World Cup: R16: Colombia vs. England, 7/3/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I saw someone in the main World Cup thread suggest that this placement assures England of making the final. As if Spain and Croatia don’t exist. Lol.
Sometimes I wonder about staying away from the soccer forums until after the tournament is over least anyway.

As of right now, Pekerman is saying he’s very concerned about James fitness. Obviously would be a huge blow to Colombia if he can’t go.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think Colombia can win without Rodriguez. I actually expect them to. Their CM's aren't mega spectacular but they have good players at every position, players who are more technical than England's. They also have more experience playing together.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I also think Colombia will be formidable for England, and that they would be also had Belgium placed here.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It could be argued, that aside from tournaments held at home, England have never, ever beaten a team better than this Colombia team in a knockout game in the entire history of international tournament football. A couple of comparable teams, yes, but not one clearly better. Here’s the list of teams England have beaten in a knockout away from home.

• 3-0 v Paraguay, 1986 World Cup
  • 1-0 v Belgium AET, 1990 World Cup
  • 3-2 v Cameroon AET, 1990 World Cup
  • 3-0 v Denmark, 2002 World Cup
  • 1-0 v Ecuador, 2006 World Cup
That’s it. Belgium in 1990 was decent, but far from an A level national side.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
England wins IMO. Either way you’ll have one of England / Colombia / Sweden / Switzerland in the semifinal game

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The underlying narrative that England did well to lose to Belgium makes me think they will lose against Colombia.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
After watching Colombia vs Senegal, I can't see England failing here.

I would like Colombia to go through just because the English media already talks about the semi... but I very much doubt it happens.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It could be argued, that aside from tournaments held at home, England have never, ever beaten a team better than this Colombia team in a knockout game in the entire history of international tournament football. A couple of comparable teams, yes, but not one clearly better. Here’s the list of teams England have beaten in a knockout away from home.

• 3-0 v Paraguay, 1986 World Cup
  • 1-0 v Belgium AET, 1990 World Cup
  • 3-2 v Cameroon AET, 1990 World Cup
  • 3-0 v Denmark, 2002 World Cup
  • 1-0 v Ecuador, 2006 World Cup
That’s it. Belgium in 1990 was decent, but far from an A level national side.

Thanks for posting, I was wondering about this yesterday as I listened with amusement to the sentiment that England has their path to the semi final paved with gold. I've been watching since WC 98, and I can only ever remember England beating relatively weak teams in the knockout phase, always losing to stronger ones. If I'm Colombia, Sweden, or Switzerland, I think I'm just as excited about my chances as England ought to be.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
Most media outlets in the UK and abroad have been praising England for losing to Belgium and getting the easier bracket.

Looks like the stage is fully set now for it to backfire spectacularly.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Shame James got injured. James and Quintero are so fun together. Why in the hell don't Porto give Quintero another shot? he's incredible. Hope Colombia pulls an upset, but with James injury, I'm not very confident.

thehangover

May 2, 2011
I would love for Sweden to send home England in the quarters. Don't know which is the prefereable matchup though

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
England should beat Colombia, and whoever wins Sweden/ Switzerland, but at the same time it is England so really any outcome can be expected. My prediction is England beats Colombia 3-1, then goes on to beat Sweden 2-0 which gets everyone in England's hopes up. Against Spain they go up early, and hold the lead at halftime. The hopes go up for fans dramatically. Every moment seems like it will never end. Spain will tie the game after the 90' then go on to beat England in penalties, breaking everyone's heart like always. Anyway I would be happy if they just made the quarterfinal like I expected before the World Cup started.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Shame James got injured. James and Quintero are so fun together. Why in the hell don't Porto give Quintero another shot? he's incredible. Hope Colombia pulls an upset, but with James injury, I'm not very confident.

Upset? I'm fully expecting England to crash here and by crash I mean get exposed as pretenders they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->