World Cup: R16: Croatia vs. Denmark, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Croatia almost screwing up again. What is with this team? The entire outcome of the breakaway and Modric's penalty was choking of the highest order. I'm glad they still managed to pull through though.

By the breakaway I assume you mean the move that led to the penalty. Unless my eyes deceive me there was nothing wrong in what Rebic did - as he drew back his foot to put the ball into the empty net the defender caught him.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
A few years ago I watched a South American match, I think it may have been Copa Libertadores, that went to like 30 pens or something and ended 13-12 or some other insanity. It's a hazy memory, but I dont think its toppable as far as ridiculous shootouts go.

Not quite 30, but 26 penalties:
The Royal League Final 2005 between Copenhagen and Gothenburg was close. 13 shooters on each side (5 misses in all) and Copenhagen won 11-10.
It was entertaining as even the goalkeepers had to shoot when you reached the 11th shot (and they both scored on each other).
Source: 2005 Royal League Final - Wikipedia

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Felt sorry for Kasper Schmeichel He's had a fantastic tournament and made some great saves tonight

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
By the breakaway I assume you mean the move that led to the penalty. Unless my eyes deceive me there was nothing wrong in what Rebic did - as he drew back his foot to put the ball into the empty net the defender caught him.

Looked like he took too long for me, too many extra steps after he rounded the keeper.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The Royal League Final 2005 between Copenhagen and Gothenburg was close. 13 shooters on each side (5 misses in all) and Copenhagen won 11-10.
It was entertaining as even the goalkeepers had to shoot when you reached the 11th shot (and they both scored on each other).
For those who don't know I work at a school specialized in football.
First time we had a female squad, it qualified for the french final tournament (with the best schools in the country).
Our team reached the semis and game ended 1-1.
Semi final was to be played on friday morning (9:00), third place game at 12:00 and the final at 14:00.
When our girls finished their penalty session, it was 13:00. They lost 23-22 in the shootout. They were crying during their 3rd place game and couldn't breathe more than 20 minutes between the games. :shakehead
No need to say the winning team couldn't challenge much for the title either.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
For those who don't know I work at a school specialized in football.
First time we had a female squad, it qualified for the french final tournament (with the best schools in the country).
Our team reached the semis and game ended 1-1.
Semi final was to be played on friday morning (9:00), third place game at 12:00 and the final at 14:00.
When our girls finished their penalty session, it was 13:00. They lost 23-22 in the shootout. They were crying during their 3rd place game and couldn't breathe more than 20 minutes between the games. :shakehead
No need to say the winning team couldn't challenge much for the title either.

Wow so everyone got to shoot twice.
Yeah in children and amateur sports the program can be pretty intense with no time to take a breather.
I once played 8 lacrosse matches in two days [for my own Copenhagen team and a Gothenburg team with so many injured they had to be filled up with volunteers from other teams to be 10]. My own team was down from 17 to 10 men the last day because of injuries, so no substitutes for the last 4 matches I played]. Neither team were close to winning off course.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Credit to Kramaric for his nerve - while it can't be said he deflated Schmeichel like Pirlo did to Hart in 2012 I think it was what Croatia needed to not only put them on the scoresheet but end the feeling that the occasion was turning into the Schmeichel show.

Kramaric takes pens for Hoffenheim and usually does great, buuuut....

The last "big" pen he took was at 0-0 in the 1st leg of CL qualifiers vs Liverpool, and he threw a big massive scared stinker.

So glad for him, and definitely agree with you, think they needed that to see that Schmeichel was beatable.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Also, high press does not work if every time you try to press Schmeichel or Kjaer punts the ball forward and Poulsen win the ball every single time.
He was immense and by constantly winning the ball (not even heading, he literally won it and controlled almost every time) he made the whole high press that Dalic likes to use completely useless.

For me, aside from the goalkeepers, Poulsen and Rebic were the best players of the team.
Very happy for Modric, he had the guts to take another pen in the shootout, glad he scored for him, personally.

Also, I know the rule is that there is no red card if the last man is playing the ball - but the foul on Rebic was a red card all day every day, never near the ball, never intending to even get to it.

And happy for Subasic, he's not had it easy at Monaco seeing that wonderful side from a year ago basically gone.
Tough season, but he's still quality (though the Denmark goal was a softie).

Last edited:
Reactions: Stray Wasp

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Also, high press does not work if every time you try to press Schmeichel or Kjaer punts the ball forward and Poulsen win the ball every single time.
He was immense and by constantly winning the ball (not even heading, he literally won it and controlled almost every time) he made the whole high press that Dalic likes to use completely useless.

For me, aside from the goalkeepers, Poulsen and Rebic were the best players of the team.
Very happy for Modric, he had the guts to take another pen in the shootout, glad he scored for him, personally.

Also, I know the rule is that there is no red card if the last man is playing the ball - but the foul on Rebic was a red card all day every day, never near the ball, never intending to even get to it.

Russia can do the same with long balls to Dzyuba and the Russians will certainly notice that the Danish team had success in negating the Croatian press.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

I actually misremembered, it was Newell's Old Boys against Boca Juniors and it ended 10-9 after 26 penalties.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Russia can do the same with long balls to Dzyuba and the Russians will certainly notice that the Danish team had success in negating the Croatian press.

Dzyuba is likely to be up against Lovren though, I'm fine with that.
Denmark specifically targeted Poulsen, wide right, and he was up vs Strinic/Pivaric (left backs) every time, completely bossing it.
The problem with that is Poulsen also had pace and does decent on the dribble, he was a handful - and yes, the dude basically ruined the high press all on his own.

Also, throw in that imitate corners are awful to deal with. :P

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
This generation was 5 minutes away from being labeled complete choke artists from 2008-present in these knockout games. The most unexpected way for any Croatian team to win, had flashbacks more to 2008 than 2016 where they simply didn't play. How the hell is Pivaric taking a penalty too ffs?

First time I've seen a Croatian NT/club win a penalty shootout since Hajduk in the early 2000s

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Dzyuba is likely to be up against Lovren though, I'm fine with that.
Denmark specifically targeted Poulsen, wide right, and he was up vs Strinic/Pivaric (left backs) every time, completely bossing it.
The problem with that is Poulsen also had pace and does decent on the dribble, he was a handful - and yes, the dude basically ruined the high press all on his own.

Also, throw in that imitate corners are awful to deal with. :P

Correct Dzyuba is not as fast as Poulsen, but good at holding the ball and passing it to the next line of attack. So it will be a task to isolate his passing options.
I think that throw in ability was the big reason Jonas Knudsen was in the squad - he didn't play any match before in the WC before Croatia. So Hareide's secret weapons for the playoffs.....[it was only his 4th NT match].

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
This generation was 5 minutes away from being labeled complete choke artists from 2008-present in these knockout games. The most unexpected way for any Croatian team to win, had flashbacks more to 2008 than 2016 where they simply didn't play. How the hell is Pivaric taking a penalty too ffs?

First time I've seen a Croatian NT/club win a penalty shootout since Hajduk in the early 2000s
Pivaric apparently scored a couple of good ones at practice, as did Miki, and he did take a good shot today.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Nicolai Jorgensen is now the most hated man in Denmark! Congratulation Croatia..

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Correct Dzyuba is not as fast as Poulsen, but good at holding the ball and passing it to the next line of attack. So it will be a task to isolate his passing options.
I think that throw in ability was the big reason Jonas Knudsen was in the squad - he didn't play any match before in the WC before Croatia. So Hareide's secret weapons for the playoffs.....[it was only his 4th NT match].
Russia doesn't have a goalie who is as good as Schmeichel with ball in his feet, and like Corto said, it's one thing to go against Strinic, and completely different to go at Lovren.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Why the **** would you hate the guy? And what about Eriksen or the other one who missed? Double standards much?
Im just telling you how it is now here :laugh: all media and people are after Jorgensen because he had a disaster tournament.. the media agrees with Eriksen beeing poor.. But he was the reason we where at the World Cup.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Schmeichel being a bit of a sore loser here. Just read a transcript of his post-game interview where he says the referee really wanted to give Croatia that penalty in overtime.:rolleyes:

He was having a go as well after one of the Croatian players did the whole stutter step thing before hitting the penalty. Like a goalkeeper who consistently is about 3 feet off the line during penalties should ask for an ultra-tight application of the rules in a shootout...

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad