Confirmed with Link: Quinn Hughes signs 3-year entry level contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I would sit pouliot for Hughes and tanev replaces biega.

Edler stecher
Tanev Hughes
Sautner Schenn

Next year.

Edler Hughes
Karlsson tanev
Stecher sautner

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The only other teams that have are Ottawa and Florida as far as I can tell, and they’re not exactly model organizations.
It happened last season with Donato, Terry and Greenway, but I guess those are not 1st rounders if that was the criteria. And also, there's an argument to be made that all these teams thought these 3 players would help them in the playoffs, and they were brought to NHL because of that. No such thing here with the Canucks once again being in MeaninglessMarch.

Burning the first year also happened this season with Comtois, he was sent to juniors after playing his 10th game.

But yes there's been several highly touted prospects who have come out of college and went to finish the year in AHL like Larkin, Werenski and Kunin so that those teams could have 3 full ELC years. Werenski had a big playoff run in AHL too as Columbus farm won the championship that year.

Please explain how a year is burned before he's played 1 game, let alone 9 or 10?
Hughes is considered a 20 year old because he turns 20 this calendar year. This means he's not eligible for contract slide. So the first year was burned yesterday when he signed the NHL contract.

For example Zadina is also a late birthday and turns 20 years this calendar, but he IS eligible for slide because he signed his contract last calendar year and was considered a 19 year old. His contract will slide as long as he plays 9 games or fewer in the NHL.

However, and this is where things get weird, for expansion draft purposes, I believe Hughes is not considered a 20 year old. If he was (like Lockwood is), playing just 1 game would make him eligible for the draft. He is considered 18/19 year old for that, so he needs to play 11 games.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
a lot of positives

-he is signed
-he gets a look at his readiness
-team gets a look at his readiness
-as a fan we get a look at him

to my mind it's no different development-wise than any other top draft pick getting a cup of coffee d+1

on the contract front, assuming they don't burn his expansion protection, which seems very unlikely, burning an elc year seems like a pretty common league move dating back to gaudreau. the canucks are maybe stuck with the precedent they established coaxing other ncaa athletes with more options than hughes, but that is show business. this team is not in a position to play hardball with anybody.

as for pairings, i will say they might dress 7 and spot him in on ozone draws.

Reactions: alternate

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The notion that we dont sign Hughes and wait till next year to prevent his ELC from ending a year earlier is idiotic. This is pretty common place for top NCAA players these days.

The organization needs to see where he is at, create hype/hope for next season and its also historically a players 3rd NHL season where they make a substantial leap in numbers and play...would you rather pay for the sophomore slump year or the 3rd year where he puts it all together?

The only thing at play here is that they keep his games below the threshold for expansion protection, other than that lets get this started and i'm looking forward to having a elite talent on the back end.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The drama over expansion protection is so silly to me.

We're going to lose a good player no matter what because ALL teams are going to lose a good player. It's how the expansion process was set up. It's why the teams pay a huge huge fee to get into the league.

You just have to have faith in your system of drafting and development to offset these kind of losses which I do and think it's supremely warranted to trust our scouts.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Normally I would complain but in the last several years it's basically seen as a bonus for the player and a way from preventing them from doing the four year FA thing.

I think he has a long way to go in the NHL though. Hope to be wrong about that, but I suspect I won't be.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I would sit pouliot for Hughes and tanev replaces biega.

Edler stecher
Tanev Hughes
Sautner Schenn

Next year.

Edler Hughes
Karlsson tanev
Stecher sautner
Tanev and Karlsson are both rhd perhaps
Edler Karlsson
Hughes Tanev
Hutton Stetcher
May work better

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
The drama over expansion protection is so silly to me.

We're going to lose a good player no matter what because ALL teams are going to lose a good player. It's how the expansion process was set up. It's why the teams pay a huge huge fee to get into the league.

You just have to have faith in your system of drafting and development to offset these kind of losses which I do and think it's supremely warranted to trust our scouts.
Please review the last 4 years of this team’s performance and get back to us.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No problem burning the first year of his ELC off. I think it's actually a good thing. He gets a true first hand account of the NHL game and sets him up for a summer of training (hopefully on the right things).

I will have a problem if he plays more than 10 games and they lose his expansion draft exemption status.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
It's easier to replace a 3rd line forward than a 2nd-pair defenseman. So if your top defenseman doesn't require protection, that's a bonus. Look at the hoops the Jets and Wild jumped through to hang on to Trouba, Morrissey and Dumba. And I'm sure that Anaheim wishes they still had Theodore.

President of Hockey

Aug 13, 2016
Please review the last 4 years of this team’s performance and get back to us.

Or simply look at the last expansion draft. Canucks protected Edler, Tanev and Gudbranson. If we had a Hughes-like prospect at that time and needed to protect him only because of management incompetency, we had maybe lost Guddy instead of Sbisa. Ok, bad example :naughty:
But still relevant :laugh:

Reactions: pgj98m3 and xtra

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I don't think Hughes is actually bad defensively. He obviously doesn't have the strength right now to battle hard in front of the net, but his skating and vision make him a dream transition defenseman that can easily hold his own at the NHL level.

His major flaw right now is he plays an incredibly risky style of play, and he can often get himself into bad spots. To improve on this, he just needs time to grow at the NHL level. He needs to take risks, get burned, and learn what risks he can take and when.

Playing against inferior competition isn't going to help him at this point.

I'm just too impatient. I would love to see Boqvist play on the Hawks next season because he is so dynamic offensively. There even seemed to be some consideration of him making the Hawks out of training camp this season to see how he did for a few games before sending him down to London, which was finally decided against but that's how good he looked in training camp and preseason games. It was probably the right move then and it will probably be the right move to get another year at a lower tier. Hopefully Hughes comes in and isn't overwhelmed by the NHL and gets started on a great career.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Or we could play him in the AHL, and maybe the AHL playoffs. Instead of playing 9 meaningless games on a bottom feeder.
I would have preferred if he had sign an amateur try out instead. Playing meaningful AHL-games would be as beneficial for his development as playing 9 games here.

I actually do like this idea and post a lot. Much respect here.

I would actually be behind this idea if it wasn’t for the fact that I think management really wants to see where Hughes is at relative to the NHL level. If Hughes is Zack Werenski-ish (in terms of overall level and caliber....this isn’t a stylistic comparison), then I believe that management will seriously consider letting Edler walk, while concerting their efforts in signing more UFA’s upfront.

I really think they want to see what Hughes can do at the NHL level right away, so that management can make more accurate and definitive plans in the offseason.

I do like your idea a lot though.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Or simply look at the last expansion draft. Canucks protected Edler, Tanev and Gudbranson. If we had a Hughes-like prospect at that time and needed to protect him only because of management incompetency, we had maybe lost Guddy instead of Sbisa. Ok, bad example :naughty:
But still relevant :laugh:
If the canucks only have two defensemen worth protecting on top of Hughes in two years, that'll be horrifying.

Reactions: lindgren

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
It happened last season with Donato, Terry and Greenway, but I guess those are not 1st rounders if that was the criteria. And also, there's an argument to be made that all these teams thought these 3 players would help them in the playoffs, and they were brought to NHL because of that. No such thing here with the Canucks once again being in MeaninglessMarch.

Burning the first year also happened this season with Comtois, he was sent to juniors after playing his 10th game.

But yes there's been several highly touted prospects who have come out of college and went to finish the year in AHL like Larkin, Werenski and Kunin so that those teams could have 3 full ELC years. Werenski had a big playoff run in AHL too as Columbus farm won the championship that year.

Hughes is considered a 20 year old because he turns 20 this calendar year. This means he's not eligible for contract slide. So the first year was burned yesterday when he signed the NHL contract.

For example Zadina is also a late birthday and turns 20 years this calendar, but he IS eligible for slide because he signed his contract last calendar year and was considered a 19 year old. His contract will slide as long as he plays 9 games or fewer in the NHL.

However, and this is where things get weird, for expansion draft purposes, I believe Hughes is not considered a 20 year old. If he was (like Lockwood is), playing just 1 game would make him eligible for the draft. He is considered 18/19 year old for that, so he needs to play 11 games.

Ryan Biech, is that you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad