World Cup: R16: Croatia vs. Denmark, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
THE most ridiculous shootout was in 1986, Champions League final between Steaua Bucharest and Barcelona, în Seville. Check it out. The live memory of it gives me goosebumps even now.

A few years ago I watched a South American match, I think it may have been Copa Libertadores, that went to like 30 pens or something and ended 13-12 or some other insanity. It's a hazy memory, but I dont think its toppable as far as ridiculous shootouts go.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Major respect to Denmark, especially Schmeichel. They looked like the better team in the 2nd half.

Croatia didn't play their best and still won. Still backing them to get out of this bracket.

Modric and Schmeichel were the best players for their teams.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
THE most ridiculous shootout was in 1986, Champions League final between Steaua Bucharest and Barcelona, în Seville. Check it out. The live memory of it gives me goosebumps even now.
I remember seeing an African nations cup shootout that finshed 12-11 or something ridiculous like that, both goal keepers could'nt make a save, it ended when one gk's PK was stopped by the other:laugh:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Really? Denmark carried the play more today than Croatia did. Croatia has yet to play a good team IMO, they were my pick to win it all but now I'm not so sure.

How do you define a good team? Argentina doesn't count? They were considered a favourite. I'd say the group they came out of was the hardest one there was, could've seen any of those teams advancing.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Congrats to Croatia with the win.
A total 50-50% match until the very end. [Croatia dominating most a 1st half, Denmark getting much better in the 2nd, and in the extra time both teams was pretty much safety first].
Finally Denmark did show some will towards forward football, but I would really wish the Danish coach would have opened it more as in the second half they got a grip on the Croatian midfield. Kasper Schmeichel was not enough when you had Eriksen and Schöne miss - both are expert penalty takers normally.
Really disappointing overall performance of Eriksen, that was one of the worst Danish players on the team tonight.

If Denmark had gone to the quarterfinal if would have been memorable, now it will be mostly forgotten in 20 years since the Danish play never really got entertaining. What will be remembered is blowing a historic chance for the semi-finals as Russia is a team where Denmark clearly had a chance (we always lose to Spain when it matters).

Reactions: robertocarlos

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
I remember seeing an African nations cup shootout that finshed 12-11 or something ridiculous like that, both goal keepers could'nt make a save, it ended when one gk's PK was stopped by the other:laugh:

In 1986 the România goalkeeper stopped 4/4 and the Spanish one 2/4. Being the Champions League final (it had a different name back then) and Steaua being "my" team as a kid, naturally I have a vivid memory of it.

On the other hand, Romania losing to Sweden in PK in WC 1994 hurt like hell. We had an awesome team that could have gone all the way.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Aye, this tournament just might be the temporary death of possession football, teams are so good tactically that it's damn near impossible to score through long bouts of possession with passong. It's all about the counters now.

Still, the parking the buss tactic is still very frustrating specially for the neutral spectator. Boring as hell.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
While I have nothing against Denmark, I prefer to see if Croatia can rediscover their best form from here and I'm glad for Modric's sake that he's escaped having that penalty miss hanging over him for years.

Reactions: Rob

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
In 1986 the România goalkeeper stopped 4/4 and the Spanish one 2/4. Being the Champions League final (it had a different name back then) and Steaua being "my" team as a kid, naturally I have a vivid memory of it.

On the other hand, Romania losing to Sweden in PK in WC 1994 hurt like hell. We had an awesome team that could have gone all the way.

I remember Duckadam's saves that match [he saved good penalties, not weak ones] and had been a wall through the entire game. Still the best goalie performance I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Moose

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Croatia almost screwing up again. What is with this team? The entire outcome of the breakaway and Modric's penalty was choking of the highest order. I'm glad they still managed to pull through though.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
One other point- while Kaspar Schmeichel was brilliant his complaints about Kramaric's penalty were annoying.

Credit to Kramaric for his nerve - while it can't be said he deflated Schmeichel like Pirlo did to Hart in 2012 I think it was what Croatia needed to not only put them on the scoresheet but end the feeling that the occasion was turning into the Schmeichel show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad