World Cup: R16: Colombia vs. England, 7/3/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Hated everything about Colombia’s extracurricular activities this game. Glad they lost.

I think this was just a perfect storm.

Colombia didn’t play this uncomposed in group stage or 2014.

Probably wouldn’t have done this against Sweden.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Colombia was obviously disgraceful with their antics, but it's not like England were saints either. Blatant dive by Maguire in the box, Trippier had a bad dive as well and then smiled like a *****e at the Colombian player.

Not wrong. I just hate the mob mentality that Colombia has, mobbing the refs and players is extra obnoxious to me.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I'm not much of a fan, except for the World Cup, but outcomes like this make me feel cheated. What do you real fans think?
Considering how crap these two teams were, penalties puts us all out of our collective misery.

I might be wrong here but I think England last three goals in this World cup have been penalty kicks.

England vs Sweden will be dreadful.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Colombia was obviously disgraceful with their antics, but it's not like England were saints either. Blatant dive by Maguire in the box, Trippier had a bad dive as well and then smiled like a *****e at the Colombian player.

Just a perfect storm wth Geiger. Colombia’s antics were nowhere like this in group play. And they probably would have been on their best behaviour against Sweden had they won

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

England’s continuing mission: to boldly go where no England team has gone before in penalties.

Mission accomplished.

The 2018 World Cup: the Final frontier

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Well the England dream lives on....the hope in the homeland get more intense and hearts are starting to feel as though this could be the year......But then they realize its England and heart break is likely coming

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
They are. But the mobbing mentality bugs me much more than that.

I used to watch quite a bit of Brazilian league football and South American Cup competitions..it's just the culture there. It was pretty common for the ref having to be protected by military police at HT and FT, and angry confrontations between groups of players were common occurrences as well. In those cultures, you feel passion can be incited pretty easily over slights, real and imagined, perceived injustices etc. and then it gets ugly pretty quickly.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I used to watch quite a bit of Brazilian league football and South American Cup competitions..it's just the culture there. It was pretty common for the ref having to be protected by military police at HT and FT, and angry confrontations between groups of players were common occurrences as well. In those cultures, you feel passion can be incited pretty easily over slights, real and imagined, perceived injustices etc. and then it gets ugly pretty quickly.

Poor people with nothing better to do and nothing else to live for.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
These things moves in cycles. Spain might actually look rather average soon after having been so good for so many years.

England might be underperforming, but they are always at a handicap against France, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Brazil etc. as a combination of population and weather (even if weather is probably less of an issue with more and more astroturfs around). England will never be consistently good like the Germans and Brazilians. But you do expect more "generations" like Belgium right now. Or like the Netherlands always seem to have at regular intervals etc.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Considering how crap these two teams were, penalties puts us all out of our collective misery.

I might be wrong here but I think England last three goals in this World cup have been penalty kicks.

England vs Sweden will be dreadful.

Absolutely. What dreck. I can't imagine how stagnant the run of play will be in that one. Both teams playing for pk's or set pieces and doing very little else.

England oddly appear to exist for set pieces now.

What a dismal game through and through this was.

But at least Columbia showed some talent on the ball at times when they were behind.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Basically just don't give up a pen against Kane and you effectively stop much of the English scoring threat

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The nice thing about deciding on PKs is that there is a skill element...it's only 80% rock, paper scissors

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
The Colombians kicking into the penalty spot whilst arguing before Kanes penalty. Absolutely beyond reproach those guys.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
The Colombians kicking into the penalty spot whilst arguing before Kanes penalty. Absolutely beyond reproach those guys.

I'm surprised the ref allowed it to go on for as long as he did, no control whatsoever. One quick yellow there would have ended most of that. Seriously hope he isn't allowed to ref anymore this tournament, CONCACAF refs are always s---.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad