Prospect Info: Quinton Byfield (2nd Overall 2020 Draft) Discussion part II

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Who cares about the WJC. Makes no sense to have him miss out on NHL games and NHL experience to go play in a tournament that means nothing to his development. How many #2 OA picks have played in the WJC as a 19 year old?

The Kings need him to be knocking on Kopitar's door by the end of next season, the best way to do that is NHL games and NHL icetime. Not competing against a bunch of teenagers, most of whom won't play in the league.

I think there are merits. For two weeks, would you rather have Byfield get middle-six duties in the NHL or top line minutes in the WJC? I think I'm with you and would rather have the NHL time, but I think a good argument can be made for the WJC.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think there are merits. For two weeks, would you rather have Byfield get middle-six duties in the NHL or top line minutes in the WJC? I think I'm with you and would rather have the NHL time, but I think a good argument can be made for the WJC.

Middle six time in the NHL, not even close.

He has nothing to gain as a 19 year old #2 OA competing against teenagers from Austria and Germany, even the Czechs don't produce players like they used to. There is a reason that teams don't send players like him to the tournament as a 19 year old.

Would rather send him on a conditioning assignment to the Reign if he needs more ice time.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Middle six time in the NHL, not even close.

He has nothing to gain as a 19 year old #2 OA competing against teenagers from Austria and Germany, even the Czechs don't produce players like they used to. There is a reason that teams don't send players like him to the tournament as a 19 year old.

Would rather send him on a conditioning assignment to the Reign if he needs more ice time.

Again, I'd rather him be in the NHL, but let's not forget he was still a bottom-six player who racked up most of his points in a single game against his peers at the last WJC.

The AHL isn't an option. So if somehow the season begins less than ideally, there's an argument to be made.

Here are the last 10 players taken 2nd overall:
Quinton Byfield (2020)
Kaapo Kakko (2019)
Andrei Svechnikov (2018)
Nolan Patrick (2017)
Patrik Laine (2016)
Jack Eichel (2015)
Sam Reinhart (2014)
Aleksander Barkov (2013)
Ryan Murray (2012)
Gabriel Landeskog (2011)

Of those, Reinhart is the only one to attend the WJC in his D+1 year. However, it's not like avoiding the WJC has elevated some of these players. Would Kakko and Patrick benefitted from playing in the WJC instead of staying in the NHL? Granted, Landeskog, Eichel and Barkov turned out just fine. Svechnikov looks good, too. However, playing against the best in the world in your age group isn't necessarily the worst. Particularly if he's not producing to our liking at the NHL level.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Again, I'd rather him be in the NHL, but let's not forget he was still a bottom-six player who racked up most of his points in a single game against his peers at the last WJC.

The AHL isn't an option. So if somehow the season begins less than ideally, there's an argument to be made.

Here are the last 10 players taken 2nd overall:
Quinton Byfield (2020)
Kaapo Kakko (2019)
Andrei Svechnikov (2018)
Nolan Patrick (2017)
Patrik Laine (2016)
Jack Eichel (2015)
Sam Reinhart (2014)
Aleksander Barkov (2013)
Ryan Murray (2012)
Gabriel Landeskog (2011)

Of those, Reinhart is the only one to attend the WJC in his D+1 year. However, it's not like avoiding the WJC has elevated some of these players. Would Kakko and Patrick benefitted from playing in the WJC instead of staying in the NHL? Granted, Landeskog, Eichel and Barkov turned out just fine. Svechnikov looks good, too. However, playing against the best in the world in your age group isn't necessarily the worst. Particularly if he's not producing to our liking at the NHL level.

The Kings could send Byfield to the AHL on a conditioning assignment if he weren't playing in the NHL (Unless the rules have changed). That to me is a better option than having him go from competing in the best league in the world to competing against teenagers from Austria, Germany and the Czech Rep.

Byfield is in his D+2 (not sure if that is what you meant to type). Kaako and Hughes could have played in the WJC this past December/January due to the late season start but neither team sent them. Probably because after competing against men the season before it made no sense to compete against teenagers and then jump back into the best league in the world. Byfield didn't compete in the best league in the world the whole year, but he spent the entire year in the AHL or NHL. Chicago did choose to send Dach, but I think that was only because of the late start, they wouldn't have pulled him from the NHL. And Dach ended up suffering a major injury in the tournament, another risk.

A guy like Nolan Patrick is probably just a bust or huge disappointment, depending on how you define bust, and whether he went to the WJC or not probably doesn't change that. Some guys just peak at younger ages, and that is probably the case with him and Murray.

The only way you even consider sending Byfield to the WJC's is if he is having such a bad season that you think it might help him find his confidence. I am optimistic that won't be the case with QB and he is closer to establishing himself as a future NHL star than needing to go beat up on teenagers, most of whom won't play in the league.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The Kings could send Byfield to the AHL on a conditioning assignment if he weren't playing in the NHL (Unless the rules have changed). That to me is a better option than having him go from competing in the best league in the world to competing against teenagers from Austria, Germany and the Czech Rep.

Byfield is in his D+2 (not sure if that is what you meant to type). Kaako and Hughes could have played in the WJC this past December/January due to the late season start but neither team sent them. Probably because after competing against men the season before it made no sense to compete against teenagers and then jump back into the best league in the world. Byfield didn't compete in the best league in the world the whole year, but he spent the entire year in the AHL or NHL. Chicago did choose to send Dach, but I think that was only because of the late start, they wouldn't have pulled him from the NHL. And Dach ended up suffering a major injury in the tournament, another risk.

A guy like Nolan Patrick is probably just a bust or huge disappointment, depending on how you define bust, and whether he went to the WJC or not probably doesn't change that. Some guys just peak at younger ages, and that is probably the case with him and Murray.

The only way you even consider sending Byfield to the WJC's is if he is having such a bad season that you think it might help him find his confidence. I am optimistic that won't be the case with QB and he is closer to establishing himself as a future NHL star than needing to go beat up on teenagers, most of whom won't play in the league.

Thank you, yes, I meant D+2. And so in that case, Reinhart would not have participated either. This year really has been screwy.

I'm also optimistic Byfield will adjust well to the NHL. Again, I don't think the WJC is the plan (especially since he has gold and silver already). I just like to add appropriate caveats ;)

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
With the 2021-2022 NHL season just weeks away, what is everyone's thought on Quinton Byfield being in the starting lineup?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
In order to keep him, they'd have to literally waive someone for free, essentially. He doesn't look bad, but he hasn't screamed bulldoze the roster for his arrival, yet. I think he starts in the AHL.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
In order to keep him, they'd have to literally waive someone for free, essentially. He doesn't look bad, but he hasn't screamed bulldoze the roster for his arrival, yet. I think he starts in the AHL.

If Byfield is the best option, I couldn't give one f*** if we waive a Lizotte or Lemieux or whatever fourth line fringe guy we would send down instead. I wouldn't even give half a f***. Maybe, maybe 1/10th of one. Maybe.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The thing is Danault and Kopitar are still signed after this year.
JAD, Vilardi Kupari and Turcotte are all capable also.
Really dont understand what the plan is.

I assume JAD is locked on the 4th line. Kupari and Vilardi move to the wing. The real Q is which of Byfield or Turcotte moves there as well because Kopitar is staying at centre for at least the next three years and Danault isn't moving to the wing.

Reactions: Schmooley

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The thing is Danault and Kopitar are still signed after this year.
JAD, Vilardi Kupari and Turcotte are all capable also.
Really dont understand what the plan is.

I think they are waiting to see which one of those guys steps up and forces their hand. I don't really include Vilardi in that group as he has pretty much secured a spot, although I don't think it will be at center long term.

It is undoubtedly harder to stand out at a camp, but out of the younger crew who were in the A last year, who has really stepped up at any position? Maybe Fagemo so far? I think a lot of us expected Kaliyev to get a long look but he's been quiet. Byfield has looked pretty good, but not world beating. Same with Turcotte. A lot of the younger guys have been solid on D, but nothing that would force their way on the roster. Spence has looked really solid, but he's got more learning to do. Clague has looked pretty good as well, but that's kind of expected as he's a couple years older. I would actually prefer him over Maata as the 7th, but that's a minor thing.

I think the AHL team is going to be an ongoing audition this year, and when the inevitable injuries strike, that's when they will get a true shot.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If Byfield is the best option, I couldn't give one f*** if we waive a Lizotte or Lemieux or whatever fourth line fringe guy we would send down instead. I wouldn't even give half a f***. Maybe, maybe 1/10th of one. Maybe.

What do you think is best, third line in the NHL or 1st line all situations in the AHL?

Rhetorical, I'm not looking for a 'right 'answer. I think that's the challenge this year, to find out what's best for everyone's development.

But I definitely agree if the right answer = 'play Byfield' then 'waive Lizotte' should not be anything in the way.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
What do you think is best, third line in the NHL or 1st line all situations in the AHL?

Rhetorical, I'm not looking for a 'right 'answer. I think that's the challenge this year, to find out what's best for everyone's development.

But I definitely agree if the right answer = 'play Byfield' then 'waive Lizotte' should not be anything in the way.

I think it’s both? No reason he can’t bounce up and down as needed imo. Outside all the people saying a #2 pick should be in the NHL a year after his draft.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I think they are waiting to see which one of those guys steps up and forces their hand. I don't really include Vilardi in that group as he has pretty much secured a spot, although I don't think it will be at center long term.

It is undoubtedly harder to stand out at a camp, but out of the younger crew who were in the A last year, who has really stepped up at any position? Maybe Fagemo so far? I think a lot of us expected Kaliyev to get a long look but he's been quiet. Byfield has looked pretty good, but not world beating. Same with Turcotte. A lot of the younger guys have been solid on D, but nothing that would force their way on the roster. Spence has looked really solid, but he's got more learning to do. Clague has looked pretty good as well, but that's kind of expected as he's a couple years older. I would actually prefer him over Maata as the 7th, but that's a minor thing.

I think the AHL team is going to be an ongoing audition this year, and when the inevitable injuries strike, that's when they will get a true shot.
Fagemo played with kopitar the other day and Im not sure that he really stepped up more than any others if not for that.
Most top picks like lafreniere and stutzle get guaranteed a spot on the top line right off the bat. Turcotte kaliyev and byfield havent skated with the better kings players like kopitar and arvidsson…
Byfield has been stapled to pinelli who is going to be a good player but is the furthest from the nhl in the entire kings camp.
A good example is someone like guentzel. I dont think he was all that much better than madden is right now on his first call up. He was just put in a position to succeed and ran with it.
Put turcotte next to kopitar and see what happens.
And i wish they cut the young players some slack and not try to force vilardi byfield and turcotte to be super responsible two way centers or get benched at the expense of offensive creativity.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It's a tough situation. The Danault signing is weird because it is both very good but also very perplexing with the plan we had put in place. No matter what, Byfield will likely be a 3rd line center in the NHL to start. Maybe he takes the #2 spot from Danault midseason, but he most certainly will start bottom 6 now because of the signing. It also pretty much guarantees that one of Vilardi, Turcotte, and possibly Kupari/Madden/Thomas/etc. get dealt within 1-2 seasons because the plan for Danault is to settle into being one of the most dominant bottom 6 shutdown centers in the league - or so is the dream... Hopefully, that all comes to pass...

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Fagemo played with kopitar the other day and Im not sure that he really stepped up more than any others if not for that.
Most top picks like lafreniere and stutzle get guaranteed a spot on the top line right off the bat. Turcotte kaliyev and byfield havent skated with the better kings players like kopitar and arvidsson…
Byfield has been stapled to pinelli who is going to be a good player but is the furthest from the nhl in the entire kings camp.
A good example is someone like guentzel. I dont think he was all that much better than madden is right now on his first call up. He was just put in a position to succeed and ran with it.
Put turcotte next to kopitar and see what happens.
And i wish they cut the young players some slack and not try to force vilardi byfield and turcotte to be super responsible two way centers or get benched at the expense of offensive creativity.

Yea, I definitely agree. Fagemo has been the most impressive, but would another player have done the same in that spot? That's probable. We don't get to see a lot of the other stuff in camp, so it's a tough call. Listening to the coaches, Spence has definitely turned heads along with Fagemo, and TM said Byfield had a good few days. No one has just screamed "put me in coach" with their play yet.

One positive is I don't really see that emphasis on two-way play to the level that it was before, and definitely not at the expense of creativity. They will definitely get more slack under TM than they would have under the previous coaches, the way he's been talking he wants them to take a little more risks and get on the puck.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Yep, I agree. Personally, I'd take 3rd line. We tend to think 3rd line = just 10-12 minutes a game, but I can't imagine Byfield wouldn't be worked into the PP as well. 13-14 minutes a night playing sheltered minutes on the third line and special teams would be fine by me. Two great centres to learn from too in Kopi and Danault

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I think he starts in the AHL and gets called up mid-season if he is producing in the AHL. Probably the best option for his development. We really don't need him up this year. I would consider Turcotte/Kupari/Fagemo/Madden as options to start the season because they are more senior. First two C spots are already locked, and in my opinion, JAD has locked the 4C based on performance last year and hustle this year. The 3C can be filled by one of Turcotte or Kupari.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Unless injuries come into play in LA, I really hope QB is given a full year in the AHL, not only to learn how to dominate against men, but also to acclimatize to the life of a full year of professional hockey (not a shortened season). No need to rush our prized jewel, ESPECIALLY considering he’s the youngest 19 year old one could be starting this season. Don’t we all wish Vilardi had had a bit more time in the A to build confidence and play a full season before raising expectations? Plus, it’ll slide his contract one more year so it coincides with Kopi’s next deal.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
As much as I wanted QB to dominate to show off his #2OA talent, it looks like he does need to polish some parts of his game. Faceoffs need work if he is to be a dominant center.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Unless injuries come into play in LA, I really hope QB is given a full year in the AHL, not only to learn how to dominate against men, but also to acclimatize to the life of a full year of professional hockey (not a shortened season). No need to rush our prized jewel, ESPECIALLY considering he’s the youngest 19 year old one could be starting this season. Don’t we all wish Vilardi had had a bit more time in the A to build confidence and play a full season before raising expectations? Plus, it’ll slide his contract one more year so it coincides with Kopi’s next deal.

Your contract doesn't slide if you play in the AHL. It only slides if you go back to junior.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Lunch

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As much as I wanted QB to dominate to show off his #2OA talent, it looks like he does need to polish some parts of his game. Faceoffs need work if he is to be a dominant center.

Honestly he typically crushes it on faceoffs, ahead of what you'd think anyway. Last night he was lined up against 10 year NHL centers like friggin Couture and Bonino.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad