Confirmed with Link: Quinn Hughes signs 3-year entry level contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
It's absolutely hilarious that some posters think that the Canucks would play Hughes in 11 of the last 12 games and not have the expansion draft exemption. It shows the arrogance of a bunch of armchair GM's that are clueless of how an NHL team is managed. Not only that, he's coming off an injury and probably won't play right away. Without a doubt they will claim that was the only reason they didn't .

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
It's absolutely hilarious that some posters think that the Canucks would play Hughes in 11 of the last 12 games and not have the expansion draft exemption. It shows the arrogance of a bunch of armchair GM's that are clueless of how an NHL team is managed. Not only that, he's coming off an injury and probably won't play right away. Without a doubt they will claim that was the only reason they didn't .
Excuse me? All signs pointed to the Canucks doing exactly that. Why the disrespect for people who can put 2+2 together?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Excuse me? All signs pointed to the Canucks doing exactly that. Why the disrespect for people who can put 2+2 together?

Nah there was no signs of that. Just pessimistic the world is going to end fans. Others were thrilled for signing and weren't jumping into conclusions.

Imagine spending days maybe weeks getting worked up over something that wasnt/didnt happen.

Sad really. Oh well, on to something else to complain about next week.

Reactions: Nomobo

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
An undersized kid coming into this toxic dumpster fire who's starting his NHL career coming off an injury into a position that takes years to learn at this level.

Yeah, this is going to go well.
His only saving grace is that they traded Erik.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Nah there was no signs of that. Just pessimistic the world is going to end fans. Others were thrilled for signing and weren't jumping into conclusions.

Imagine spending days maybe weeks getting worked up over something that wasnt/didnt happen.

Sad really. Oh well, on to something else to complain about next week.
Do you honestly think this

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm not hating on Hughes in any way. He has arguably the most impressive pedigree of a Canucks prospect in my memory. But he's being put into a situation where I can't see much positive coming out of this.

I look at it this way with these high profile kids (like Boeser before him). They are only in town for a month. They are running on pure adrenaline and are on a "I'm a pro!" high. The toxicity won't really affect them. The season ends and they get to leave town with the knowledge of what they truly need to do to be successful in the NHL. So I'm not too worried about it. I think it helps these guys moving forward.

The only thing is making sure the front office knows that when they run out of fingers counting his games played they can't take their shoes off and use the toes.

They seem to know that but the way they express things is so weird. What was it "From an organizational standpoint we are going to look at the that and do what we can to safeguard against it". Why not just say we plan on playing him in up to 10 games. He will not play more.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Even though I'm up there among the biggest Benning critics on the planet, I genuinely don't think they're stupid enough to play him beyond nine games.

Then again, I didn't think they were stupid enough to burn a 2nd round pick for 20 games of Hamhuis. So to quote one of the greatest, YMMV.

My main complaint is mainly from an organizational and development stand point. An undersized kid is being hyped as the Second Coming of Christ by our pond scum media in a desperate attempt to hypnotize the r/canucks demographic of the fanbase from this idiot management just wasting yet another year of our lives in this biblical plague groundhogs' day. If he comes in and looks like Juolevi or if some vet spears him in the balls and gives a concussion as a welcome to the league ala' Pettersson, that's liable to stunt this kid's development. And why should all this pressure be on this kid in the first place?

I listened to Canucks Central last night expecting to hear them tear into everything after the Canucks got shellacked by Vegas and everything just looks f***ed with this organization as it does around this time of year every year. And they spent the entire show hyping Hughes while only casually mentioning the Vegas game once.

As a long time Canucks fan, this has a lot of classic tropes for disaster.

Last edited:
Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Even though I'm up there as the biggest Benning critic on the planet, I genuinely don't think they're stupid enough to play him beyond nine games.

Then again, I didn't think they were stupid enough to burn a 2nd round pick for 20 games of Hamhuis. So to quote one of the greatest, YMMV.

My main complaint is mainly from an organizational and development stand point. An undersized kid is being hyped as the Second Coming of Christ by our pond scum media in a desperate attempt to hypnotize the r/canucks demographic of the fanbase that this idiot management just wasted yet another year of our lives in this biblical plague groundhogs' day. If he comes in and looks like Juolevi or if some vet spears him in the balls and gives a concussion as a welcome to the league ala' Pettersson, that's liable to stunt this kid's development. And why should all this pressure be on this kid in the first place?

I listened to Canucks Central last night expecting to hear them tear into everything after the Canucks got shellacked by Vegas and everything just looks ****ed with this organization as it does around this time of year every year. And they spent the entire show hyping Hughes while only casually mentioning the Vegas game once.

As a long time Canucks fan, this has a lot of classic tropes for disaster.

i guess the flip side of your experience, is those of us who flip to the hughes discussion thread looking for hughes discussion only to find yet another hot take on how much everything about the canucks sucks and hughes is part of it.

i do also find it weird that all the tank fans are so upset at this time of year about the current state of the team to the point they cannot separate the on ice product from a major prospect signing. the team right now is what everyone expected it to be and what tankers wanted it to be. we will get higher draft picks. and for that matter, hughes is a high draft pick. which you wanted if you are tank nation. and he was not a particularly controversial pick. so why dump on the guy's shortcomings and turn him into another soapbox to attack benning from before he ever plays a game?

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
i guess the flip side of your experience, is those of us who flip to the hughes discussion thread looking for hughes discussion only to find yet another hot take on how much everything about the canucks sucks and hughes is part of it.

i do also find it weird that all the tank fans are so upset at this time of year about the current state of the team to the point they cannot separate the on ice product from a major prospect signing. the team right now is what everyone expected it to be and what tankers wanted it to be. we will get higher draft picks. and for that matter, hughes is a high draft pick. which you wanted if you are tank nation. and he was not a particularly controversial pick. so why dump on the guy's shortcomings and turn him into another soapbox to attack benning from before he ever plays a game?

Because I would like him to reach his full potential and not watch a 5'10 170 pound kid coming off an injury that will slow him down being thrown into a shark tank against men with a rabid media and fanbase who will swell the pressure to suffocating for him.

The point is to get high draft picks and have them succeed.

Reactions: daddyohsix

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I look at it this way with these high profile kids (like Boeser before him). They are only in town for a month. They are running on pure adrenaline and are on a "I'm a pro!" high. The toxicity won't really affect them. The season ends and they get to leave town with the knowledge of what they truly need to do to be successful in the NHL. So I'm not too worried about it. I think it helps these guys moving forward.

The only thing is making sure the front office knows that when they run out of fingers counting his games played they can't take their shoes off and use the toes.

They seem to know that but the way they express things is so weird. What was it "From an organizational standpoint we are going to look at the that and do what we can to safeguard against it". Why not just say we plan on playing him in up to 10 games. He will not play more.

Communicationing things and stuff is hard!

Signings and Trades are too!

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I dont think so?
Hughes would be 21 as a 99 born by his free agency which would allow him to sign a max bonus deal for 2ys at around 4 million per.
If you think the team holds the cards and can push these guys around your crazy.
His RFA deal comes a couple years earlier he makes 3.5 roughly in the meantime but the RFA at 21 for 6-8yrs vs one at 23 could actually see him make less per anum as the 23yr old deal would be getting paid for max production typically. If the player is really good you burn a year and re sign as long as possible after his sophomore slump year not play Russian roulette and piss off a player who then walks for nothing.
They absolutely did the right thing here

I didn't say and have never said that they did the wrong thing by signing him this year.

The post to which I had responded, had suggested that the team needed to sign Hughes this year or he might stay in college and ultimately walk away, and mentioned Brian Burke's comment about Gaudreau. That was the point of discussion.

Regarding your claim that Hughes could sign a 2-year deal -- Hughes could not walk away from the Canucks until at least August 15, 2021 as per the CBA rules for college players. If he played his remaining two years in college and then signed with another team in 2021, his age as of Sept 15 that calendar year would still be 21, i.e., his First SPC Signing Age as defined in section 9.2 of the CBA. And section 9.1 has a table that shows very clearly that players who are considered 21 by that measurement are subject to a 3-year ELC. He would have to sit out until January 2022 to sign a 2-year ELC.

When the Flames signed Gaudreau, he was one year from being able to walk. Plus, Gaudreau would've been considered 22 for First SPC Signing Age if he had waited until the following year to sign, which would've meant that he would've been subject only to a 2-year ELC. Very different scenario.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Desperate attempt by Benning to save his job by showing fans, media and Aquaman hope for next season.

Hughes better be 100% healthy before playing his first game, hopefully the kid lights it up!

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Because I would like him to reach his full potential and not watch a 5'10 170 pound kid coming off an injury that will slow him down being thrown into a shark tank against men with a rabid media and fanbase who will swell the pressure to suffocating for him.

The point is to get high draft picks and have them succeed.

my take is that putting on the machiavelli hat, this is a smart signing even if hughes is not ready and the team knows it.

you sign hughes right now and play him even if your scouting expectation is he is not ready and you fully expect to have to persuade him to hit the ahl next year. if he is going to hit a wall, it is much better to sign him and let him see that wall for himself now than wait until next fall where training camp could leave doubts, and roster waiver considerations could make giving him a cup of coffee more tricky.

when you spend a high draft pick on a player heading to the ncaa a main goal is to get him signed. this player adds to the impetus for that by having a year of ncaa eligibility played through before the draft. there is absolutely no way i'd let this athlete spend another year in the ncaa if i could help it to the point i would not risk planting the seed of that idea by telling him he's not ready.

and there are other reasons.

he does not have much to prove on a bad ncaa team and he is at risk of bad habits or stagnation trying to carry such a team. it's definitely not setting him up to succeed.

he stated publicly he wanted to sign last summer and then drew out the decision. some combination of team and agent advice made him hold off, but you know he wants to sign now and play now and that saying no to him would piss him off.

you also know he has a more highly touted brother about to be drafted, signed and likely play in the nhl next fall. if you ever had a competitive brother, you can infer quinn likely badly wants to beat him to the nhl and if you say no to the guy you risk really pissing him off.

and you also know he wants to play with his brother and has that option in 2 years as a ufa. so if you tell him he is too small right now and needs another year so you want him to take an ahl ato, then he is going to see the choice next year as ahl vs ncaa, and he will pretty quickly come down to the conclusion he may as well stick with the nicer facilities in michigan near his family and keep the option of becoming a ufa open. at which point he is only one year away from ufa, and his brother may have completed a rookie year on another team in awesome situation for quinn.

so you sign him now and you play him and then you either celebrate or you pick up the pieces.

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
I dont think so?
Hughes would be 21 as a 99 born by his free agency which would allow him to sign a max bonus deal for 2ys at around 4 million per.
If you think the team holds the cards and can push these guys around your crazy.
His RFA deal comes a couple years earlier he makes 3.5 roughly in the meantime but the RFA at 21 for 6-8yrs vs one at 23 could actually see him make less per anum as the 23yr old deal would be getting paid for max production typically. If the player is really good you burn a year and re sign as long as possible after his sophomore slump year not play Russian roulette and piss off a player who then walks for nothing.
They absolutely did the right thing here

Let's put it this way: Hughes, if he had the fortitude to wait two years due to being "pissed off" due to having to wait two months to sign an NHL contract, would be five years away from signing his second contract, versus the three years (plus two months) had the Canucks bothered waiting.

That being said, if Hughes was insistent on being paid for whatever was left of this season, there is no AHL salary cap. What the Canucks could, and probably should, have done was offer Hughes an AHL contract that would match what an NHL rookie would earn, prorated, for whatever was left of this season (they probably should have done the same for Boeser). Use a signing bonus as an incentive.

The Canucks had options. They chose a poor one.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
my take is that putting on the machiavelli hat, this is a smart signing even if hughes is not ready and the team knows it.

you sign hughes right now and play him even if your scouting expectation is he is not ready and you fully expect to have to persuade him to hit the ahl next year. if he is going to hit a wall, it is much better to sign him and let him see that wall for himself now than wait until next fall where training camp could leave doubts, and roster waiver considerations could make giving him a cup of coffee more tricky.

when you spend a high draft pick on a player heading to the ncaa a main goal is to get him signed. this player adds to the impetus for that by having a year of ncaa eligibility played through before the draft. there is absolutely no way i'd let this athlete spend another year in the ncaa if i could help it to the point i would not risk planting the seed of that idea by telling him he's not ready.

and there are other reasons.

he does not have much to prove on a bad ncaa team and he is at risk of bad habits or stagnation trying to carry such a team. it's definitely not setting him up to succeed.

he stated publicly he wanted to sign last summer and then drew out the decision. some combination of team and agent advice made him hold off, but you know he wants to sign now and play now and that saying no to him would piss him off.

you also know he has a more highly touted brother about to be drafted, signed and likely play in the nhl next fall. if you ever had a competitive brother, you can infer quinn likely badly wants to beat him to the nhl and if you say no to the guy you risk really pissing him off.

and you also know he wants to play with his brother and has that option in 2 years as a ufa. so if you tell him he is too small right now and needs another year so you want him to take an ahl ato, then he is going to see the choice next year as ahl vs ncaa, and he will pretty quickly come down to the conclusion he may as well stick with the nicer facilities in michigan near his family and keep the option of becoming a ufa open. at which point he is only one year away from ufa, and his brother may have completed a rookie year on another team in awesome situation for quinn.

so you sign him now and you play him and then you either celebrate or you pick up the pieces.

Too bad he missed the Vegas game. That would be some quality development there.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
How about we just wait for a few seasons and enjoy the ride of these young fellas before we start expecting them to over or underachieve.

I mean, Bo, Brock, EP, Jake, Quinn, Thatcher and others are going to provide us with years of ups and down but let's just enjoy it for a few years before freaking out.

It's nice to want to watch Canucks games again.

I haven't gone through too much of the thread but I really don't see anyone "freaking out" here. It's entirely prudent to have a bit of caution on our expectations with Hughes, you would normally do this with every prospect but it's especially relevant to the Canucks now after we've had Boeser and Pettersson back to back. You're just not going to get a Calder nominee-level rookie every season.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Lol it’s funny seeing the fan base argue the level of stupidity of Canucks management. As Dumb as Dim is, he won’t play Hughes more than 10 games.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Desperate attempt by Benning to save his job by showing fans, media and Aquaman hope for next season.

Hughes better be 100% healthy before playing his first game, hopefully the kid lights it up!

Are u suggesting that if Benning wasnt in the hot seat then he wouldnt have signed Hughes this yr ?

I dont understand what the desperate attempt is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad