World Cup: R16: Croatia vs. Denmark, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I called you ignorant for saying Denmark are the same level and quality as Iceland.

stop being hyperbolic.

btw, just look at barca forums, they all rate Eriksen higher than Raki.

Shows how much they know about football. And yeah, Denmark is the same quality as Iceland as a team.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Ok then mr all knowing football fan;)

Hope your team goes in with the same arrogant mindset:)

Yeah, I'm arrogant for saying Rakitić is better than Eriksen and for saying our midfield is on another level than yours. Absolutely love the narratives some people come up with. I'm not a know it all, there's plenty I don't know, but I know for sure I wouldn't pick Eriksen over Rakitić and that it is patently laughable and homerific beyond belief to put those two midfields anywhere in the same sentance as all here will attest to.

We'll see how the game goes, on paper we have the better team, or rather a more talented roster, but talent doesn't always prevail, especially in a one-off game of football.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yeah, I'm arrogant for saying Rakitić is better than Eriksen and for saying our midfield is on another level than yours. Absolutely love the narratives some people come up with. I'm not a know it all, there's plenty I don't know, but I know for sure I wouldn't pick Eriksen over Rakitić and that it is patently laughable and homerific beyond belief to put those two midfields anywhere in the same sentance as all here will attest to.

We'll see how the game goes, on paper we have the better team, or rather a more talented roster, but talent doesn't always prevail, especially in a one-off game of football.
You must have reading comprehensions.

Btw, if you find it so unfathomable that alot rate Eriksen higher or even just the same levelas Raki, we really need not continue this moot argument:)

btw, id take Barca forum fans word over hf. even most other football forums also have this opinion. I have rarely seen anyone rate Raki higher than Eriksen.

but you dont stop there, you put him in a whole other level.. jesus

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
btw, just look at barca forums, they all rate Eriksen higher than Raki.

I obviously don't follow Spanish-speaking Barca forums, but Rakitic was widely regarded as the best human Barca player this season.
I mean, even on their subreddit:
/r/barca man of the match stats

(season table is on the right)
Also, I watched 90% of Barca games last season, and he was fantastic, easily the best human on that team.

Not to mention Eriksen plays a completely different role, much better comparison would be Coutinho, not Rakitic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ivan13

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I obviously don't follow Spanish-speaking Barca forums, but Rakitic was widely regarded as the best human Barca player this season.

And Rakitic is in the best form of his life, playing like a top-3/top-5 midfielder, fantastic defensively, fantastic offensively.

Not to mention Eriksen plays a completely different role, much better comparison would be Coutinho, not Rakitic.
Yep, and the general feeling at barca is that they need better players.

Especially in midfield.

Most people I have seen talk about this subject rate Eriksen higher.

Look, I don't even have a problem with people rating Raki higher, it's not a big deal.

But this guy is saying Raki is far above Eriksen, and to suggest otherwise is silly.

That's just not true.

btw, Tottenham fans mostly agree that Eriksen is what makes Tottenham tick.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

Also, I watched 90% of Barca games last season, and he was fantastic, easily the best human on that team.

For sure they are different players, also why Eriksen would not fit in at Barca.

They need a DM like Dembele from Tottenham.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Yep, and the general feeling at barca is that they need better players.
They need an Iniesta-replacement, not a Rakitic replacement. And maybe start thinking about replacing Suarez.
Rakitic, in his current form, is a top-5 midfielder in his role.
Most people I have seen talk about this subject rate Eriksen higher.
I have no idea why anyone would even compare them. They play completely different roles.
But this guy is saying Raki is far above Eriksen, and to suggest otherwise is silly.
One is a guy who's been part of the Barca starting 11 for 4 years, 3 of them fantastic and one (2016/17) an up and down one, winning trophies, and being quietly integral to the team.
The other plays for Tottenham, in a completely different role, and for all the great football the Spurs have played over the last 3 seasons, they've won exactly nothing.
His opinion is hardly a hot take.

Eriksen is younger, and has room to grow, but right now, especially after this last season - I take Rakitic in a second, without ever thinking twice.
btw, Tottenham fans mostly agree that Eriksen is what makes Tottenham tick.
I agree with that. He's a fantastic player. I just don't think he's comparable to Rakitic considering their completely different roles- or if you're compare to what they bring to the team in their own roles, I still take Rakitic (easily).

As for the Croatia vs Denmark comparison.
Don't get me wrong, our mentality can still lose us this game EASILY.
But on paper? Saying the Danish midfield is somehow as good as the team which plays Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, Brozovic, etc... Yeah, no.

France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Croatia... In no particular order (in terms of midfield quality).
Denmark? Nah... They play their football their own way, might win them games or might not, but they're not a midfield juggernaut.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
They need an Iniesta-replacement, not a Rakitic replacement. And maybe start thinking about replacing Suarez.

I have no idea why anyone would even compare them.

One is a guy who's been part of the Barca starting 11 for 4 years, 3 of them fantastic and one (2016/17) an up and down one, winning trophies, and being quietly integral to the team.
The other plays for Tottenham, in a completely different role, and for all the great football the Spurs have played over the last 3 seasons, they've won exactly nothing.

Eriksen is younger, and has room to grow, but right now, especially after this last season - I take Rakitic in a second, without ever thinking twice.

I agree with that. He's a fantastic player. I just don't think he's comparable to Rakitic considering their completely different roles- or if you're compare to what they bring to the team in their own roles, I still take Rakitic (easily).

But on paper? Saying the Danish midfield is somehow as good as the team which plays Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, Brozovic, etc... Yeah, no.

France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Croatia... In no particular order (in terms of midfield quality).
Denmark? Nah... They play their football their own way, might win them games or might not, but they've not a midfield juggernaut.

I have no idea why anyone would even compare them. They play completely different roles.

Denmark? Nah... They play their football their own way, might win them games or might not, but they're not a midfield juggernaut.
Most of this to me is just blatant in your face bias.

So, I will refrain from answering most.

I can say tho, that I in no way said Denmarks midfield is better than Croatias, no way. That is clear to most.

All I said was a midfield of Delaney - Eriksen - Schone and Christensen as DM is not heaps and shoulders below the Croatian.

Its not like comparing the Croat midfield to Iceland, this is a usually very competent midfield.

I then said that I believe Denmark has the better goalkeeper.

And the better CB's making up for an overall even defence.

And in attack, Croatia are just much better.

Making Croatia the better overall team.

I dont see the big deal.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Most of this to me is just blatant in your face bias.

I don't get it, which part is this blatant bias?
That they play completely different roles?
That Rakitic plays for Barca and has been winning trophies and Eriksen plays for Spurs?
That France, Belgium, Germany, Spain and Croatia have (on paper) the best midfield line ups?

I really didn't go into any subjective things in my post, other that I would take Rakitic over Eriksen - especially considering their roles.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I don't get it, which part is this blatant bias?
That they play completely different roles?
That Rakitic plays for Barca and has been winning trophies and Eriksen plays for Spurs?
That France, Belgium, Germany, Spain and Croatia have (on paper) the best midfield line ups?

I really didn't go into any subjective things in my post, other that I would take Rakitic over Eriksen - especially considering their roles.
Yes, I think the criterias you list as to why you think Raki is heaps above Eriksen are Biased to say the least:)

Putting Denmark in the same basket as Iceland and completely diminishing them to miniput status, and neglecting the games they played pre wc, that were not based on negative football, and now saying Denmark have played like this thru quali, is biased.

I think Eriksen is much more important to his team than Raki to Barca.
Most stats also show Eriksen as superior.

I also believe Eriksen has less to work with, unlike Raki who has Cou, Messi, Dembele, Suarez and untill recently Iniesta to play with.

I believe the competetion and conditions for a midfielder is harder in the EPL, see I can also use biased reasons.

But like I said to your friend, this discussion is pretty moot.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Putting Denmark in the same basket as Iceland and completely diminishing them to miniput status, and neglecting the games they played pre wc, that were not based on negative football, and now saying Denmark have played like this thru quali, is biased.
Denmark obviously has more talent than Iceland, but through these 3 games they've shown very little going forward.
I think Eriksen is much more important to his team than Raki to Barca.
I don't necessarily disagree with that, Rakitic has Messi on his team, and Eriksen is the guy on Tottenham.
Yet it doesn't necessarily speak of the player quality either. Icardi is more important to Inter than almost any other striker to their own team, doesn't make him a better player than Cristiano, etc.
Most stats also show Eriksen as superior.
Which stats? How do you even compare a guy who spends his time between DM/CM and a guy who mostly plays AM and sometimes CM?
I believe the competetion and conditions for a midfielder is harder in the EPL, see I can also use biased reasons.
Yeah about that... PL is definitely better than La Liga, I mean just look at how it absolutely wrecks La Liga when it comes to european trophies.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Denmark obviously has more talent than Iceland, but through these 3 games they've shown very little going forward.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, Rakitic has Messi on his team, and Eriksen is the guy on Tottenham.
Yet it doesn't necessarily speak of the player quality either. Icardi is more important to Inter than almost any other striker to their own team, doesn't make him a better player than Cristiano, etc.

Which stats? How do you compare a guy who spends his time between DM/CM and a guy who mostly plays AM and sometimes CM?

Yeah about that... PL is definitely better than La Liga, I mean just look at how it absolutely wrecks La Liga when it comes to european trophies.
Like I said biased stats.

You are right, they are different players, and hard to compare, but I still rate Eriksen higher, just as you rate Raki higher.

Altho, I don't see Eriksen at another level, as you see Raki.

I did not say EPL had better top end teams than La Liga, nor was that my point.

But there is definitely more competition, physicality, and much better lower and mid table teams than in the La Liga.

Or at the very least, the distance from top to bottom is not as high in EPL as in La Liga.

Can we end this now? We are not getting anywhere.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Denmark got a solid team. Not sure how relevant these "on paper" exercises are. On paper Argentina are quite good.............

4 out of 5 times I think Croatia will struggle to break them down. Croatia won't get space like they did against Argentina. And even if Lovren looks a lot better now than earlier this year who knows.... a goal for Denmark and Croatia will struggle to score 2.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Shows how much they know about football. And yeah, Denmark is the same quality as Iceland as a team.
You cant compare Rakitic and Eriksen!! Different players.. different positions.. Eriksen is a younger version of Modric and is Better now.. Rakitic can be compared with Delaney just Better!! Croatia have a better midfield.. Denmark have a better defence down the middle. You cant compare Iceland with Denmark. Its Like compare Bosnia with Croatia.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Sounds like all that matters to the Croatian fans is how many major titles you have won... Let's hope that's true;)

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 5.50.14 PM.png

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I picked Denmark to go through. But mainly because of how crazy this WC has been and because I'm a Spain fan.
So I guess you would rather face Denmark then Croatia. I would to as Croatia midfield is just as good as Spain midfield. Denmark can certainly beat Croatia as they are difficult to break down and also have a star midfielder in Erickson. I would love to see a Spain vs Croatia game. Such class in midfield for both countries.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Denmark’s MF is not even close to Croatia. I would say I’m surprised by this debate, but this WC has brought a whole new level of takes here.

Reactions: maclean

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
So I guess you would rather face Denmark then Croatia. I would to as Croatia midfield is just as good as Spain midfield. Denmark can certainly beat Croatia as they are difficult to break down and also have a star midfielder in Erickson. I would love to see a Spain vs Croatia game. Such class in midfield for both countries.

Yes I'd prefer Denmark over Croatia just on the history and how strong Croatia has been this WC considering the outcome of the big teams. Doesn't mean that Denmark could end up beating Spain obviously could happen. But in theory should be the easier match.

Also yes perhaps Croatia's midfield might be just as good as Spain's as far as the chemistry they have and how tough they might be, but not on paper. I mean Modric is world class and Rakitic is great...but Spain has way more renown players bossing that midfield. Iniesta, Isco, Silva, Busquets.

Either way yeah no game will be easy in the knockout rounds specially in this WC. I truly have no clue who's taking this WC. No clear favorite.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I disagree with the prevailing notion that Denmark is difficult to breakdown. Peru and Australia got their fair share of chances against them and Peru especially was let down by their lack of finishing. France approached their game like a leisurely stroll in the park and when they brought on their big guns late on, they began to get at them as well. If Croatia maintains the level they performed at in the group stage, they will easily control the game and generate the majority of the scoring chances.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It's funny how some find it so utterly crazy that I wrote that Croatias midfield is not heaps and bounds above Denmarks.

People are so blinded by the teams that certain players play for. Even if one guy at Madrid is not exactly a regular.

I find more funny that no one found it biased that some Croats say that the Croatian team is much better on all positions.

NOT true, Danish goalkeeper is better and so are there CB's.

People are so struck by recency bias, as in the last 3 games.

Before the wc, Denmark played alot better and Croatia did not look special, and have not for some time, considering they are so so world class as some here make it seem.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
btw, if people don't understand how ignorant and blatantly stupid it is to sideline Denmark with Iceland I can't help you.

If that is the peak of HF football knowledge, im not going to waste more time on it.

To boot, it is also super disrespectful

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Sometimes the truth hurts.

If Iceland finished above Croatia in qualifying, I don't know why it's such an insult to be compared to them. Do you want to hear that Denmark and Croatia are on the same level too? All things considered I don't think it's a stretch to say and no one here is saying that Denmark can't win. The fact is that Croatia has more difference-makers on their team and this certainly gives them an edge on paper.

The idea that there is some kind of consensus that Eriksen is better than Rakitic is quite ridiculous though. You're entitled to your opinion, but don't act like everyone else here is being contrarian about it.

Fun fact, before this WC I did not realise Eriksen was from a place called Middelfart. Lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad