Quinn Hughes vs Cale Makar vs Adam Boqvist

Rank these 3 defensemen from the highest ceiling to the lowest ceiling.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
That is super wishful thinking. I hope it doesn’t translate to the NHL level either but the chance that happens is about 5%. Everything I’ve seen and read about him screams top pairing offensive defenseman.
Hughes is going to have to put on LOTS of weight and improve on his defensive game immensely to be a top pairing defenseman. You can't be a top pairing defenseman if you can't defend your own end.

Reactions: Newsworthy

avalancheboi

Nov 16, 2018
Aurora
Hughes will start next season in the AHL while Makar is on the first pairing and #1PP for the Avs, mark my words.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Because he's not in the same tier as those guys? To be fair I don't believe Boqvist is in the same tier as Hughes and Makar either.
Huh, When comparing Ty Smiths stats to the others I don't see any difference at all.

Reactions: Morgs

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Is this the part were we pretend development is linear and that what they were doing at 18 matters?
Boqvist is 18 at this point of time. The comparison is to Makar at that point. There is a reason the latter's offensive game is more developed. Boqvist has more raw talent and potential on the offensive side of the puck. Makar as I said is better because of his better defensive game.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Boqvist is 18 at this point of time. The comparison is to Makar at that point. There is a reason the latter's offensive game is more developed. Boqvist has more raw talent and potential on the offensive side of the puck. Makar as I said is better because of his better defensive game.

So that’s a yes, how delightful.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Seeing people label Makar as an offensive D :laugh:

The kid is an all situation stud at the college level. He is very good defensively, absolutely exceptional offensively, lights people up with hits, uses his speed to control the gap, recover if beat, rushes the puck as few others can etc. Watching him play is like watching Nathan MacKinnon on D. The stride, the speed, the power when he lowers his shoulders is like a carbon copy of Nate.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Imo Hughes and Makar are the 2 best prospects currently not in the game. Who is over who is really dependent on who you talk to but it'll likely be a fun life long comparison of the 2 guy.

Boqvist is a good prospect but not with those other 2 guys.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Can't wait until Makar/Hughes get into lineups next year and we can see a full year of them.

I think Cale is probably going to be a better all around Dman but Hughes will be better offensively.

Boqvist to me is closer to Ty Smith though he does have insane potential.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Huh, When comparing Ty Smiths stats to the others I don't see any difference at all.

Plus, he's by far the best defensively. The best defensive prospect in the world imo, and people are gonna be like "draft steal" or "under the radar" in a couple years lmao. Had him #3 after Dahlin and Svech.

My top-5:

1. Smith
2. Hughes
3. Brannstrom
4. Boqvist
5. Makar

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Yes when compare stats alone. But when you compare skill level and potential hes slightly behind. He has amazing IQ though. But he doesn't have these guys skating or puck skills.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
That's a strong statement. Part of me thinks your Bias is showing. I'm not sure where Boqvist has higher potential.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Plus, he's by far the best defensively. The best defensive prospect in the world imo, and people are gonna be like "draft steal" or "under the radar" in a couple years lmao. Had him #3 after Dahlin and Svech.

My top-5:

1. Smith
2. Hughes
3. Brannstrom
4. Boqvist
5. Makar

Yikes...

I've seen some bad lists but boy its hard to make a list worst than that one.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Yikes...

I've seen some bad lists but boy its hard to make a list worst than that one.

Lol I see them all as top-pairing defenseman, but I think Smith has the potential be a top-5 defenseman in the NHL some day. Don't see the same upside in anyone else, but I think Hughes will be the closest. The other 3 I think have very similar potential to each other, but I am just a bigger fan of Boqvist & Brannstrom than I am Makar :dunno:.

Realistically if it makes you feel better, move Makar to 3.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lol I see them all as top-pairing defenseman, but I think Smith has the potential be a top-5 defenseman in the NHL some day. Don't see the same upside in anyone else, but I think Hughes will be the closest. The other 3 I think have very similar potential to each other, but I am just a bigger fan of Boqvist & Brannstrom than I am Makar :dunno:.

Realistically if it makes you feel better, move Makar to 3.

You're big on advanced stats & don't value the eye test at all, do you?

E: This wasn't meant as condescendingly as it reads lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad