World Cup: R16: Colombia vs. England, 7/3/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Not a beautiful game but I'm proud of these guys for getting through.

Sweden will be very tough to break down.. very tough.

Everything is still possible.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Kane looked bagged by the end of that match.

Wondering how much he has left in the tank.

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
As much as I want to see England fail I am glad it wasn't against this cheap dirty team. The endless crying and excuses from English fans and pundits would have been so insufferable it would be an even worse outcome than England actually winning the World Cup

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Glad Kane scored the penalty after seeing them trying scuff it up and time waste beyond belief. Went mental in the pub, good lord.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Football has changed alot since I was a kid. It used to be great. Now football is a suitcase with money, hookers and cocaine. And the fans are paying for it.

The day Roman Abramovich bought Chelsea was the beginning of the end of football for me, it led to a complete downward spiral with them buying the league and then later Manchester City buying the league, and the ridiculous increase in player and manager turnover became impossible to keep track of.

The last game I remember actually enjoying watching was the 2005 Champions League final. By 2007 I had stopped going out of my way to pay attention to the game completely, I've only watched the odd World Cup or Euros game since then.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Pathetic from Colombia. Their performance against Poland was one of the highlights of this tournament but it seems that it was a fluke. They were crap against Senegal and worst today.

Looks like James's injuries did them in.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Otherwise forgettable match (at least for anything good), but to see the rarity of England winning on PKs.

I think we've seen everything they have to offer though and there's no extra gear left. Of course with other poor teams (Sweden, Russia) still left and Croatia isn't unbeatable either, they can reach the final, but whoever comes from that side would be huge favourites.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Their starting lineup today was full of players who have 1-2 more WCs in them.

Really the only guys you won't expect to be around long term are Young, Henderson, and Walker.

The one following is also probably better. The clubs have been dumping massive resources into their academies so it is inevitable.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I've done a full 180 regarding Southgate in just a few months. I can see him staying for a long time.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Winning a shootout, damn, I was 15 the last time we did that o_O

Sweden aren't as good as Colombia (though also not quite as whiny either I think), so it's winnable which is all we can ask for.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
England should beat Sweden, and they need to. I'm not an England supporter but I think it would be really cool to see them in at least he semi finals.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I couldn't watch ET + penalties because I was so livid at England, I just ended up seeing the highlights. I'm glad they're through but they really need to get rid of this Southgate muppet cos he holds this team back and if they win against Sweden, they'll keep him sadly. I do like that he gets the team to play with some pace but the gameplan seems too reliant on Harry Kane and too risky defensively at the same time. I do like that he doesn't have a strict tactical approach with a bad tactic like previous managers had but players are not playing in the right position at times

The worse example of that is probably using Sterling in the middle especially against these big centre-backs...WTF!? Should've had Vardy from the beginning as the second striker and had Sterling in Young's position on the wing, Vardy can at least hold the ball up and doesn't have a shitty first touch and bad decision making in the middle like Sterling did. Sterling was only useful on the counter attack and even then....

I also thought bringing Dier on instead of Loftus-Cheek was a bad idea but that's forgivable. They do need to have L-C on against a better team though, can't use both Lingaard + Alli.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Look at this picture and tell me you yobs are happy with this result.

7gYZZSCT_o.jpg

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Dier is in horrible form, but don’t think it is that strange that he comes on at 1-0. Of course Colombia scored on a set piece anyway, but Dier is better in the air than RLC.

Sterling as a left wingback would most likely be a huge problem. So can’t be too angry at GS for that one. He is very active off the ball creating space for others as a forward. Not a bad option next to Kane who can handle the target man bit anyway.

It seems like some English fans think Colombia are easy to break down. They really are not. With James they could very well have won this WC.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Winning a shootout, damn, I was 15 the last time we did that o_O

Sweden aren't as good as Colombia (though also not quite as whiny either I think), so it's winnable which is all we can ask for.

I actually think Sweden is a better team than Columbia. They play a horrible brand of football and are really wasteful, but they are hard to break through, incredibly compact and capable of creating chances.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What are Sweden better at than Colombia?

Colombia are brilliant defensively with some bite going forward (not much though - at least not without James).

Sweden are rock solid defending deeply. Forsberg is good, but the rest of the attackers are just big lumps working hard. Perfect for England match up for England.

Not saying it is a given England will win. Could very well end up with a frustrated English team that give away that one CA or set piece. But I don’t see how Sweden are better (really hope Sweden win of course but that is another matter).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->