Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Expectations for Hughes points wise? He might take a few games to get up to speed or he might come blazing out the gates. Either way I expect him to put up a PPG production next season while dazzling us on a shift by shift basis the way Pettersson did earlier this season. He will likely have trouble sustaining his level of play due to the increased travel and scheduling of the NHL so I expect a drop off around game 50-60. Still, he should win the Calder hands down.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Expectations for Hughes points wise? He might take a few games to get up to speed or he might come blazing out the gates. Either way I expect him to put up a PPG production next season while dazzling us on a shift by shift basis the way Pettersson did earlier this season. He will likely have trouble sustaining his level of play due to the increased travel and scheduling of the NHL so I expect a drop off around game 50-60. Still, he should win the Calder hands down.

Hahaha

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Next year I'd expect about 40-45 points and for him to oscillate between competence and a tire fire in his own zone. I'm not sold on his PP skills yet though I have no doubt he's the best we have. He's going to need to learn how to be more efficient with the puck and with his teammates.

That said I'm not going to whine and complain every time the kid makes a mistake. I'll cheer for him and will support the kid through his growing pains.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Is everyone already dismissing the idea that he might need some AHL time at the start of the year.

Kinda like Gaudette or what other young stud Dmen like Erik Brannstrom/Jokiharju are doing.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Is everyone already dismissing the idea that he might need some AHL time at the start of the year.

Kinda like Gaudette or what other young stud Dmen like Erik Brannstrom/Jokiharju are doing.
He played on Team USA mens team last spring..Didnt look out of place there...

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018

I think the AHL is definitely a possibility. That’s what these end of season games are about. It will give Quinn an idea of how close he is to playing in the NHL, and how hard he’ll have to work in the off-season. It will give the organization a good idea on whether or not he is ready.

I think he’ll help our transition game a lot but I wouldn’t expect too many points from him right off the bat. It’s not like he’s stepping into an offensive juggernaut. 30pts would be a solid rookie season. 40+ would be outstanding.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think the AHL is definitely a possibility. That’s what these end of season games are about. It will give Quinn an idea of how close he is to playing in the NHL, and how hard he’ll have to work in the off-season. It will give the organization a good idea on whether or not he is ready.

I think he’ll help our transition game a lot but I wouldn’t expect too many points from him right off the bat. It’s not like he’s stepping into an offensive juggernaut. 30pts would be a solid rookie season. 40+ would be outstanding.

I don't think he can play for the AHL team now that he has an NHL contract—he would have had to be papered down at the deadline. IIRC the only way for him to have played in the AHL this year would have been to sign an ATO with Utica, finish the season, then sign his ELC.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
I don't think he can play for the AHL team now that he has an NHL contract—he would have had to be papered down at the deadline. IIRC the only way for him to have played in the AHL this year would have been to sign an ATO with Utica, finish the season, then sign his ELC.

Sorry I didn’t mean that he should play in the AHL this season. Obviously he’ll be playing in the NHL. But by getting these NHL games it will give him a better idea of how close he is to being able to make the team out of training camp. If he struggles in these NHL games, then the AHL is a possibility next season.

Reactions: timw33

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
It will be interesting to watch him. I can't deny I'm looking forward to watching his first game. I don't think the Canucks have ever had a prospect like him. At least since the Burke era. The concept of a puck moving offensive defenseman is so foreign. I think the closest we've had in recent memory is Ehrhoff.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Sorry I didn’t mean that he should play in the AHL this season. Obviously he’ll be playing in the NHL. But by getting these NHL games it will give him a better idea of how close he is to being able to make the team out of training camp. If he struggles in these NHL games, then the AHL is a possibility next season.

Gotcha, it was the phrase about seeing how close he was to the NHL/offseason comment.

One thing working against us now is that we are burning a full year of the ELC, so we only have 2 years of ELC to evaluate him before his second contract and somewhat forces us to get him into the NHL roster sooner rather than later.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

No matter how he does in these handful of games his name is already written into next years starting lineup. And it's written in pen. If he gets sent to the AHL next year it's because he is struggling to adapt to the NHL by the time Christmas comes around. And I don't say that from a "this management is idiotic and will do anything to save themselves" type of view. I think that is how nearly every team would handle it. IMO, the only way Hughes is in the AHL next year before the US thanksgiving-Christmas season is if he is absolutely horrendous. Like the spawn from the unholy union of Pouliot and Gudbranson. And if that happens uh oh....

I don't think it will happen. I think he'll display some nice things offensively with how he reads the game and will likely be overmatched on the defensive side of things just because of how fast the game will move compared to what he's used to. Not to mention his size.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Why’s Jim make the simple things sound difficult, it’s a game limit not rocket science

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
If Quinn Hughes is healthy, will the Canucks medical staff lie to him until there are 10 games left in the season? Or will they tell the truth and sit him out of about 1 of every 3 or 4 games?

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He's going to have growing pains for sure at this level. But I think Travis gives his dmen a lot more rope considering that he keeps throwing out Pouliot for 20 mins even though he's worse than a pylon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad