Quinn Hughes vs Cale Makar vs Adam Boqvist

Rank these 3 defensemen from the highest ceiling to the lowest ceiling.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
:laugh: people suggesting Boqvist has more offensive "tools" then Makar.

This is Makar at this point and it's not close. It's amazing how much people are sleeping on him because us Avs fans dont talk about our prospects on the main boards very much. This kid is the best drafted prospect in the world right now.
I understand saying Makar but it defintely close.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I think for pure ceiling I have Boqvist first, very closely followed by Makar and then Hughes. If Boqvist is developed properly he will be deadly.

Reactions: clydesdale line

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Makar 13G 26A +26 in 32 games

Leads UMass in points and is 2 goals behind the leading goalscorer. All this while being an outstanding all situations two way D.

Reactions: The Merchant

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
:laugh: people suggesting Boqvist has more offensive "tools" then Makar.

This is Makar at this point and it's not close. It's amazing how much people are sleeping on him because us Avs fans dont talk about our prospects on the main boards very much. This kid is the best drafted prospect in the world right now.

Makar is a fair ways older then Boqvist and has more time to refine is offensive game. Boqvist looks better on offense then Makar did at 18 and Hughes did as well. Why I think Makar is number one is that he has the unquestioned best defensive game.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Makar is a fair ways older then Boqvist and has more time to refine is offensive game. Boqvist looks better on offense then Makar did at 18 and Hughes did as well. Why I think Makar is number one is that he has the unquestioned best defensive game.
Makar went from the Ajhl to Ncaa last season. He went to a poor program and helpeds make them a powerhouse. He focused alot on his all around game last season and its shown. Now hes piling on the points and likely is a Hobey Baker winner in his sophmore season. Will Butcher who won the Hobey in his 4th college season score 37 points in 43 games, than hit 44pts as an NHL rookie. Makar is at 40 pts in 33 games. And has a hell of a lot more talent, strength and skating.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Makar went from the Ajhl to Ncaa last season. He went to a poor program and helpeds make them a powerhouse. He focused alot on his all around game last season and its shown. Now hes piling on the points and likely is a Hobey Baker winner in his sophmore season. Will Butcher who won the Hobey in his 4th college season score 37 points in 43 games, than hit 44pts as an NHL rookie. Makar is at 40 pts in 33 games. And has a hell of a lot more talent, strength and skating.
Your ignoring one key part I said. I'm saying that Boqvist's and Hughes' offense is better then Makar's was at age 18.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Your ignoring one key part I said. I'm saying that Boqvist's and Hughes' offense is better then Makar's was at age 18.
Justify how Boqvist's offense was objectively better? And Hughes came up in the American Ushl/Undtp and played College teams and had arguably more experience than Makar. I think its neck and neck with Hughes and Makar. I don't think Boqvist's is in the same territory.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
No, but it's definitely a big factor. Especially with dmen more offensively minded.
My post above I think explains it. Makar was definitely the more raw when drafted. But we all expected that because he was coming from Jr A(AJHL). I don't know if you can just ignore what Makar has developed into and just expect Hughes and Boqvist to take the exact same leap because they are a year younger. Hughes and Makar could be debatable for a long time but I'm not sure Boqvist is in that tier.
The way I see it
Makar:Defensive IQ, Strength, Shot, better first steps(debatable)
Hughes: Slightly better Offensive IQ, Better agility and edges, More slippery

Its close.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Makar>>Boqvist>Hughes

Have a tough time seeing Hughes offense translate well to the NHL. Great skater but the spinning backhand passes through three guys just doesn't fly in the pro leagues.

Reactions: Spender

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Makar is going to be a total stud. I believe he'll be both the most dynamic offensively at the NHL level and specifically more defensively sound than either of the other 2 options. Skating, shot, creativity, compete.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary
Makar>>Boqvist>Hughes

Have a tough time seeing Hughes offense translate well to the NHL. Great skater but the spinning backhand passes through three guys just doesn't fly in the pro leagues.
That is super wishful thinking. I hope it doesn’t translate to the NHL level either but the chance that happens is about 5%. Everything I’ve seen and read about him screams top pairing offensive defenseman.

chewbaccaman

Aug 31, 2018
Seattle
That is super wishful thinking. I hope it doesn’t translate to the NHL level either but the chance that happens is about 5%. Everything I’ve seen and read about him screams top pairing offensive defenseman.
You hope it doesn't translate? Just cause he's a Canuck?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I wonder why Ty Smith isn't in this poll but Makar wins handily with Boqvist and Hughes tied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad