News Article: Quinn regrets "coaching this one guy."

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I love his comment on young players “earning it,” as Kakko would have a goal and then get a celebratory benching.

I’d have to assume it was TDA or maybe even Brendan Lemieux. It seems like there’s was some bad vibes with them.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's click bait-ey but it's almost certainly either Panarin or DeAngelo

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
Fuller context from actual interview link:

He figures he wanted to do so well and so much that he overdid it. He overcoached. It was not something he had ever done before, in his estimation.

"I've got moments that I'm proud of and moments that I regret," he said. "You wish you had some do-overs, that's for sure."

There's one situation in particular that gnaws at him.

"Probably my biggest regret in coaching is this one guy," Quinn said.

+++++

In the context of "overcoaching" his "regret" is most likely trying to coach a veteran

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I'm hard pressed to think it's anyone other than TDA.

Quinn boxed himself in, had the GM to back him, and Tony blew it big (i'm not removing any TDA responsibility here). Not inviting the inevitable wave of 'we lost an asset' posters, but a coach should always have 2nd thoughts about being a catalyst of having a player kicked off a team.

Honorable mentions of other players he lost:

- Lias Andersson (bullygate, foot injury, depression, xbox, whatever the hell the actual story was)
- Panarin (leave of absence)

I'd list Brendan Lemieux, but no one has ever lost sleep about Brendan Lemieux.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
It's really difficult to speculate at all based on what was actually said.

If it's a young player I would think Kakko or Chytil, but I would guess it was a more veteran player. I think Quinn might regret how he handled communication with the young Euro guys.

If it's a veteran player, I think it could be Mika who appeared frustrated with Quinn at times, especially late in his last season here. I remember a handful of shots of Mika rolling his eyes on the bench and his overall body language being frustrated.

I think it could be Lundqvist and Quinn regrets basically benching him for months from actual playing time, having him on the bench as basically a mascot and then throwing him in to start in the bubble series which was basically setting him up for failure after not playing for so long. Maybe if he had a do-over he would've alternated Lundqvist and Shesty and benched Georgiev, especially with the luxury of hindsight. I'm not sure that's it though, although I could see Quinn looking back and not being happy with how he basically put a franchise icon out to pasture when it wasn't really necessary.

I could see it being Tony D but I'm not sure. I think Quinn used him well and was very fair with him, but obviously we don't know what happened behind the scenes so it definitely could've been him.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would think it's either DeAngelo because that was just a mess or Howden because he overexposed Howden and put him in a position to fail.

Don't get why folks are saying Panarin. Panarin was fantastic under Quinn and Quinn was the first coach to give him a letter. Unlike DeAngelo, which you could argue could have been handled better at different times by different people, Panarin's off-ice issues were entirely beyond anyone's control.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I would think it's either DeAngelo because that was just a mess or Howden because he overexposed Howden and put him in a position to fail.

Don't get why folks are saying Panarin. Panarin was fantastic under Quinn and Quinn was the first coach to give him a letter. Unlike DeAngelo, which you could argue could have been handled better at different times by different people, Panarin's off-ice issues were entirely beyond anyone's control.
Howden is a good one, I forgot about him. Could definitely be him and Quinn realizes in hindsight that he was setting him up to fail. He loved him too so I could definitely see it being him.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Fuller context from actual interview link:

He figures he wanted to do so well and so much that he overdid it. He overcoached. It was not something he had ever done before, in his estimation.

"I've got moments that I'm proud of and moments that I regret," he said. "You wish you had some do-overs, that's for sure."

There's one situation in particular that gnaws at him.

"Probably my biggest regret in coaching is this one guy," Quinn said.

+++++

In the context of "overcoaching" his "regret" is most likely trying to coach a veteran
This is exactly what a lot of us said about Quinns time here.

He did over-coach and it was pretty plain to see. I do like Quinn though, and wish him well. I think the guy might be Mika, Trouba or Buch

Reactions: egelband

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
That Grier quote is ridiculous. No one, absolutely no one, was advocating playing Kakko or Lafreniere over players like Kreider or Zibanejad.
there were definitely people saying they should be put in the top 6 and top pp no matter what because that was where they needed to be to develop. dont remember it being so much about names they deserved to play over, but definitely were advocates saying they should have been getting top line minutes regardless of if they were the best player at that time. was insanity, but it def happened

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00