World Cup: R16: Croatia vs. Denmark, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Nowhere near? I would like to see that list of players better than Eriksen. Not as good as Modric - I agree, but he is certainly near such a list. In his role at Spurs I'm not sure if I would have replaced him with anyone. I honestly can't think of a better player in that slightly more attacking role.
Modrić, Iniesta, Silva, Coutinho, De Bruyne, Kroos, Busquets, Isco, Thiago, Matić, SMS, Rakitić ...

The point is that he is in a group of great midfielders, but he is nowhere close to being considered the best at his position, which is how Modrić is regarded at the moment. He can get there one day, but right now he is not there.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Modrić, Iniesta, Silva, Coutinho, De Bruyne, Kroos, Busquets, Isco, Thiago, Matić, SMS, Rakitić ...

The point is that he is in a group of great midfielders, but he is nowhere close to being considered the best at his position, which is how Modrić is regarded at the moment. He can get there one day, but right now he is not there.

That is a strange group of players to compare. Only KDB would I consider definitely better than Eriksen in his current role. Iniesta used to be of course.

Anyway - we don't disagree about Modric vs. Eriksen, but I think you are underestimating Eriksen. He has slowly become an extremely good football player. And what makes him really special is that he is a playmaker that will run his socks of in every single game (not unlike Modric in that sense).

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Who called anyone a moron or idiot?
and hot takes? You are the only one posting 1 liners.

Nothing but bias and opinion to back it up.

There is a reason Eriksen was voted team of the year at his position by his peers.

Nothing but bias:

Ballon d'Or 2017: Ronaldo crowned as winner and top 30 revealed in full | Goal.com
UEFA Champions League Squad of the Season
Facts and figures: UEFA.com Team of the Year 2017
UEFA Champions League squad of the season

wtf are u ****ing on about? I said im fine with Raki being considered better. just not on another level.

And that my opinion and many many others is the same, go to barcaforums, or any other euro forum.

I said it was ridiculous to find it weird that some people find Eriksen better pr at least on par.

Jesus ****n christ, read the whole thread.

btw, if people don't understand how ignorant and blatantly stupid it is to sideline Denmark with Iceland I can't help you.

If that is the peak of HF football knowledge, im not going to waste more time on it.

To boot, it is also super disrespectful

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Luka Modrić is generally viewed as the best or at worst top 3 midfielders in the world, Eriksen is nowhere near that. And his age means jack in terms of current ability. I have no time to discuss this with people who post nothing but hot takes and call other people morons and idiots because they don't share their outlandish view on the topic at hand.
Let me gets this straight.. I ask you to debate on a nice way even blink ;) to you... Because you said all so called expert always Comes out when there are big tournament.. then you didn Like the view on 1 topic about Eriksen... Where have i or others been disrespectful? :confused: :eek:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I dont get it? what does this proove in correlation to what is being said?
it is just more confirmation bias, I can post aswell.

you are acting as if people are saying Eriksen is better than mod, when theyare not.

And again, where did I call anyone an idiot or moron.

I called an opinion moronic, but buddy I hate to tell it to you, so did you:)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Let me gets this straight.. I ask you to debate on a nice way even blink ;) to you... Because you said all so called expert always Comes out when there are big tournament.. then you didn Like the view on 1 topic about Eriksen... Where have i or others been disrespectful? :confused: :eek:
Check the other guy's post and how he acts throughout this thread. Getting your panties in a bunch every time you see something that doesn't fit your view and acting insulted is the epitome of a person who does not deserve to be taken seriously, not to mention that he flat out made up things and created narratives no one here started. I have no desire to continue this any further when the other party takes insult to anything that isn't praised. Denmark can win, and it wouldn't be a surprise if they do because football is a game in which the more talented team doesn't always win.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Check the other guy's post and how he acts throughout this thread. Getting your panties in a bunch every time you see something that doesn't fit your view and acting insulted is the epitome of a person who does not deserve to be taken seriously, not to mention that he flat out made up things and created narratives no one here started. I have no desire to continue this any further when the other party takes insult to anything that isn't praised. Denmark can win, and it wouldn't be a surprise if they do because football is a game in which the more talented team doesn't always win.
Holy f***ing hyperbole batman.

How about we look a little inwards aswell:popcorn:

This is a forum, things are debated, and again I hate to tell it to you, but you are no beacon of good forum behaviour yourself.

How bout we sweep infront of our own door before throwing such grand accusations at me.

Reactions: Hulide

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
So you reply
so you reply to me about Modric and Eriksen but dont want to debate it any futher Because you're quote "I have no time to discuss this with people who post nothing but hot takes and call other people morons and idiots because they don't share their outlandish view on the topic at hand" so you reply to me talking about another person? I ask you to debate earlyer on a very respectful way you're reply was: " The bolded below is already enough to prove your WORTH" :huh: :eek: so disagree in 1 topic and that shows my Worth? :rolleyes: ohhh well....

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
So you reply
so you reply to me about Modric and Eriksen but dont want to debate it any futher Because you're quote "I have no time to discuss this with people who post nothing but hot takes and call other people morons and idiots because they don't share their outlandish view on the topic at hand" so you reply to me talking about another person? I ask you to debate earlyer on a very respectful way you're reply was: " The bolded below is already enough to prove your WORTH" :huh: :eek: so disagree in 1 topic and that shows my Worth? :rolleyes: ohhh well....
The hypocracy is staggering..

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
But if you can make a midfield with Christensen(Chelsea) Delaney (Dortmund) Eriksen (Tottenham) then I hope you opponent takes you serious :rolleyes:

I've never seen Christensen play in midfield. But granted, I've seen zero Denmark games before the WC.
At Chelsea, and here in these 3 games, he's been used as CB.

Either way, to me, comparing Modric-Rakitic-Kovacic/Brozovic to Delaney-Kvist/Schone-Eriksen is silly.

Eriksen is a top player, but he is alone in that tier in the Denmark NT.
Croatia has multiple top tier players, and that's the difference.

Eriksen is a wonderful player. Who is best suited in a CAM role, where there're only a handful players that I would take over him (Isco, Coutinho, etc).
Comparing him to CMs like Modric, Rakitic, KDB, etc, is off-point.

Delaney though, is MILES away from that tier. And any comparison is a non-starter.

For Eriksen, with no comparison to anyone, to be considered a player on the level of those select few, he'll have to do what Modric did - leave the Spurs and win himself a key spot at a bigger club and go on to be key contributor in winning titles.
I don't think I'm being biased or anything of the sort in saying that. I quite like him as a player, but right now he's just one of the players on a club flirting with greatness, but never quite there - constantly failing in big games in the last 3 years. (the team not him)

Anyway, let's stop the silliness please.
I like Denmark, I cheered for them at EURO 92, Flemming Povlsen was my favorite player at the time.
I think your team is underrated and that there is quality there, and that they are deceptively good on offense (or have the ability to be).
I'll be watching the game clenched - but I will be disappointed if Croatia doesn't go through, this is probably the last chance to have both peak Modric AND peak Rakitic win something.

Reactions: maclean

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I've never seen Christensen play in midfield. But granted, I've seen zero Denmark games before the WC.

Either way, to me, comparing Modric-Rakitic-Kovacic/Brozovic to Delaney-Kvist/Schone-Eriksen is silly.

Eriksen is a wonderful player. Who is best suited in a CAM role, where there're only a handful players that I would take over him (Isco, Coutinho, etc).

Delaney though, is MILES away from that tier. And any comparison is a non-starter.

For Eriksen, with no comparison to anyone, to be considered a player on the level of those select few, he'll have to do what Modric did - leave the Spurs and win himself a key spot at a bigger club and go on to be key contributor in winning titles.
I don't think I'm being biased or anything of the sort in saying that. I quite like him as a player, but right now he's just one of the players on a club flirting with greatness, but never quite there - constantly failing in big games in the last 3 years.

I like Denmark, I cheered for them at EURO 92, Flemming Povlsen was my favorite player at the time.
I think your team is underrated and that there is quality there, and that they are deceptively good on offense (or have the ability to be).
I'll be watching the game clenched - but I will be disappointed if Croatia doesn't go through, this is probably the last chance to have both peak Modric AND peak Rakitic win something.
AC was used as DM against France, and will again against Cro.

Btw Eriksen failing in big games, is just a straight up lie...

The rest of your post is fair I guess, but imo some pf your midfielders are getting a little too much praise and a few of the Danish to little.

Kovacic for example, is not exactly a starter at Madrid.

Again, I cannot state this enough, Cro does have the better midfield, but I do not agree at the disparity some present.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
AC was used as DM against France, and will again against Cro.

Btw Eriksen failing in big games, is just a straight up lie...

I never said (or didn't mean) Eriksen was failing in big games, but the Spurs did.
There's a reason why they won exactly nothing since Poch got there, despite being very good and always "in it".

Fair enough about Chistensen, I gave up on watching the France-Denmark game after 25-30 mins and went outside with my kid, can't say I was paying much attention.
It. Was. Dreadful. (that game)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I never said (or didn't mean) Eriksen was failing in big games, but the Spurs did.
There's a reason why they won exactly nothing since Poch got there, despite being very good and always "in it".

Fair enough about Chistensen, I gave up on watching the France-Denmark game after 25-30 mins and went outside with my kid, can't say I was paying much attention.
It. Was. Dreadful. (that game)
Well that is were I disagree it makes him less of a player.

And yes, it was a truly dreadful almost painful game to watch.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Btw I also have always adored Croatia, as a team and a people.

I had a Croatia Davor Suker shirt as a kid that I wore till it tore.

The first thing I did when I moved to Europe and got a car, was go thru as much of Europe as possible in 3 months.

That incl. a 2 week drivethru of Croatia, which btw is f***ing gorgeous, and host to some awesome people:)

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Lmfao @ the bolded and ehhhhh @ the underlined. I'm not gonna even try to defend some of the statements made by Denmark homers here, but I think Eriksen is getting seriously underappreciated. Modric is the best midfielder in the world right now, and Eriksen is not there, but he's seriously top tier.

As to this game, Croatia 2-0. Denmark holds on for a long while, Kramaric breaks through in the 73rd, and then Perisic adds another in stoppage time as Denmark are throwing the kitchen sink.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Lmfao @ the bolded and ehhhhh @ the underlined. I'm not gonna even try to defend some of the statements made by Denmark homers here, but I think Eriksen is getting seriously underappreciated. Modric is the best midfielder in the world right now, and Eriksen is not there, but he's seriously top tier.

As to this game, Croatia 2-0. Denmark holds on for a long while, Kramaric breaks through in the 73rd, and then Perisic adds another in stoppage time as Denmark are throwing the kitchen sink.

Yeah, so homer, all Danish posters think Denmark will loose.

So homer they all agree thay Croatia is the better team, and has the better midfield, however not at the disparity some suggest.

Point out the homerism instead of commenting on how we are all homers.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Croatia win, maybe they can have another '98.

98. is unrepetable, that was team with so much patriotic pride and patriotic charge. And they had more success as a group together as majority of them won U21 as part of Yugoslavian team. Personally I dont want 1998. result to be broken by any future generation. 1998. and that team was something special. Real and true patriots unlike majority of guys in Russia which barely knows how to sing national anthem.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Yeah, so homer, all Danish posters think Denmark will loose.

So homer they all agree thay Croatia is the better team, and has the better midfield, however not at the disparity some suggest.

Point out the homerism instead of commenting on how we are all homers.

Dude, someone a few pages back said Eriksen was better than Modric and Rakitic only a slightly better Delaney. C'mon now.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Dude, someone a few pages back said Eriksen was better than Modric and Rakitic only a slightly better Delaney. C'mon now.
Nope 1 poster said he was getting better than Modric. Key ONE Poster.

And he did not use the word slightly better.

Btw Delaney is getting a little undersold here.

Someone from Croatia also said Denmark were Iceland level, does that make all the pro Croat posters biased, homers?

A poster even wrote Eriksen was a whole level below Raki. does that make all Cro posters homers?

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
98. is unrepetable, that was team with so much patriotic pride and patriotic charge. And they had more success as a group together as majority of them won U21 as part of Yugoslavian team. Personally I dont want 1998. result to be broken by any future generation. 1998. and that team was something special. Real and true patriots unlike majority of guys in Russia which barely knows how to sing national anthem.

I don't really know what you're talking about, to be honest.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017

I don't think I'm being biased or anything of the sort in saying that. I quite like him as a player, but right now he's just one of the players on a club flirting with greatness, but never quite there - constantly failing in big games in the last 3 years. (the team not him)

Is Modric not a CAM in Croatia? I know he is not in Madrid... I just thought he would be more offensive with Rakitic taken care of the CM part? Look at the poll all we Danes say and think Croatia will win... we just dont Like when you compare us with Iceland and taking us lightly ;) (we still love Iceland)... but Its like comparing Croatia with Bosnia or Montenegro.. trust me the media and people here in Denmark are not happy with the play in this World cup... our history with positive Football in the 80 and 90 With the Laudrup brothers, Arnesen, Elkjear, Simonsen,Schmeichel and so on... Croatia have better players on paper... Denmarks chance is the team Play with some magic from Eriksen. Christensen played midtfield earlyer in his short career with monchengladbach.. he can both play DCM and CB :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad