World Cup: R16: France vs. Argentina. 6/30/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
In 78, Argentina managed to beat France on a scandalous penalty. Tresor touched the ball with his arm (not on purpose at all), and the ref didn't call a penalty.
Under the pressure of crazy Argentine players and a mad stadium, he simply chose to change his mind many seconds after the fact. One of the most scandalous ref decision ever.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
In 78, Argentina managed to beat France on a scandalous penalty. Tresor touched the ball with his arm (not on purpose at all), and the ref didn't call a penalty.
Under the pressure of crazy Argentine players and a mad stadium, he simply chose to change his mind many seconds after the fact. One of the most scandalous ref decision ever.

And I thought NHL refs were bad.....

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And I thought NHL refs were bad.....
To be fair, I don't think it could happen anymore. Back then there was a dictatorship in Argentina and it was REALLY up front during that WC.

Also, the penalty claim in itself was hardly incredible. Tresor tackled the ball IIRC and the ball hit his extended arm on the way towards the goal. What was scandalous is the ref changing his mind because of the pressure around him.

Jan 3, 2012
They will decide to unite and form one country, then Frargentinance will get a bye to the next round and go on to win the tournament.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
This will be the first time France will play vs a team who presumably won't park the bus.

I expect them to dominate, win, and look good doing it.
Don't let the Nigeria win fool you, Argentina is not in the same class as France.

Reactions: Elliman

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
First time Argentina is playing against a team that won't park the bus either, it should be said.

Both teams have terrible managers who don't know how to get the team to play great football, France has more individual talent, they should win. But if it's a tight game, a 0-0 game in the 80th minute, they don't have a Messi. I intend to bet on France, but I wouldn't be surprised by anything here.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
First time Argentina is playing against a team that won't park the bus either, it should be said.

Did you see the Croatia game? Croatia play high pressure, on and off. Even when they led 1-0 they applied high pressure.
In no way, shape or form, was Croatia inferior in any way in that game, or played anything resembling negative, defensive football.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Did you see the Croatia game? Croatia play high pressure, on and off. Even when they led 1-0 they applied high pressure.
In no way, shape or form, was Croatia inferior in any way in that game, or played anything resembling negative, defensive football.

I saw. Argentina still dominated possession completely and had their goalkeeper play like a complete moron.

I in no way intended to make it sound like Croatia was inferior. They were the better team, had a great plan, but they did play defensively. They had many more fouls, less possession, less passes, but they carved up Argentina when they had the ball.

That being said with the exception of Mascherano I thought Argentina was pretty good today. Nigeria's only joy going forward was because of his mistakes, of which there were many. Argentina had better chances and fat boy missed one. They looked nothing like the same team that played against Croatia, and Nigeria attempted to pressure them and were passed by numerous times.

For the record I think they will lose. They don't have a manager and pretty much nothing resembling decent tactics.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Homer vote for Argentina.

Only advantage they have is being the underdogs, they should have less pressure on them. Plus Messi magic is always possible.

The French attack hasn't looked convincing either.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
The most mouth-watering fixture of the round of 16, unless Brazil meets Germany of course.

Rooting for France and predicting Les Bleus to win in either regulation, extra-time or in a SO as well. Argentina's midfield has been far from world class and with no tactics to speak of I fully expect them to be overrun by the likes of Kante, Pogba et. al.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I think this will be a lot closer than people think. Argentina biggest weakness had been their lack of fight, after a win like the one against Nigeria I'd expect them to play their hearts out from now on. France is the favorite, though.

I'll be rooting for Argentina, but if France wins It'd be okay as well.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Will Sampaoli tinker some more? Banega was good, he should stay but Di Maria, Higuain and Mascherano were all complete disasters. I can see Aguero drawing back in for Higuain but there's no way no how Masch rides pine which could cost them this match.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
For his missed passes Masch is still the best they have as a DM on the team... unless FIfa forces Ascacibar to play. I mean him not making the tournament is why this tourney has been a farce. The World is crying for him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If you told me France beats Argentina 4-0... I would say yeah, that makes sense. As does a 1-0 win for either team.

I say this game could be had. France have DD but Argentina are inept. France also is worlds better on paper.

@Evilo's tears or mine. Either way HF rejoices.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo

I mean y'all are lucky he's not here... only to give the other nations a chance. With him Argentina would go 10 -0. not conceding a single goal.

He'll only be allowed to play for Argentina when Messi retires as having both the best forward and the best midfielder in the world simply isn't fair and would kill any kind of parity in the sport. I lol'd at 'most humiliating skill' in the video name

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He'll only be allowed to play for Argentina when Messi retires as having both the best forward and the best midfielder in the world simply isn't fair and would kill any kind of parity in the sport. I lol'd at 'most humiliating skill' in the video name

Ah that's the reason... thank you for explaining to us.

Yeah, when I stumbled upon it I was like WTF LOL. Then had to share.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->