World Cup: R16: Croatia vs. Denmark, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Croatia should progress but this generation tends to choke in do or die matches (third group stage games with meaning or knockout games). Also, Denmark plays a style which doesn't suit Croatia usually

Though interesting both these teams finished 2nd place in their qualifying group behind the only two European teams eliminated so far (Iceland and Poland)

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Though interesting both these teams finished 2nd place in their qualifying group behind the only two European teams eliminated so far (Iceland and Poland)

That's true, but please remember Croatia had a TV repairman as their manager for 8 of the 10 games.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
3-2 Croatia
Will be an exciting game.
I highly doubt it. The only way this game is interesting is if we get an early goal or two and force Denmark to actually try to create something going forward leading to a more open brand of football. In reality, they will most likely give up the ball, we will have issues converting on chances we create sporadically, and a random goal will decide it like against Portugal in 2016, I just hope one of our guys plays the role of Quaresma this go around.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I highly doubt it. The only way this game is interesting is if we get an early goal or two and force Denmark to actually try to create something going forward leading to a more open brand of football. In reality, they will most likely give up the ball, we will have issues converting on chances we create sporadically, and a random goal will decide it like against Portugal in 2016, I just hope one of our guys plays the role of Quaresma this go around.

Agree.

Denmark will defend. They know they got decent set-piece delivery (even if Eriksen is often crap at corners) which could give them that one goal. They haven't got brilliant CA players, but maybe if Fischer plays instead of Sisto they can create something on the break.

Croatia will most likely control possession, but without going all out in attack.

For the neutrals I expect this to be almost as boring as the game against France. Even if Croatia scores early Denmark won't change their style all that much.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Only hope for Denmark is Croatia underestimating them.

By the looks of interviews from players, Fans and even the coach, they seem convinced Denmark will be beaten without too much hassle.

They also compare Denmark to the likes of Iceland in quality.

I think this wc has really had me hear it all.

Oh well, thats what you get for playing negative football Denmark, now the whole world is shaking theird heads at you..

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Croatia-Denmark Euro 1996 still gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

Croatia, and especially Suker, raped Denmark.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

By the looks of interviews from players, Fans and even the coach, they seem convinced Denmark will be beaten without too much hassle.

Oh, trust me, noone does that except parts of the media.

As Ivan said, smashing the group and then losing the next round to an opponent that looks ordinary on paper, in a hugely disappointing display... That's the Croatian way.

So, if anything, everyone is going to be watching the Denmark game fully clenched.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Denmark is just too poor to beat this Croatia team imo.
No, but they are however too badly coached.

This wc has made Denmark look really shite, and the cost of that, is now that Denmark are a piss poor team, with no skill, no good players.

In reality Denmark are not far of Croatia, but I can't fault anyone for thinking that after the last 3 games by Denmark.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Oh, trust me, noone does that except parts of the media.

As Ivan said, smashing the group and then losing the next round to an opponent that looks ordinary on paper, in a hugely disappointing display... That's the Croatian way.

So, if anything, everyone is going to be watching the Denmark game fully clenched.
They look ordinary on the field, not on paper. That to me, is exactly what I just wrote.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

They also compare Denmark to the likes of Iceland in quality.

I think this wc has really had me hear it all.

Oh well, thats what you get for playing negative football Denmark, now the whole world is shaking theird heads at you..

Not sure what you're on about, they think we are favorites, but that it will be a tough match. And Denmark is similar to Iceland, they play almost the same way, tight at the back, one high-quality player who is excellent at taking set pieces, good at set pieces in terms of aerial ability, not interested in controlling the ball, lack creation in midfield etc. You acting as if this is some great slight given how these two teams looked in the last 4-5 years is absolutely hilarious.

PS

Denmark is close to Croatia on paper? Where?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Not sure what you're on about, they think we are favorites, but that it will be a tough match. And Denmark is similar to Iceland, they play almost the same way, tight at the back, one high-quality player who is excellent at taking set pieces, good at set pieces in terms of aerial ability, not interested in controlling the ball, lack creation in midfield etc. You acting as if this is some great slight given how these two teams looked in the last 4-5 years is absolutely hilarious.
How many games have you watched Denmark?

I guess only the wc since that is not typical Danish, hence tje major dissapointment.

The material for better play is there.

In Danish media, there are a few quotes from your players, media and coach, those sound like Cro are already on.

Ps, the comment was that Iceland and Denmark were the same quality/level, not style of play.

And yes, that is a slight. Ps the last 4-5 years matter very little in football.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

PS

Denmark is close to Croatia on paper? Where?
Goal, CB and midfield :)

Your team finished behind Iceland in quali, lets not make Croatia out to be some super power.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
How many games have you watched Denmark?

I guess only the wc since that is not typical Danish, hence tje major dissapointment.

The material for better play is there.

In Danish media, there are a few quotes from your players, media and coach, those sound like Cro are already on.

Ps, the comment was that Iceland and Denmark were the same quality/level, not style of play.

Well, currently Iceland and Denmark are at the same level. And what quotes? There are absolutely none here in Croatia, Lovern was the one who said we are favorites and that is that. I mean he is right, but he also said it will be a tough match. The coach - who is down to earth guy - most certainly didn't say anything like that.

I don't see a whole lot of material for better play, sure they could play a more entertaining style of football, but that would likely translate to poorer results as the strength of this team is in playing calculated risk-free football. This team doesn't have a Modrić, or Rakitić, or Perišić etc. And I'd really like to hear who is this Danish team close to Croatia on paper.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well, currently Iceland and Denmark are at the same level. And what quotes? There are absolutely none here in Croatia, Lovern was the one who said we are favorites and that is that. I mean he is right, but he also said it will be a tough match. The coach - who is down to earth guy - most certainly didn't say anything like that.

I don't see a whole lot of material for better play, sure they could play a more entertaining style of football, but that would likely translate to poorer results as the strength of this team is in playing calculated risk-free football. This team doesn't have a Modrić, or Rakitić, or Perišić etc. And I'd really like to hear who is this Danish team close to Croatia on paper.
Lol ok buddy :)

I have no answer to such blatant ignorance..

I did answer:)

GK, CBs and midfield.

Actually the defense in general.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Goal, CB and midfield :)

Your team finished behind Iceland in quali, lets not make Croatia out to be some super power.

:laugh:

Yeah Denmark is close in quality in midfield with a team that has Modrić, Rakitić, Kovačić, Brozović, Badelj ...

We did finish behind Iceland, we were also coached by a blithering moron back then. Since Dalić came in we've won all but one competitive match, most of them in convincing fashion.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
:laugh:

Yeah Denmark is close in quality in midfield with a team that has Modrić, Rakitić, Kovačić, Brozović, Badelj ...

We did finish behind Iceland, we were also coached by a blithering moron back then. Since Dalić came in we've won all but one competitive match, most of them in convincing fashion.
And Denmark is coached by a guy who destroys play.

Denmark were in the middle of a generational change.

Denmark did not play like this untill the WC.

I only highly rate Modric as above Eriksen of that lot:)

AC is also playing DM now.

Btw, funny you skip the rest.

Denmark has not lost in 18 games, and a good few of the wins were big wins. From good play, Denmark has only conceded 1 goal the last 7 games, a penalty.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He's certainly not better than Rakitić. Only on HFB you can be called an ignoramus for saying Croatia has a far better midfield than Denmark, a midfield that features the best midfielder in the world, a guy who is irreplaceable at Barcelona, another Madrid player, and two other guys who played key roles in good Serie A teams. This has got to be one of the most outlandish posts and POVs I ever read here and that is saying something considering all the luminaries who post here.

As for D and GK. I'd like to know who here would take the Danish D rather than the Vrsaljko, Lovren, Vida, Strinić group. The only guy who is not an above average player there is Strinić. Vrsaljko is one of the better RBs in the world, Lovren just came off a season where he was fantastic, Vida is reliable as ever etc.

In goal, it's a toss-up. Subašić is really good, as is Schmeichel.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He's certainly not better than Rakitić. Only on HFB you can be called an ignoramus for saying Croatia has a far better midfield than Denmark, a midfield that features the best midfielder in the world, a guy who is irreplaceable at Barcelona, another Madrid player, and two other guys who played key roles in good Serie A teams. This has got to be one of the most outlandish posts and POVs I ever read here and that is saying something considering all the luminaries who post here.

As for D and GK. I'd like to know who here would take the Danish D rather than the Vrsaljko, Lovren, Vida, Strinić group. The only guy who is not an above average player there is Strinić. Vrsaljko is one of the better RBs in the world, Lovren just came off a season where he was fantastic, Vida is reliable as ever etc.

In goal, it's a toss-up. Subašić is really good, as is Schmeichel.
I called you ignorant for saying Denmark are the same level and quality as Iceland.

stop being hyperbolic.

btw, just look at barca forums, they all rate Eriksen higher than Raki.

I honestly cant argue with hyperbolic condescendence
Croatia modfild is better, just not head and shoulders. I dont care what team they are paid by.

Gravesen also pulled on the rm shirt at one point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad