Quinn Hughes vs Cale Makar vs Adam Boqvist

Rank these 3 defensemen from the highest ceiling to the lowest ceiling.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I see value in the eye test, but I believe in stats far more, yes.

Figured from your list. Not gunna try to change your mind on that one, but I suspect that's where the disagreements folks are going to have with this take, will lie. As development is not linear...and so doesn't track very well when we're talking about specific cases rather than general trends, especially when we already know that one of these cases is unique...and because the tool gap causes many of us to have a lot more doubts about how Smith's #s will translate to the NHL...when he won't be facing CHL goalies any longer and will need to show more creativity in the final third to turn good transition play into good production...than we do about Makar's.

Reactions: Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Figured from your list. Not gunna try to change your mind on that one, but I suspect that's where the disagreements folks are going to have with this take, will lie. As development is not linear...and so doesn't track very well when we're talking about specific cases rather than general trends, especially when we already know that one of these cases is unique...and because the tool gap causes many of us to have a lot more doubts about how Smith's #s will translate to the NHL...when he won't be facing CHL goalies any longer and will need to show more creativity in the final third to turn good transition play into good production...than we do about Makar's.

As much as I'm sold on Ty Smith's offensive game and stats, it's his transition and defense that have me thinking the guy is further ahead of the rest. There are very few players in the world that the pace completely changes when a player is on the ice. The fact is the guy was doing that at the age of 17 being undersized in the WHL is just bonkers, let alone what he's doing now a year older.

I honestly believe the guy could've more than just handled top-4 comp & 1st PP in the NHL at 18 lol.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As much as I'm sold on Ty Smith's offensive game and stats, it's his transition and defense that have me thinking the guy is further ahead of the rest. There are very few players in the world that the pace completely changes when a player is on the ice. The fact is the guy was doing that at the age of 17 being undersized in the WHL is just bonkers, let alone what he's doing now a year older.

I honestly believe the guy could've more than just handled top-4 comp & 1st PP in the NHL at 18 lol.

I know some folks really love him and ultimately time will tell, but I'm not all that high on him. I see a fine middle pairing guy who transitions the puck well, but I don't see anything in his skillset that will standout in the NHL...which would limit his production & his defensive influence. In the vein of a Jonas Brodin; who's skating & intelligence let him do a fine job in the NHL at an early age, but who did not have the talent to ever become a true top pairing guy despite that early start.

Whereas Makar & Hughes have the talent/tools to be really special, albeit in different ways, even amongst NHLers.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

The bolded seems to perfectly encapsulate what Makar does. He's instant offense and creates it out of nowhere. If you get a chance watch him in the Final four. He was electric last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad