World Cup: R16: Colombia vs. England, 7/3/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
How can a rich nation, that holds the sport in such high regard, that pours so much resources into it, with the population they have, be so utmost mediocre at it?

Sweden - England will be a coin toss. England doesn't impress me, at all.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Overall, this wasn't a great match by either team. Not sure if it's just nerves or both sides have no proper shape. But it doesn't matter because it's all open now for England.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Ospina gotta be kicking himself. Guessed right but didn't go hard enough.
He was trying to react to the penalties rather than guessing. That last penalty was nowhere near the corner, but Ospina wasn't sure what way he was going and by the time he reacts it was too late.

The only one he got a good dive on was the one he saved, because Henderson telegraphed where he was going.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
The penalties were all pretty good bar the Bacca one. It's getting easier to stop them because nobody will put the ball up in the air.

High corner. If you have no problems getting the ball there in 99% of the times it's a goal. No goalie can reach that angle on a penalty shot, yet not many players do this.

My wild guess is that it's truly a matter of nerves. Once your mind starts getting into the "oh god, that's a small goal, and the goalie is huge!!" frame you'll just try to get it to the other side of the line.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
High corner. If you have no problems getting the ball there in 99% of the times it's a goal. No goalie can reach that angle on a penalty shot, yet not many players do this.

My wild guess is that it's truly a matter of nerves. Once your mind starts getting into the "oh god, that's a small goal, and the goalie is huge!!" frame you'll just try to get it to the other side of the line.

The post shot is why nobody will do it. The margin of error is so small. I thought that was a great penalty take but it didn't bounce the right way.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
The post shot is why nobody will do it. The margin of error is so small. I thought that was a great penalty take but it didn't bounce the right way.

Right, it's easy for us to say "yeah, high corner is where it's at" when we are shooting with our mates, no pressure. But that stage is just different.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Breaking through that barrier that was penalties.... well, we saw how much beating the Penguins was a watershed moment for the Washington Capitals.

Could this be their slay the dragon moment?

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Dramatic, yes, but nowhere near as dramatic as a winning golden goal would have been.

I don't care if they've played 6 hours, and all but the goalkeepers are rolling around on the pitch cramping. Games like this should not be won on PKs.

I'm not much of a fan, except for the World Cup, but outcomes like this make me feel cheated. What do you real fans think?

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dramatic, yes, but nowhere near as dramatic as a winning golden goal would have been.

I don't care if they've played 6 hours, and all but the goalkeepers are rolling around on the pitch cramping. Games like this should not be won on PKs.

I'm not much of a fan, except for the World Cup, and outcomes like this make me feel cheated. What do you real fans think?

It’s a part of football.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Henderson's wasn't a terrible penalty, but it wasn't good either. You either have to have it basically on the ground, or about 3 feet higher than it was. He put it at the perfect height for a keeper to get to.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't think anyone saw Colombia missing two pens in a row.

Just buckled right over and that was it. :help:

Nice to see England slay their PK demon, though! Onwards!

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
How can a rich nation, that holds the sport in such high regard, that pours so much resources into it, with the population they have, be so utmost mediocre at it?

It's way too soon to say that about England. Their next generation is extremely talented.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Right, it's easy for us to say "yeah, high corner is where it's at" when we are shooting with our mates, no pressure. But that stage is just different.

It's nerves, yeah, but it's also not rocket science. Elevation is where it's at and if you don't lose your nerve it's perfectly doable. Euro 96 semifinal PK was a great example of how powerless goalkeepers are when players can elevate them with any semblance of precision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->