News Article: Quinn regrets "coaching this one guy."

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I don't know - I read this as he coached a guy the wrong way and regrets it. Could really be just about anybody.
Exactly, when you read the quote with contacts it sounds like he's saying you made a mistake and the way that he handled one player in particular. That screams that it's kakko especially with what we know kakko's feelings to be about playing under Quinn based on his quotes last Summer

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
why even say that Quinn? odd quote to make in an interview.
It’s probably something that has been gnawing at him. Quinn wanted to get it off his chest. Maybe acknowledge it for others in the business, as well.

Probably the worst coach in any sports league. He should not have lasted as long as he did. Hiring him was Gortons biggest mistake.
Gorton gambled on a young coach with a rebuilding team. He hoped they’d grow together. It didn’t work out that way. That happens too.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
the context leads to believe he regretted the way he coached someone, not just having to coach a specific player in general.
Yeah agree, which would seem to lend itself to a rookie

That said, didn't Strome make some comments about Quinn overcoaching and how frustrating that was? Wonder if Quinn regrets how he approached that

Reactions: ecemleafs

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Quinn is an idiot for even singling out this nameless player (gotta be Tony D). Shows he hasn’t learned much. I’ve found him defiant in his post Rangers interviews. Gallant is a dime a dozen coach, but even he took all of Quinn’s guys to an ECF in his first year. Not surprising that the only guy who would hire him is his BU buddy Grier.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Come on, this one is easy and it's clearly Tony DeAngelo.

First game of the 56 game shortened season and the Rangers are losing 4-0 in the 3rd to the Islanders. TDA takes a holding penalty and then gets a misconduct for yapping to the officials. Quinn makes an example out of him and scratches him for the next game, and the one after.

First game of the season and he scratches a veteran because he took an extra 2 minute misconduct out of frustration in a game they were losing 4-0.

I'm not defending TDA at all, but how many other coaches are going to do that to a veteran after the first game of the season? Things spiraled out of control from there. He scratched him for 2 games and TDA lost his #1 PP QB spot to Adam Fox. He never got it back when he returned to the lineup. They lost 4 of the next 5 games, and everything boiled over when TDA was a -3 and the OT lost to Pittsburgh that led to the blow up and fight with Georgiev. Drury later said in an interview that TDA couldn't put the benching behind him and things snowballed.

A more veteran coach, or maybe a coach not trying to show the team who's boss and make an example of a player, probably just has a conversation with DeAngelo after that first game and that's it. It's water under the bridge and things don't spiral out of control.

Definitely a learning experience for Quinn.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Quinn is an idiot for even singling out this nameless player (gotta be Tony D). Shows he hasn’t learned much. I’ve found him defiant in his post Rangers interviews. Gallant is a dime a dozen coach, but even he took all of Quinn’s guys to an ECF in his first year. Not surprising that the only guy who would hire him is his BU buddy Grier.
gallant took quinns guys to the ECF with shesterkin having an all time great year.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Quinn micromanaging pros was something a lot of us saw. Weird quote about the “one guy.” Did the interviewer ask the obvious follow-up question?

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Quinn micromanaging pros was something a lot of us saw. Weird quote about the “one guy.” Did the interviewer ask the obvious follow-up question?
You need to click on "These Athletes Left Little to the Imagination" to see that answer

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yeah agree, which would seem to lend itself to a rookie

That said, didn't Strome make some comments about Quinn overcoaching and how frustrating that was? Wonder if Quinn regrets how he approached that
not sure its the guy who had career highs all the years he played with quinn.
Im gonna guess kakko

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Come on, this one is easy and it's clearly Tony DeAngelo.

First game of the 56 game shortened season and the Rangers are losing 4-0 in the 3rd to the Islanders. TDA takes a holding penalty and then gets a misconduct for yapping to the officials. Quinn makes an example out of him and scratches him for the next game, and the one after.

First game of the season and he scratches a veteran because he took an extra 2 minute misconduct out of frustration in a game they were losing 4-0.

I'm not defending TDA at all, but how many other coaches are going to do that to a veteran after the first game of the season? Things spiraled out of control from there. He scratched him for 2 games and TDA lost his #1 PP QB spot to Adam Fox. He never got it back when he returned to the lineup. They lost 4 of the next 5 games, and everything boiled over when TDA was a -3 and the OT lost to Pittsburgh that led to the blow up and fight with Georgiev. Drury later said in an interview that TDA couldn't put the benching behind him and things snowballed.

A more veteran coach, or maybe a coach not trying to show the team who's boss and make an example of a player, probably just has a conversation with DeAngelo after that first game and that's it. It's water under the bridge and things don't spiral out of control.

Definitely a learning experience for Quinn.

I'd hardly call DeAngelo a veteran at that point. He was still very much "prove it" largely because of his hotheadedness

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I posted an older interview with him; Brett Howden playing every game was something he sounded very regretful about. But it also had lower stakes, less fan interest, and what I think was a more obvious answer than the issues with Kakko and Lafreniere - they should have sent him down and let him put up a bunch of points for Hartford.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't think Quinn is a terrible coach and I wouldn't be surprised if he finds success down the road. He seems like a smart guy, obviously he had some trouble adjusting from coaching college guys to pro players, but as we see in football that's pretty common. Can he adjust? Again, he's smart, and he seems to understand some of the things he did wrong.

Mentioning "that one player" is kind of weird. Maybe he just let his thoughts wander for a moment and realized he was walking into a thorn bush and stopped there.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That is not accurate. Several fans on this board pushed for Kreider to be on the 3rd line before the previous season.
During the season, too. The rationale used was "Kreider can still do his thing on the PP and contribute whatever in less 5v5 time" while one of the two young guys would take his spot at even strength.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
TDA is the obvious answer but Quinn also benched Lias, Chytil, Kakko, Buchnevich.

It probably isn't Hank because the article says the player is still in the NHL.
I don't think it was Kakko, Howden, Chytil. Those 3 were mostly just sponges for DQ's ramblings.

Likely that the issue happened during the 3rd year and he wasn't able to make amends. With Buchnevich, although he was scratched, he later was a top line player and seemed OK. Not much else to go off to try and narrow it down unless someone recalls specific words from his pressers.

why even say that Quinn? odd quote to make in an interview.
I think you forgot how verbose and stream-of-consciousness this guys interviews were...

Agree

Last edited:

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
It’s probably something that has been gnawing at him. Quinn wanted to get it off his chest. Maybe acknowledge it for others in the business, as well.

Gorton gambled on a young coach with a rebuilding team. He hoped they’d grow together. It didn’t work out that way. That happens too.
i thought this was pretty cool of quinn. not sure how many coaches are open to self reflection and identifying/owning mistakes they made in prior roles. cool he was open about that too, and agree might have been a message he wanted to get to that player. pretty sure tony has said he did actually like quinn and there were no hard feelings there though, believe they've talked since tony left so dont think that message would need to go through media.

i honestly think it was a vet, and i wonder if strome/mika with strome being most likely the person hes talking about. no secret the vets were the ones who were not supportive. his last year, esp those games late in the year against the isles the panarin line killed us continually trying to go through the middle that was completely taken away and resulted in turnovers going the other way. strome had a couple moments he subtly pushed back on the coaches, esp after wins they contributed in where he was implying theyre going to play their way because they knew better. got the impression he would have been the loudest pushing back and actively ignoring things quinn wanted. mika just because he was probably someone hed have leaned on - and i could see him pushing for him to be more emotional and physical etc. because of his skillset and willingness to battle physically/size and the way never really gets involved in the post whistle stuff/doesnt typically look to ever throw hits - hes not afraid of contact but in those isles games we got bullied i can picture quinn ripping into him about the need to respond. not hard to see quinn taking his style to mean he didnt care.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad