Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Ya that’s not how it works

I think it more or less does.

How much in-depth scouting can a GM do? How much would Benning have seen guys like Madden/Gaudette to have the credibility to overrule Judd? Maaaaybe first rounders, but you're basically just going to have to leave it to your scouts. They're going to have had way more eyes on the players.

And I much, much rather prefer Judd or Gradin to make the choices than Benning

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I think it more or less does.

How much in-depth scouting can a GM do? How much would Benning have seen guys like Madden/Gaudette to have the credibility to overrule Judd? Maaaaybe first rounders, but you're basically just going to have to leave it to your scouts. They're going to have had way more eyes on the players.

And I much, much rather prefer Judd or Gradin to make the choices than Benning
Oh ok understand your point. Benning does scout a sh!t load compared to other GMs...but likely their top 50 and not many players they have selected in the mid rounds. Agreed, feel better having Brackett running the show

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Wayne thinks 50% of the NHL is better than him.

To be fair a lot of current players would be monsters in Gretzky's era. It's impossible to compare eras due to the advancements in body science, training, general understanding of hockey.

What makes guys like Gretzky great is that he was just decades ahead of his time rather than raw talent. He understood the game far better than anyone else in the league at the same time did, but so do a lot of current players in the NHL. Don't tell me that Ovechkin wouldn't be an absolute monster if he played in 1987

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
To be fair a lot of current players would be monsters in Gretzky's era. It's impossible to compare eras due to the advancements in body science, training, general understanding of hockey.

What makes guys like Gretzky great is that he was just decades ahead of his time rather than raw talent. He understood the game far better than anyone else in the league at the same time did, but so do a lot of current players in the NHL. Don't tell me that Ovechkin wouldn't be an absolute monster if he played in 1987
Completely agree but it would be interesting as well to see the difference Ovechkin's shot would look like using those wood sticks they used in Gretzky's era.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Where does this narrative that benning scouts more than other gms come from?

Considering how poor he is in the other areas of being a gm wouldn’t it be prudent that he spend more time there to improve?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Where does this narrative that benning scouts more than other gms come from?

Considering how poor he is in the other areas of being a gm wouldn’t it be prudent that he spend more time there to improve?

It comes from fact, reality, evidence, observation, truth, etc.

To answer your second question, no. If you look around the league what makes or breaks virtually all team success is scouting/drafting and developing so it would be most prudent to focus on that.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
It comes from fact, reality, evidence, observation, truth, etc.

To answer your second question, no. If you look around the league what makes or breaks virtually all team success is scouting/drafting and developing so it would be most prudent to focus on that.

Scouting and development is a subset of what makes a team successful, it’s not the only thing.

What facts do you have? None of reality,evidence, observation truth have been shown, your saying it because you want to believe it. I’m asking a legit question has there been a quote or any shred of evidence that he spends more time doing it than other gms?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hockey management is like a big corporation.
Benning is like the CEO. He delegates a lot to scouts like Brackett. But in the end he’s responsible for hiring and firing the scouts, listening to the various scouts give their views on players in the areas where they scout and then making the final decision. Brackett is just one of the guys he hears from him.
In the end Benning wears the draft picks for better or worse. So Virtanen and Juolevi rest on him just like EP, Hughes, Boeser and the rest do as well.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Oh ok understand your point. Benning does scout a sh!t load compared to other GMs...but likely their top 50 and not many players they have selected in the mid rounds. Agreed, feel better having Brackett running the show

How do you know Benning scouts more compared to other GM’s?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Scouting and development is a subset of what makes a team successful, it’s not the only thing.

What facts do you have? None of reality,evidence, observation truth have been shown, your saying it because you want to believe it. I’m asking a legit question has there been a quote or any shred of evidence that he spends more time doing it than other gms?
Scouting and development is not the only thing..but on a rebuilding team,I would say its the most imperative.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Benning is like the CEO. He delegates a lot to scouts like Brackett. But in the end he’s responsible for hiring and firing the scouts, listening to the various scouts give their views on players in the areas where they scout and then making the final decision. Brackett is just one of the guys he hears from him.
In the end Benning wears the draft picks for better or worse. So Virtanen and Juolevi rest on him just like EP, Hughes, Boeser and the rest do as well.

Agreed. I would normally give a GM a pass for their first draft since the scouts operated under a different set of criteria. But Benning did seem to influence some of the picks so you could credit him for the 2014 draft for better or for worse.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He wears them, but that's because people like to attribute the picks to the GM.

The guy didn't even know who Gadjovich was in 2017, a player the team used a 50th overall selection on. Like how can you say Benning is an elite drafter when he didn't know anything about a 2nd round pick.....it's ridiculous and not how being a GM works. Ask Jim Nill.

Being "responsible" and actually being the drafter are completely different things. GM's don't really draft, especially beyond the first round.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So when Jim benning says he’s always scouting we listen to him and take him at his word.

When Jim benning says we are competing for a playoff spot the last 5 years we don’t listen to his word,

Correct?
In the last 2 seasons did Jim Benning say they were competing for a 'playoff spot' ,or simply being 'competitive'...?

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Agreed. I would normally give a GM a pass for their first draft since the scouts operated under a different set of criteria. But Benning did seem to influence some of the picks so you could credit him for the 2014 draft for better or for worse.

Yeah which picks were these?

Going off our pro scouting Benning's always at the wrong rink

Reactions: Catbug and timw33

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
In the last 2 seasons did Jim Benning say they were competing for a 'playoff spot' ,or simply being 'competitive'...?
Would it matter considering we know benning lies outright?
Google Image Result for https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsiwU8TWwAMwvrD.jpg
Google Image Result for https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8RnF29W0AU87Sl.jpg

May as well add this part in;
https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/press-conference-for-jim-benning-s-contract-extension-was-a-missed-opportunity-for-a-new-message-1.

“The bottom line is our goal is to win games and to be competitive to make the playoffs, that’s what we’re here for,” he added. Feb 2018 article

Last edited:
Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah which picks were these?

Going off our pro scouting Benning's always at the wrong rink

You know we're talking about the draft here right? It's the amateur scouts that do most of the work?

I think Benning had a role in the Demko and Tryamkin picks by virtue of Benning not having a problem with drafting goalies high and Russians.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
You know we're talking about the draft here right? It's the amateur scouts that do most of the work?

I think Benning had a role in the Demko and Tryamkin picks by virtue of Benning not having a problem with drafting goalies high and Russians.

Even though he’s on video asking tryamkin what league he plays in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad