World Cup: R16: Croatia vs. Denmark, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Watching the celebrations, Kovacic couldn't lift up his arm so I doubt he will be available for the next match

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Btw how is that not a red card on the on Rebic? Last man hacked Rebic down before he was about to put it in the net.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I don't mean any disrespect to our Danish posters here, this is a happy moment for Croatian fans, not a slight to Danes, who played a great game, so don't take it the wrong way:

There is only one ticket for Ceca's concert left, who picks it first....

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Schmeichel being a bit of a sore loser here. Just read a transcript of his post-game interview where he says the referee really wanted to give Croatia that penalty in overtime.:rolleyes:

Great keeper but a bit of a dick.
He was having a go as well after one of the Croatian players did the whole stutter step thing before hitting the penalty. Like a goalkeeper who consistently is about 3 feet off the line during penalties should ask for an ultra-tight application of the rules in a shootout...

When the Aussie’s had the PK against him, he was yelling at the taker “c’mon c’mon!” It was hilarious.

He can complain all he wants. He’s going home.

At the end of the day, he’s a f***ing solid keeper. Would love him on my club.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I'm happy Croatia was able to squeak by because I don't expect them to play this poorly again. I think they should be in the final, unless they manage to lose to England.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I don't mean any disrespect to our Danish posters here, this is a happy moment for Croatian fans, not a slight to Danes, who played a great game, so don't take it the wrong way:

giphy.gif

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Wow so everyone got to shoot twice.
Yeah in children and amateur sports the program can be pretty intense with no time to take a breather.
I once played 8 lacrosse matches in two days [for my own Copenhagen team and a Gothenburg team with so many injured they had to be filled up with volunteers from other teams to be 10]. My own team was down from 17 to 10 men the last day because of injuries, so no substitutes for the last 4 matches I played]. Neither team were close to winning off course.
3 times since it's 7 vs 7 at their age.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
He was having a go as well after one of the Croatian players did the whole stutter step thing before hitting the penalty. Like a goalkeeper who consistently is about 3 feet off the line during penalties should ask for an ultra-tight application of the rules in a shootout...

They showed the replay and his movement remained fluid, but the guy seems to have a bit of an entitlement problem, possibly from growing up as a dynasty player. Doesn't take away from him being a great keeper though, definitely in the running for the team's best player that game

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Well there are good winners and bad winners ;) congrats to all of you:thumbu:
Best of luck to Hrvaska..
So let me get this straight, are you implying I'm a bad winner because I think it is ridiculous to hate a guy for missing a penalty?

This win feels even better in the morning reading statements from Danish players.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Btw how is that not a red card on the on Rebic? Last man hacked Rebic down before he was about to put it in the net.

I had posted this a couple pages back:

Btw regarding yellow card/red card. Here’s the relevant section of the laws of the game:

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I think this win will galvanize the Croatian team as they got that big hex off there back. Really felt good for Modric who put an unbelievable ball to Rebic which lead to a pk which he took very poorly. Took real nerves to step up and take another pk and slot it in the net.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I bet the game was a nailbiter for Croatian and Danish fans, but for neutral fans it was pure agony watching this. It was boring as f***, nothing happened. I can't decide if this game or Spain - Russia was more boring, where nothing happened as well. Both goalies were good, but more than most, most of those penalties were garbage.

If the games today are as boring as these two were... oh boy.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I bet the game was a nailbiter for Croatian and Danish fans, but for neutral fans it was pure agony watching this. It was boring as ****, nothing happened. I can't decide if this game or Spain - Russia was more boring, where nothing happened as well. Both goalies were good, but more than most, most of those penalties were garbage.

If the games today are as boring as these two were... oh boy.
I think Croatia vs Spain would have been a good game as both countries want to play attacking football. Both the Russians and Danes play organized physical football. Danes were really giving Croatia all kinds of problems with long balls and throw ins as they were winning most of the duels.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Spoken like someone who hasn't taken a penalty in his life.

"This boat looks awkward. It's listing heavily".
"Spoken like someone who never has built a boat in his life."

"This house looks awkward. The roof is obviously not holding the rain out".
"Spoken like someone who never has built a house in his life."

"This ski-jump looked like it was done by a scared monkey".
"Spoken like someone who never has jumped a ski-jump in his life."

And so on. And so on.

Those penalties were awful. Just shoot the ball down, hard, somewhat close to the post. This is supposed to be professional players.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

Hey man..

Despite all the bickering between Denmark and Croatia fans, I fully support your team to go all the way - They are a very talented and likeable bunch!

Btw, the wife and I, just booked a 10 day stay in Makarska, and the stay overlaps the final.
Would be hella fun if it incl. Croatia.

Good luck Croatia!

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Great keeper but a bit of a dick.

When the Aussie’s had the PK against him, he was yelling at the taker “c’mon c’mon!” It was hilarious.

He can complain all he wants. He’s going home.

At the end of the day, he’s a ****ing solid keeper. Would love him on my club.
Don't take offense to it, his dad was the same, a huge chirper.:laugh:

But he does come off as arrogant at times, even in the Danish press, I guess that is a reflection of him growing up as the son of a legend, who himself could also be a bit arrogant - I think this is important for a goalie tho, all the good ones do seem a bit entitled/arrogant.

Btw, no Danes bar Schmeichel have said anything. Eriksen feels like shit, and keeps seeing his miss everytime he closes his eyes, or so he said.

So a certain poster should maybe stop seeing demons everywhere and just enjoy the win - Win with grace you know.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Those penalties were awful. Just shoot the ball down, hard, somewhat close to the post. This is supposed to be professional players.

In youth football, I used to take penalties for my team. It was, at the time, a club in the highest division of Croatian youth football, aged 14, 15 and 16.
I was tall and played CB, I always took a run at the ball from a mile and the goalkeeper assumed I'd kick it high somewhere and I always just put it low right in the corner, always worked, goalkeepers barely moved.

Until one time the penalty was for our tournament life in at a youth tournament. A small, insignificant tournament, but it seemed massive to us.
All of a sudden the goalkeeper looked 2.5m tall and the goal looked like it was a handball goal.
And that one time, I didn't take the penalty like I always did, it was just different, your mind plays tricks on you (I still scored, the ball sort of went through the goalkeeper, I just shot it without even aiming).

Also, in youth football, low and in the corner works - at WC level, if the goalkeeper guesses, you're toast.
The only sure way to score is to blast it high - but the risk in shooting is twice as big then.

Now amplify that pressure by about a million. Or billion.
Take into account the opposing goalkeeper doing his antics to throw you off further.

Penalty shootouts are hard, man. The pressure is off the charts and it's ALL on the shooter.

There are teams that perform better (watch the Holland-Brazil 1998 shootout to see 5 perfect penalties by the Brazilians), but as a rule, most players are under such pressure that scoring that penalty is no mean feat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->