Confirmed with Link: Quinn Hughes signs 3-year entry level contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
This kid has way more pressure on him then Pettersson

No one was calling Petey a franchise C in his d+1, they all knew he was doing great but had no idea how to project him

Hughes on the other hand has been called everything from generational to franchise D to Norris winner by the casuals before even stepping on the ice

I’m rooting for the kid but the pressure to performs gonna be on

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I actually do like this idea and post a lot. Much respect here.

I would actually be behind this idea if it wasn’t for the fact that I think management really wants to see where Hughes is at relative to the NHL level. If Hughes is Zack Werenski-ish (in terms of overall level and caliber....this isn’t a stylistic comparison), then I believe that management will seriously consider letting Edler walk, while concerting their efforts in signing more UFA’s upfront.

I really think they want to see what Hughes can do at the NHL level right away, so that management can make more accurate and definitive plans in the offseason.

I do like your idea a lot though.
I think Werenski benefitted a lot from doing the AHL-playoff route instead of playing meaningless games on a bottom feeder. I also think that it would be good for Hughes confidence to play on an AHL team and play significant meaningful minutes. To me it would be better for Hughes to get the a lot games next preseason, to get up to NHL speed.

But I guess it is what is, this management group tend to be very scared that players is not completely satisfied and be extremely careful whenever they are negotiating.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I think Werenski benefitted a lot from doing the AHL-playoff route instead of playing meaningless games on a bottom feeder. I also think that it would be good for Hughes confidence to play on an AHL team and play significant meaningful minutes. To me it would be better for Hughes to get the a lot games next preseason, to get up to NHL speed.

But I guess it is what is, this management group tend to be very scared that players is not completely satisfied and be extremely careful whenever they are negotiating.

Werenski isn't on Quinn's level. He has nothing to learn in the AHL.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Oh dear god, stop this BS. Werenski is a very good player who scored close to 50 pts as a rookie, Hughes is not on some other level than that. Werenski is just as good.

Hughes was way better than Werenski at the same age in the same league.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
This kid has way more pressure on him then Pettersson

No one was calling Petey a franchise C in his d+1, they all knew he was doing great but had no idea how to project him

Hughes on the other hand has been called everything from generational to franchise D to Norris winner by the casuals before even stepping on the ice

I’m rooting for the kid but the pressure to performs gonna be on

Hughes is better than Pettersson

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Sounds like Lockwood would be spending the remainder of the season in Utica if he does turn pro which is the right decision.Benning later avoided the direct question about it but was talking about it just before when asked about the situation down there.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
No he wasn't . Weresnski was ppg as a 19 year old same with Hughes. And he also put up 14 pts in 17 games in the AHL playoffs.

Hughes was better than a PPG player and if they included OT points he would’ve been even better because he got robbed of some points.

On top of that Werenski played on a very strong team in the NCAA. Hughes played on a much weaker team.

I take Hughes’ super elite skating to put him in a different league than Werenski.

Just think about it like this... the Canucks just added a top 5 skater yesterday. That changes the look of a team when Hughes is on the ice. Just watch, he will be a generational talent.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
The drama over expansion protection is so silly to me.

We're going to lose a good player no matter what because ALL teams are going to lose a good player. It's how the expansion process was set up. It's why the teams pay a huge huge fee to get into the league.

You just have to have faith in your system of drafting and development to offset these kind of losses which I do and think it's supremely warranted to trust our scouts.
I hope this was sarcasm. The difference between the 4th and 5th skater on your depth chart can be franchise changingly huge. You do whatever you need to do to protect that depth. There is no counter argument to this.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
If you think Hughes is going to step in this week and singlehandedly change the look of this team, you deserve a mismanaged dumpster fire of a hockey team. End of story.

I'd like to see any sort of metric to suggest Quinn Hughes is

1) better than Zach Werenski
2) better than Elias Pettersson(????)
3) tracking to be a generational defenseman

Back up these harebrained claims with metrics, please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Werenski is also 6'2" and 210 lbs while Hughes is nearly the smallest defender in the league.

This is actually a point in Hughes’ favour.

If Hughes was also 6’2” he would’ve been even more dominant. The fact that Hughes has outpaced Werenski’s developmental production while giving up a massive size disadvantage shows he has the better abilities.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I hope this was sarcasm. The difference between the 4th and 5th skater on your depth chart can be franchise changingly huge. You do whatever you need to do to protect that depth. There is no counter argument to this.

We aren’t taking about the 4th and 5th skater we’re likely talking about losing the 10th-11th best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad