Confirmed with Link: Quinn Hughes signs 3-year entry level contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If you think Hughes is going to step in this week and singlehandedly change the look of this team, you are an absolute fool who deserves a mismanaged dumpster fire of a hockey team. End of story.

I'd like to see any sort of metric to suggest Quinn Hughes is

1) better than Zach Werenski
2) better than Elias Pettersson(????)
3) tracking to be a generational defenseman

Back up these harebrained claims with metrics, please.

why does he need metrics to have subjective opinions?

but since you are setting exams for posters as a condition of them having opinions, here's a response:

1. there's definitely an argument hughes is much better at offence than werenski was. both players were ppg in the ncaa but hughes clearly had less to work with and was far more important offensively to his ncaa team than werenski was. hughes led his ncaa team in scoring. kyle connor had twice the points werenski did, and two other players outpointed werenski by 20 points. werenski's michigan team had it going on enough to make tyler motte look like a phenom.

2. i have no idea why this poster likes hughes better than pettersson but where do metrics come into that? it's not insane to think that he could be better. if you get in a time machine back to the end of pettersson's d+1 season so as to compare apples to apples, hughes looks fairly competitive to pettersson as a prospect. they are two skinny highly touted guys who have excelled in other leagues, who have shown unusual elite too good to be true skills, and who people doubted/doubt are big enough for the nhl. pettersson is way ahead on trophies but he also played on a championship team full of men where they were able to gradually break him in, playing him on the wing most of the season. i am not going to count out hughes after a season where he went ppg as an 18- 19 year old dman with the offence opf an ncaa team on his shoulders and when his best forward was will lockwood.

3. hughes being projected as generational obviously rests on the eyetest that he shows unique elite gamechanging skill at every level he's played. i am not sure how you provide a "metric" for that. if you're asking for point production to prove it, i guess i would say that he has scored everywhere.

for me, i am very curious to see whether he gets squashed like a bug or is a stunning elite offensive d-player in the nhl. i think both are entirely possible up to and including being worse than pouliot or better than pettersson.

can't wait to see. in the meantime, i like rmb's wildeyed goofy optimism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nomobo

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
firstly, isn't calling a poster an absolute fool for having the opinions he just stated he holds flaming him and against the rules? it does seem like you are criticizing the person not the argument.

and second, why does he need metrics to have subjective opinions?

but since you are setting exams for posters as a condition of them having opinions, here's a response:

1. there's definitely an argument hughes is much better at offence than werenski was. both players were ppg in the ncaa but hughes clearly had less to work with and was far more important offensively to his ncaa team than werenski was. hughes led his ncaa team in scoring. kyle connor had twice the points werenski did, and two other players outpointed werenski by 20 points. werenski's michigan team had it going on enough to make tyler motte look like a phenom.

2. i have no idea why this poster likes hughes better than pettersson but where do metrics come into that? it's not insane to think that he could be better. if you get in a time machine back to the end of pettersson's d+1 season so as to compare apples to apples, hughes looks fairly competitive to pettersson as a prospect. they are two skinny highly touted guys who have excelled in other leagues, who have shown unusual elite too good to be true skills, and who people doubted/doubt are big enough for the nhl. pettersson is way ahead on trophies but he also played on a championship team full of men where they were able to gradually break him in, playing him on the wing most of the season. i am not going to count out hughes after a season where he went ppg as an 18- 19 year old dman with the offence opf an ncaa team on his shoulders and when his best forward was will lockwood.

3. hughes being projected as generational obviously rests on the eyetest that he shows unique elite gamechanging skill at every level he's played. i am not sure how you provide a "metric" for that. if you're asking for point production to prove it, i guess i would say that he has scored everywhere.

for me, i am very curious to see whether he gets squashed like a bug or is a stunning elite offensive d-player in the nhl. i think both are entirely possible up to and including being worse than pouliot or better than pettersson.

can't wait to see. in the meantime, i like rmb's wildeyed goofy optimism.

Hughes D+1 was very good, Pettersson's was otherworldy, Hughes isn't close on that front.

Werenksi is a decent comparison, I think Hughes shades him offensively.

The question with Hughes is will he be able to play the skate it out game at NHL level that he plays at college. In many of the college games he seems to have carte blanche to do what he wants. In some games I've seen he was stripped multiple times 1 on 1 when he's the last man back trying to skate it out, either he wasn't paying attention or he overestimated his ability. An NHL coach will throw a fit every time he gets stripped, he will be benched, and start playing a "safe" game which may end up being a less effective or dynamic game for him. How he modifies his game and how the NHL coaches modify his game is going to be interesting.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
It absolutely is better given the context that Boeser’s team was stacked and Hughes’ team stunk. Plus Hughes is a defenseman and Boeser is a forward.

Boeser and Pettersson both were the best players on the eventual championship-winning team in their +1's and both managed to score at a higher clip than in their draft year despite moving to much harder leagues. Boeser also was in a way better conference than Hughes. They were clearly standing out significantly right away. Not to mention neither of them are even close to as undersized as Hughes.

Hughes just produced slightly better on the exact same team. It's not like it was bad but it was pretty normal or slightly above-average for a Top 10 pick.

Still has some defensive issues and his main issue is that he attempts to do way too much on the rush at times.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Hughes was better than a PPG player and if they included OT points he would’ve been even better because he got robbed of some points.

On top of that Werenski played on a very strong team in the NCAA. Hughes played on a much weaker team.

I take Hughes’ super elite skating to put him in a different league than Werenski.

Just think about it like this... the Canucks just added a top 5 skater yesterday. That changes the look of a team when Hughes is on the ice. Just watch, he will be a generational talent.
Pump the brakes a bit.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

406in604

Mar 4, 2019
How about we just wait for a few seasons and enjoy the ride of these young fellas before we start expecting them to over or underachieve.

I mean, Bo, Brock, EP, Jake, Quinn, Thatcher and others are going to provide us with years of ups and down but let's just enjoy it for a few years before freaking out.

It's nice to want to watch Canucks games again.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I don't think he'll play Wednesday. I think they're telling the truth when they say they won't play him until he's 100%, and apparently he's still limping around.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Hughes D+1 was very good, Pettersson's was otherworldy, Hughes isn't close on that front.

Werenksi is a decent comparison, I think Hughes shades him offensively.

The question with Hughes is will he be able to play the skate it out game at NHL level that he plays at college. In many of the college games he seems to have carte blanche to do what he wants. In some games I've seen he was stripped multiple times 1 on 1 when he's the last man back trying to skate it out, either he wasn't paying attention or he overestimated his ability. An NHL coach will throw a fit every time he gets stripped, he will be benched, and start playing a "safe" game which may end up being a less effective or dynamic game for him. How he modifies his game and how the NHL coaches modify his game is going to be interesting.

i agree.

he seems smart and coachable enough not to try that in the nhl but his game has to translate somehow. interesting times.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I don't think he'll play Wednesday. I think they're telling the truth when they say they won't play him until he's 100%, and apparently he's still limping around.

If he misses a few games because of that it might be enough to protect this management from itself. I'm glad Hughes is signed and that he gets a chance to test the league and we get to witness that. I also don't have much faith that they're smart enough to play him less than 11 games placing the franchise in a more favourable position come the expansion draft.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Jimbo burning a year of his ELC just to try and keep his job.
Nope, that's not it at all. Brian Burke explained it last Saturday. It's a bargaining chip by the player agent and if the GM doesn't oblige, they risk losing him for nothing. Good move by JB.

Reactions: kaczor47

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nope, that's not it at all. Brian Burke explained it last Saturday. It's a bargaining chip by the player agent and if the GM doesn't oblige, they risk losing him for nothing. Good move by JB.

Pressure is now on Hughes as he only has 2 years to impress on the ice to earn a long term contract which every player coming out of ELC hopes to get. Look at some of this year's upcoming RFA class. If they had to sign contracts after only 2 full years what would they have gotten this past summer? Aho put up 65 points last season. He's on pace for high 80's, a 20 plus point improvement.

Brock has a good PPG pace, but he hasn't been able to remain healthy. Mittlestadt burned his ELC last season and so far his rookie year is 21 points in 64 games. He's going to need a monster season next year to do anything other than a bridge. Even a jump to a solid 50 plus point season likely won't secure the term for the cap hit he would like.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

And Benning has no poker face, that's why he caves to agents.

All agents know Time Value of Money. Like they are going to advise their client, who pays them to turn down a contract, and instead wait more than 2 years before they sign the exact same entry level contract.

Give me a break.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Hughes was two years from being able to walk away and would still have to sign a 3-year ELC if he remained in college and signed two years from now. Chances of him doing that: almost zero.

Burke mentioned Gaudreau; different circumstance. Gaudreau was a year from being able to walk away and he also would've been able to sign a 2-year ELC instead of a 3-year ELC if he had waited a year, so the trade-off would be a year of ELC money vs freedom to pick his team. Still not likely but there is a chance that a guy might do that.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I think the best we can hope for is a Tyson Barrie level of defenseman. The talk of Orr and Leetch and other hall of famers is ludicrous.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hughes was two years from being able to walk away and would still have to sign a 3-year ELC if he remained in college and signed two years from now. Chances of him doing that: almost zero.

Burke mentioned Gaudreau; different circumstance. Gaudreau was a year from being able to walk away and he also would've been able to sign a 2-year ELC instead of a 3-year ELC if he had waited a year, so the trade-off would be a year of ELC money vs freedom to pick his team. Still not likely but there is a chance that a guy might do that.
I dont think so?
Hughes would be 21 as a 99 born by his free agency which would allow him to sign a max bonus deal for 2ys at around 4 million per.
If you think the team holds the cards and can push these guys around your crazy.
His RFA deal comes a couple years earlier he makes 3.5 roughly in the meantime but the RFA at 21 for 6-8yrs vs one at 23 could actually see him make less per anum as the 23yr old deal would be getting paid for max production typically. If the player is really good you burn a year and re sign as long as possible after his sophomore slump year not play Russian roulette and piss off a player who then walks for nothing.
They absolutely did the right thing here

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I’ve made no bones about it since draft day. I wanted Hughes. My favourite prospect last year outside of Dahlin. We all know the profile; freakishly good skater, great IQ, great puck mover. He’s exactly what the Canucks need. No, he doesn’t have a good shot. Yes, he’s small. But I’m curious to see if he changes how the Canucks look. Our transition game has been woeful recently and that’s Quinn’s bread and butter (buttered on both sides, that’s how bread and buttery it is).

It’s unrealistic to expect him to come in and change the way the Canucks look, the way they play, but I think that’s exactly what he does. I’m super high on him, have been since I first watched him. I’m really excited to see what he can do.

That said, if he’s not ready, I don’t think it’s the end of the world. I do think he’s ready though. Think he could’ve played at the start of the year and done okay.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Pressure is now on Hughes as he only has 2 years to impress on the ice to earn a long term contract which every player coming out of ELC hopes to get. Look at some of this year's upcoming RFA class. If they had to sign contracts after only 2 full years what would they have gotten this past summer? Aho put up 65 points last season. He's on pace for high 80's, a 20 plus point improvement.

Brock has a good PPG pace, but he hasn't been able to remain healthy. Mittlestadt burned his ELC last season and so far his rookie year is 21 points in 64 games. He's going to need a monster season next year to do anything other than a bridge. Even a jump to a solid 50 plus point season likely won't secure the term for the cap hit he would like.

That logic is backwards.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
An undersized kid coming into this toxic dumpster fire who's starting his NHL career coming off an injury into a position that takes years to learn at this level.

Yeah, this is going to go well.

Last edited:
Reactions: daddyohsix

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
An undersized kid coming into this toxic dumpster fire who's starting his NHL career coming off an injury into a position that takes year to learn at this level.

Yeah, this is going to go well.

Quite possibly. Still at least gives another reason to watch these last games considering that Petey has slowed down and the team is seriously struggling.

I'm just hoping the kid doesn't get further injured in his brief stint this year.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I'm not hating on Hughes in any way. He has arguably the most impressive pedigree of a Canucks prospect in my memory. But he's being put into a situation where I can't see much positive coming out of this.

Last edited:

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Hughes-Stecher is hilariously small.
Hughes-Pouliot is cruelty.

It has to be Hughes-Schenn doesn't it if Tanev is out, unless he's playing Edler-Hughes.

I think Saunter-Schenn has been our best pairing since the trade deadline but in my mind Luke Schenn would be an ideal teammate to break Hughes in with. A very smooth defensively capable minute eating veteran who also was a high draft pick in a Canadian market and can defensively cover Hughes' inevitable rookie gaffs.

It'll be interesting to see what Saunter looks like without Schenn.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I think Saunter-Schenn has been our best pairing since the trade deadline but in my mind Luke Schenn would be an ideal teammate to break Hughes in with. A very smooth defensively capable minute eating veteran who also was a high draft pick in a Canadian market and can defensively cover Hughes' inevitable rookie gaffs.

It'll be interesting to see what Saunter looks like without Schenn.

Probably out of our healthy RHD he is the closest to the ideal described by his coach Pearson and others as a good partner for Hughes. Steady vet who can calm Quinn down in his own end.

I mean that's assuming Schenn keeps playing well, and isn't constantly getting exposed.

Stecher would be interesting but thats a very small pair, and Stecher is our best RHD.

Beiga... I honestly have no idea if he would work or not? But again very small pair.

So yeah, looks like Schenn is probably our best available option until Tanev comes back.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad