre.

All of the finals except 2004 (wasn't there) and 2007 Copa America have been Messi dragging lumps to a final. Argentina has also scored in 0 of the finals Messi played in. Good teams know how to shut one player down completely, its always been true. Wonder how many of the Maradona lovers know he didn't score in that final either.

Reactions: Hoek and Stray Wasp

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The Pavard goal actually really makes me wonder about this ball. That's some wicked spin on that ball. I also couldn't help but notice the many instances of players mistiming their headers and shots in this tournament. It makes me wonder if the aerodynamic properties of this ball aren't a bit 'off' compared to other balls used during the season. Maybe the World Cup will be won by the team that's been the most diligent about preparing with this ball.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
But the idea that a leader can succeed without gifted subordinates is usually utter nonsense.

Indeed, many a fine leader has undone themselves by believing the flatterers who tell them they can do everything alone and dispose of the talented lieutenants who helped them reach the peak of their powers.

The ability to delegate to the correct people is usually considered a measure of leadership skills.
Yes, I agree that leaders should have support. But Messi isn't a leader. He is a hostage of his own talent though, and he can't handle all this enormous pressure when he plays for the national team.

I really wanted him to win in 2014. I wanted him to remove this burden off his shoulders, and I thought that Argentina played well in that final. He did have some great chances that he typically buries, but he just didn't that time...

Reactions: Merya

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Having Messi as captain is a really bad thing. I don't think he enjoys the burden at all. Maybe in 4 years at 35 he can be a supersub and win something internationally. This fiasco tho drops him from all GOAT discussion. Adieu Messifans.

Reactions: Firsov99

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I think it’s a bit of a statement for some who question the mental toughness of this French generation to come back like they did. Still, conceding 3 vs an inconsistent Argentinian attack might be a concern going forward.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
The warnings signs were there from the beginning, France could have kept hoofing long balls for Mbappé and Dembélé to run after and they would have trashed Argentina by double digits. It's not as if Sampaoli would have made any kind of adjustment anyways.

Wow didn't know Dybala and Icardi were both 25, thought they were younger. These guys have been robbed of a WC in their prime by the idiots in charge of Argentinean foot all.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Vacationing so I will only be able to watch extended highlights for the next 2 weeks, but Wowsers looks like the stars came out yesterday evening in Russia. Must have been spectacular to watch live.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Not what I’m suggesting. Move Griezmann or Mbappe centrally.
Why would they mess with what is working? Giroud has been very good at leading the line then dropping back and having Griezmann and Mbappe play off of him. Giroud isn't being used as the main scoring threat, he's being used for his ability to make link up plays, which he is excellent at doing.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Second goal was totally a fluke. Messi never intended it to be deflected, Mercado never wanted to deflect it. You can see at the position of his foot that he never intended to do it. Fluke goal.
First goal was obviously a defensive mistake, but still as I said, no way Di Maria scores it again.

I don't mind France being called out when they deserve it.
Saying they're a CONSISTENT LETDOWN" is simply wrong.

PS : I also disagree with the notion France is supposed to win it all all the time and has WC rosters. Not only does France often have holes in the lineup (during those 20 years I mean), but WC roster includes coaches and there have been few good french coaches, and we were treated with 6 years of Domenech.
To reach 4/10 international finals is quite an achievement. Only times I felt let down was 2002 and 2004 when we had a roster good enough to win and a decent coach.
2016 was a fluke goal. And a fluke post. **** happens.

Missed that. Let's just agree to disagree - I will say though that asking " Who's reached what they have? " rings a little hollow when you think that not many nations have the quality to go as far as France can. Euro 2008, WC 2010, Euro 2012 are all tournaments where they fell way short for the quality they had. One could argue the two following tournaments but they're not on the same level as the one mentioned.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
From 08 to 12, France had big holes.

I don't think it's fair to expect a team to consistantly dominate.
Right now, we have amazing talent, but a bit young and I don't expect us to win this year.
I do expect a trophy or two in the next decade. But I won't be disappointed if they lose in the semis of this WC for instance. Even against Uruguay, although I hope they do win obviously.

Reactions: Amerika

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad