News Article: Quinn regrets "coaching this one guy."

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
and shesterkin didnt play like he did last year. last year shesterkin was far and away the best goalie in the nhl and masked a lot of terrible breakdowns and overall poor play from the rangers.

Exactly, even Shesterkin couldn’t take a Quinn coached team to the playoffs

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Sounds like Kakko to me. He tried to reinvent him from the ground up and had him playing too scared to make a mistake. It could also be TDA. Truth be told, it doesn’t sound like Quinn had the Locke room under control. I wish him luck in his new gig. I think he might develop into a good coach following his learning experiences in NY. Time will tell.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Maybe my English skills are insufficient here, but the way it’s it’s worded ‘regret coaching’ — i.e. not “I regret how I coached”, “I regret my coaching of” or something like that — it sounds like he regret the relationship he had as a coach to a player all together. That would make it TDA for sure. DQ regrets being exposed to him.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
its DeAngelo. Boston Irishman and Jersey Italian are like oil and water
How many teams does TDA have to be tossed from before it becomes obvious to everyone that he is oil to everyone else's water?

There were a lot of posters here trying to kick Hank out the door but now he was treated poorly by the coach?

Panarin? Really?

Quinn was the worst coach ever in any sport? Some terrible ones in this town were Rex Ryan, Espo, and Herm Edwards.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

ajdj10

Feb 14, 2012
Neverland
sc.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Tob and Machinehead

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I would think it's either DeAngelo because that was just a mess or Howden because he overexposed Howden and put him in a position to fail.

Don't get why folks are saying Panarin. Panarin was fantastic under Quinn and Quinn was the first coach to give him a letter. Unlike DeAngelo, which you could argue could have been handled better at different times by different people, Panarin's off-ice issues were entirely beyond anyone's control.
Didn't he acknowledge in another interview that looking back Howden should have spent some time in the AHL?

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
All I know is, I never had a good feeling about DQ as a HC and with how he handled players.... but then I talked to a kid who played for him at Northeastern and he said he was the biggest prick he's ever met. Completely full of himself, poor standards of his own work (I guess he would be late often) yet willing to come down on guys right in front of everyone. He said it was a horrible experience for everyone. Not sure how this guy keeps coaching tbh. Also very full of himself too apparently.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Didn't he acknowledge in another interview that looking back Howden should have spent some time in the AHL?
He did mention something to that effect, yes.

I really think it's Howden. I don't think DeAngelo would be a "regret" thing. He's DeAngelo. He's rubbed multiple people the wrong way and nobody would put that on Quinn's head.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He did mention something to that effect, yes.

I really think it's Howden. I don't think DeAngelo would be a "regret" thing. He's DeAngelo. He's rubbed multiple people the wrong way and nobody would put that on Quinn's head.

The thing with DeAngelo is, a significant part of it was Gorton too, not just Quinn, in handing down an ultimatum.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Come on, this one is easy and it's clearly Tony DeAngelo.

First game of the 56 game shortened season and the Rangers are losing 4-0 in the 3rd to the Islanders. TDA takes a holding penalty and then gets a misconduct for yapping to the officials. Quinn makes an example out of him and scratches him for the next game, and the one after.

First game of the season and he scratches a veteran because he took an extra 2 minute misconduct out of frustration in a game they were losing 4-0.

I'm not defending TDA at all, but how many other coaches are going to do that to a veteran after the first game of the season? Things spiraled out of control from there. He scratched him for 2 games and TDA lost his #1 PP QB spot to Adam Fox. He never got it back when he returned to the lineup. They lost 4 of the next 5 games, and everything boiled over when TDA was a -3 and the OT lost to Pittsburgh that led to the blow up and fight with Georgiev. Drury later said in an interview that TDA couldn't put the benching behind him and things snowballed.

A more veteran coach, or maybe a coach not trying to show the team who's boss and make an example of a player, probably just has a conversation with DeAngelo after that first game and that's it. It's water under the bridge and things don't spiral out of control.

Definitely a learning experience for Quinn.
That game began with an absolutely despicable phantom penalty call on Stanley Cup Champion Jack Johnson in the first couple of minutes - I wouldn't blame any Ranger for ending up with an unsportsmanlike.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
I think it's Kakko. remember the "no stickhandling on a 2-on-1" shit? he really messed him up.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think it's Kakko. remember the "no stickhandling on a 2-on-1" shit? he really messed him up.

Honest question, if you guys handcuffed a kid a bit too much but with good intentions — would you ever refer to that as “I regret coaching Kakko [this one guy]”.

That just sounds completely wrong in my ears, but English is not my mother tongue. If I had to put up with — what I thought — was a complete pest who really made life hell, then I might say “I regret coaching x”. Or?

Like if I regret being rude to someone, you say “I regret being rude to X”. Not “I regret meeting X”.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Honest question, if you guys handcuffed a kid a bit too much but with good intentions — would you ever refer to that as “I regret coaching Kakko [this one guy]”.
I think saying something like "I regret over-coaching this one guy" would have made a world of difference in clarity.
That just sounds completely wrong in my ears, but English is not my mother tongue. If I had to put up with — what I thought — was a complete pest who really made life hell, then I might say “I regret coaching x”. Or?

Like if I regret being rude to someone, you say “I regret being rude to X”. Not “I regret meeting X”.
I think saying something like "I regret being the coach of this one guy" would have made a world of difference in clarity.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
These boards have had "difficulties" with every coach in the recent past: from Renney, to Torts, to AV, to DQ, and even now to Gallant.

That is certainly our "right" as fans.

In fact, I see this as one of our, to yours a soccer terms, "talking points" for this year. Gallant has always worn out his welcome quickly. While last year he was a positive influence, will his message and demeanor become a negative in year two?

I honestly don't think that DQ did a bad job here, He was hired to be a specific type of coach in a specific era,, with a specific type of team: a transition coach, if you will,

He certainly made mistakes. Anyone who has been a leader of a team, in business, in education, in the military, is sports, anywhere, will tell you that there were things they wish they had done differently, decisions that they wish they had a "do over" for, things that keep them up at night and haunt their thoughts during the day.

I have always been fascinated with how fired coaches do in their second job, when they have had a chance to think about all that went down in the first gig, had a chance to internalize what happened, to think through some of their decisions.

I personally hope he does well. He had many fine qualities, Yes, I certainly felt that the Rangers changing coaches was the right decision and events have certainly borne that out. But, I don't buy, not in least, that he was a terrible coach. In retrospect, he left a team with many positive aspects in place, and some of those positive aspects can be attributed to him.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and chosen

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
All I know is, I never had a good feeling about DQ as a HC and with how he handled players.... but then I talked to a kid who played for him at Northeastern and he said he was the biggest prick he's ever met. Completely full of himself, poor standards of his own work (I guess he would be late often) yet willing to come down on guys right in front of everyone. He said it was a horrible experience for everyone. Not sure how this guy keeps coaching tbh. Also very full of himself too apparently.

The key to the conversation you had with the kid is how good was this kid. Lots of players in team sports hate the coach if they feel they were being held back by that coach. Did the kid go on to have any kind of career? Did he transfer and succeed?

More than likely, he just wasn't good enough so he blamed the coach for his own failings.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015

No you're right, he words it very poorly and it opens it up to interpretation. When I see the word "regret", though, I feel like he means he regrets something he did that hurt the player. I don't think he could "regret" coaching ADA for example, he was a player on the team, he had to coach him.

Reactions: Ola

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
1663794890264.png

I meant that I regret coaching, period. I was offered a prestigious full scholarship at Apex Technical School, where I had my pick of choice among the most cutting-edge HVAC, automotive maintenance, and welding disciplines. But I chose hockey, and it has led to this. My biggest regret was I missed out on that coveted set of tools Apex lets you keep after graduation.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
How many teams does TDA have to be tossed from before it becomes obvious to everyone that he is oil to everyone else's water?

There were a lot of posters here trying to kick Hank out the door but now he was treated poorly by the coach?

Panarin? Really?

Quinn was the worst coach ever in any sport? Some terrible ones in this town were Rex Ryan, Espo, and Herm Edwards.
Some people did not like Espo. Did that make him a bad coach? I did not think so. I thought the team played better under him.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
This summarizes what I dislike about Quinn and why he has trouble wrangling a veteran locker room. He has this.... lack of awareness or incorrect perception of himself. It's an odd thing to say because it's an odd thing to say so why say it in an interview? What is the intended effect that he's trying to achieve? If he achieves it, he's getting there by being annoying and cryptic.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Did you like him as a GM?
Overall no but he had a mixed record. Some good. Some very bad. The team he took over was not a world beater. He made some decent moves but then got carried away. The big one was the Ridley trade gone wrong. Poddubney for Allison was a steal. The Ogrodnick and Kisio trades were good. Carpenter for Dione was a strange but fair deal.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
This summarizes what I dislike about Quinn and why he has trouble wrangling a veteran locker room. He has this.... lack of awareness or incorrect perception of himself. It's an odd thing to say because it's an odd thing to say so why say it in an interview? What is the intended effect that he's trying to achieve? If he achieves it, he's getting there by being annoying and cryptic.
That was probably on purpose, being obtuse. Otherwise he would have just said who it was.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Some people did not like Espo. Did that make him a bad coach? I did not think so. I thought the team played better under him.
He had a 45 game career as Rangers coach, which wasn't successful. 2W 8L in the playoffs. Neilson took over and they won the division twice and finished 2nd the other year. Great player, but I thought he was a buffoon as a GM and coach.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He had a 45 game career as Rangers coach, which wasn't successful. 2W 8L in the playoffs. Neilson took over and they won the division twice and finished 2nd the other year. Great player, but I thought he was a buffoon as a GM and coach.
I thought the team improved after he took over in the Ted Sator season. Those players despised Sator. Im not judging Espo based on 10 playoff games. The team was only a 500 team at that time. I don't think they were going to beat Marios Penguins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad