Quinn Hughes vs Cale Makar vs Adam Boqvist

Rank these 3 defensemen from the highest ceiling to the lowest ceiling.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Hughes and Makar are pretty close, with a slight edge to Hughes for the higher offensive ceiling. Boqvist is clearly third here.

I had the same thinking, except I chose Makar because he’d be better defensively and physically.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Makar > Hughes > Boqvist

Makar over Hughes for me because he has the same or slightly worse offensive potential. But he has a lot more potential in the defensive end than Hughes.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Hughes has a 1.14 PPG in his D+1 on a terrible team with no support.

Hard to vote against that unless you're biased.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Hughes has a 1.14 PPG in his D+1 on a terrible team with no support.

Hard to vote against that unless you're biased.

I’ve been unsure who I prefer between Hughes and Makar but I agree that Hughes’ production can be seen as a trump card. Incredibly impressive especially when you consider that he’s on a worse team and plays in a tougher conference.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Personally Makar would be number one, he has the best defensive game and his offense is pretty good as well. Boqvist is a good 10 months younger then Hughes and is putting comparable performances to Hughes at the same age. All three have great ceilings though I actually like Boqvist's more then Hughes, yes I'm Hawks fan but I think Boqvist's offensive tools are more rounded the Hughes. That being said both have a lot of development to go with their defensive game to go. I'll still go Makar number one as he is the most well rounded one.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Boqvist has a hockey skill edge on these two players, but he loses a speed skating competition, so this website ranks him third.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Boqvist has a hockey skill edge on these two players, but he loses a speed skating competition, so this website ranks him third.
Yeah the other two are faster skaters. As I said I think Boqvist has the best tools for offense. Its a shame that plays more of a factor then it should. Speed important but if you can't do anything with it (not implying Hughes or Makar can't) then that doesn't make someone a NHL level player. I simply think Boqvist has the best skill set for offense.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah the other two are faster skaters. As I said I think Boqvist has the best tools for offense. Its a shame that plays more of a factor then it should. Speed important but if you can't do anything with it (not implying Hughes or Makar can't) then that doesn't make someone a NHL level player. I simply think Boqvist has the best skill set for offense.

He’s also a very good skater, but not elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad