Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
One of the most illuminating interviews with EP40 was one where he talked about how he improved his shot. He mentioned that 2 years ago (which would be during his 17-18 year old season) he couldn’t even elevate the puck on his one-timer slap shots. To go from that to among the best one timers in the world in a span of 2 years is incredible and shows how much a player can improve their shot in a relatively short time.

I love that. I get it, trying to emphasis your point. But you can just say NHL.

“Conor McDavid is the best player in the universe” = “Conor McDavid is the best player in the NHL”.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I love that. I get it, trying to emphasis your point. But you can just say NHL.

“Conor McDavid is the best player in the universe” = “Conor McDavid is the best player in the NHL”.

Are you familiar with the Drake equation? I'm pretty certain there's at least one Alien in the universe better at hockey than McDavid.. actually that Alien could already be a Canuck :laugh:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Yes McDavid is clearly better than Pettersson but that has nothing to do with the Hughes thread.

Have we got confirmation from anyone that if Hughes plays this year as opposed to next year would we have to protect him in the expansion draft?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
You need to watch more Edmonton games if you think Pettersson and McDavid are close.

I would say Pettersson is close to where McDavid is in his rookie year. The foundation Pettersson has right now in terms of shot, passing, IQ, and defence is extremely rare. Some nights he is our best defenceman in breaking up plays and transitioning the break out. Imagine what he's going to be like when he hits his prime, he absolutely has the potential to be the best player in the NHL.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
I would say Pettersson is close to where McDavid is in his rookie year. The foundation Pettersson has right now in terms of shot, passing, IQ, and defence is extremely rare. Some nights he is our best defenceman in breaking up plays and transitioning the break out. Imagine what he's going to be like when he hits his prime, he absolutely has the potential to be the best player in the NHL.

...and here we go again... you think you'd learn to tone it down and be somewhat realistic (instead of just being a blind homer)after all the rude, clueless criticism you recieved when you said Pettersson had 90-point potential. But no, you're just like : Come @ me!

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
...and here we go again... you think you'd learn to tone it down and be somewhat realistic (instead of just being a blind homer)after all the rude, clueless criticism you recieved when you said Pettersson had 90-point potential. But no, you're just like : Come @ me!

I hope you're being sarcastic because Pettersson has been on a 90 point pace this season.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
You need to watch more Edmonton games if you think Pettersson and McDavid are close.
Why are you always so aggresive in your posting recently.
If somebody thinks EP40 can be as good as mcdavid, what's the problem with that?

When a guy like wayne gretzky does multiple interviews telling people that he reminds him on himself, why is it so hard to actually remotely believe that he can be as good as this eras generational talent?.

I said it before, EP40 has all the ability in the world to be one of the best players in the world, in the same mode of crosby, malkin, mcdavid.

And there is nothing wrong with that what so ever. He is not random hype.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Are you familiar with the Drake equation? I'm pretty certain there's at least one Alien in the universe better at hockey than McDavid.. actually that Alien could already be a Canuck :laugh:

Do you understand the Drake equation? Though I am amused by your comment, it does not apply to aliens on earth.

If you add in the probability of playing hockey, it pretty much approaches 0 for the entire universe. So our alien is unique.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I never understand the vitirol that comes from posters on these boards, I've been a fan close to 20 years and I can never let myself become miserable over the Canucks and start having some sort of abusive relationship with them. Must be stressful to be most of you.
I love this quote from Jason Strudwick about fans and media:
  1. Ference’s words on how toxic the environment can be in Edmonton for a player when the fans turn on him are also worth thinking hard about. I’m no stranger to blasting the play of some Oilers. It would do us all well to try to keep our own bias and disgust in check when we comment on the Oilers and to most certainly avoid any personal comments about the players. Criticize the play, not the player. And try to be balanced. If you find you can see no good ever about a player, that’s a signal you’ve lost the plot.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Not to derail the thread by bringing up Hughes, but Pronman has him at #1 in his midseason NHL prospect ranking. Other Canucks prospects to make the list are Madden at #48, Dipietro #4 among goalies, and Demko as an HM.

Really good to hear, I really liked the play of Madden at the world juniors, my first impression was “really? This kid is gonna be a player????” And then his play spoke for him and I saw past his stature, looked like cliff ronning

Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Pronman: 2018-19 midseason NHL prospects ranking

EYDsZ1P.png

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Nice to see a Canuck voted best prospect not in the NHL....However,I think Pronmans overall analysis is generally whatever.....Mittelstadt over Pettersson..?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Nice to see a Canuck voted best prospect not in the NHL....However,I think Pronmans overall analysis is generally whatever.....Mittelstadt over Pettersson..?

Yeah to Me Pettersson deserved #1 last year without a doubt before the draft.

Hughes I wouldn't at #1.

Craig Button also released his list and has Hughes at 8, but Button doesnt put Boqvist in his top 50.
interesting perspective from two guys

Last edited:

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yeah to Me Pettersson deserved #1 last year without a doubt before the draft.

Hughes I wouldn't at #1.

Craig Button also released his list and has Hughes at 8, but Button doesnt put Boqvist in his top 50.
interesting perspective from two guys
The only reasonable explanation is he completely forgot about him.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Craig button definitely forgot about him if he seriously put a guy like max Jones ahead of Boqvist.

Weird time for prospects though. He has kravtsov, denisenko as his top 2 prospects

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Why are you always so aggresive in your posting recently.
If somebody thinks EP40 can be as good as mcdavid, what's the problem with that?

When a guy like wayne gretzky does multiple interviews telling people that he reminds him on himself, why is it so hard to actually remotely believe that he can be as good as this eras generational talent?.

I said it before, EP40 has all the ability in the world to be one of the best players in the world, in the same mode of crosby, malkin, mcdavid.

And there is nothing wrong with that what so ever. He is not random hype.

Wayne thinks 50% of the NHL is better than him.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Two years in a row we’ve had the top prospect at least on some lists. And Madden shooting up the lists as well.
Maybe there’s something to taking these smaller highly skilled players with great skating.
:sarcasm:
There was an interesting read in the Sun the other day about Brackett and how they look for that high skill even if the player is smaller.

Reactions: Tv9924

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Two years in a row we’ve had the top prospect at least on some lists. And Madden shooting up the lists as well.
Maybe there’s something to taking these smaller highly skilled players with great skating.
There was an interesting read in the Sun the other day about Brackett and how they look for that high skill even if the player is smaller.

Four years after most of us were saying that but a small change for the better is better than no change.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Basically let Judd and Gradin make the picks and keep BenningBrod out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad